System Tray/Exiting X1

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

System Tray/Exiting X1

Postby mvinarcik » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:19 pm

I wish that when I right-clicked on the system tray icon to shut X1 down that the tray icon would stay...that way I could restart just by double-clicking it.
mvinarcik

Postby w0qj » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:40 am

Yes, I vote for this feature too!

http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?p=6335#6335
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Kenward » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:54 am

Nothing unusual about this request atall. I like it.

Forget what they do with rubbish like MSN messenger. Do something useful instead. Emulate Skype and other grown up software. Allow control of X1 from the system tray.

You could also add an option to shut down completely for those who insist.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby BillChapman » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:00 pm

I agree with PGK. When I see an icon in the system tray I assume the app is active. If it is not, I don't want to see it there.

If what you want is a single click start for X1, put its icon on the taskbar.
BillChapman
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby mvinarcik » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:33 pm

Well, I don't use the task bar (don't want to waste the pixels)...but I am used to seeing the X1 icon in the tray.

What drives me nuts is when I exit X1 to save the processor load (on my laptop) and the icon vanishes.

And I do have a single-click icon on my ObjectDock...

It just seems odd to me that the icon can sit there happily without X1 running (just the tray app), then when I launch X1 and then exit it the X1 disappears.

Also, I second the motion for an index now choice as a right-click option.
mvinarcik

Postby Kenward » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:59 pm

BillChapman wrote:I agree with PGK. When I see an icon in the system tray I assume the app is active. If it is not, I don't want to see it there.

If what you want is a single click start for X1, put its icon on the taskbar.

Assume all you like. But returning to the real world, there are applications out there that are much more intelligent than X1 in using the system tray icon.

Just because the icon is there does not have to mean that it is active beyond using enough resources to be visible. If that load on your system is likely to bring it to a halt then you are in deep doo doo.

The idea that you use the task bar is about as silly as they get. Who in their right mind has a taskbar running? A pointless waste of space if ever there was one.

If you can manage it, try using your keyboard. It can hold many more useful options than the wretched taskbar. Or get some grown up software to the the job. (Powerdesk, for example.)

The presence of an icon does not have to mean that the software is chugging away. Just that it is there.

Of course, the best option is to allow those of limited imagination to tell X1 and its icon to go away completely while the rest of us use the icon to control how the software works.

The suggestion of a "colour coded" icon is spot on.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby w0qj » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:41 am

It would be nice to have full right-click X1 SystemTray options/functions all the time (index Files now, index Emails now, index on notebook computer while on batteries now, etc.).

Since I have a 1400x1050 resolution desktop, I can afford a double height TaskBar, with the X1 Deskbar sitting on the 2nd Row (bottom row) of the TaskBar.

I use the X1 Deskbar for:
a) quick launch X1 by pressing on the x1 Icon on the Deskbar, and
b) do a quick general search (press [Files] or [Email] and then let X1 launch & do a search in the background--while I switch to another program to work on something else for a few seconds).

Fit X1 Toolbar into Double Height Windows Taskbar!
http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?t=1452
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby mvinarcik » Mon May 01, 2006 8:04 am

By the way, X1 seems to sort of have the functionality I wanted...if I exit X1 from within X1, it leaves the system tray icon active. It's only when I choose exiting from the System Tray that it kills that, too.

Grrr!!! So close and yet so far.
mvinarcik

Postby Kenward » Mon May 01, 2006 8:47 am

For me, X1 behaves just as I like it on that front. Lots of software has a similar feature.

You can get it to do what you want by going to the "General" settings in Options and unchecking the bit that says "Show X1 icon in the system tray".

It will then close completely when you Exit.

You'll lose keyboard shortcuts, but these are meaningless if you are in the habit of closing the thing completely.

Closer than you think, then, if you care to look.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby mvinarcik » Mon May 01, 2006 2:43 pm

Uh, the problem was that I WANT X1 to stay in the system tray when I choose to exit X1 (stop indexing). It leaves the system tray icon in place when I exit from within X1 and kills it when I exit from the system tray.

That's the issue...see waaaayyyy upstream.
mvinarcik

Postby mvinarcik » Mon May 01, 2006 2:45 pm

Kenward:

Actually, see your post upstream agreeing with me! :-)
mvinarcik

Postby gww » Mon May 01, 2006 8:47 pm

pgk wrote:Summary of the request: make the tray icon behavior consistent - always there, or always gone when X1 is unloaded.
My add-on request: if it's going to be there, at least make the X1 icon visibly different when the service is unloaded. -pgk

My add-on request: make the X1 icon visibly different when it is updating
Regards, grant

Windows 7 PRO 64-bit
Outlook 2007
gww
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes