Just tried X1, a few comments.

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Just tried X1, a few comments.

Postby efortier » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:08 am

I just tried X1 for a some time and while it is something I would definately use on a daily basis there are two things that put me off.

First, I wish I could configure the interface better. I only have use for searching emails and files, none of the other tabs. I would also like to remove the search bar and only keep the "refine search" headers.

As crazy as it may sound, I would like the option of not having any file listed on the screen and have the search performed only after I pressed return.

Secondly, the memory usage is out of control. It currently uses more than 200 mb of memory. This is after I disabled indexing of file content and setting only file name and size.

Of course shutting the tool down adn restarting it fixes the problem, but I don't want to have to manage it all day long since it grows in memory at a really fast pace.

I don't use any other desktop search, so I can't do any comparison, and I understand that X1 has to manage a lot of data for providing the speed it does, but I run on a system without virtual memory and can't have it grab away that much.

Thanks,

--Eric
efortier

Postby w0qj » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:09 am

Glad you find X1 useful!

1. There is actually a way to remove all the unwanted buttons from both the main User Interface, and the X1_Deskbar (if you use this latter one):

http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?t=1904

2. Your other comments we'll let other users and/or X1 staff answer...

Happy searching!
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes