Requesting support for MindManager .mmap (or even XML) files

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Requesting support for MindManager .mmap (or even XML) files

Postby StillSearching » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:47 pm

I think X1 is an extremely useful tool, and my life would not be the same without it. Having said that, much of my life is inside MindManager files that are not recognised by X1.

- I have tried adding the .mmap extension to the X1 configuration, but it still does not index the the many files I have. It shows a .XML breakdown (indeed, MindManager files are really .xml files), but it does not index content and I cannot search for text inside .mmap files.

- I have tried to 'save as' MindManager files as .xml - but for some reason these .xml files 'cannot be indexed' by X1 (although it does index other .xml files on the system, but somehow it get confused by MindManager's (large) .xml files).

I have seen earlier requests for MindManager support, and would like to use this post for all MindManagers out there to support the inclusion of a .mmap filter...!

Who else wants X1 to index .mmap files ..?
StillSearching

Postby ime » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:08 pm

Dear All

It 's good that this issue has been raised again. This is far from the first posting about the need to index mmp files. A Google search shows dozens of hits related to this topic.

I have also written to X1 last year, and the year before, presenting the case. I noticed that back in May 2004, Mark responded:

'X1 does not index or display MindJet's MindManager files and we have no plans to do so. We do get the request a lot and we pass them on to our partner, which makes the file viewers (Stellent), but we can't guarantee they'll add support for new file formats. Perhaps we'll write our own...

'Another user immediately posted this response:

'I also use MindManager and I reported a problem to X1 that they are looking at. If you look inside a MindManager file (using a text editor) you will see that all of the text that you have entered on your branches is actually viewable and searchable as normal text (although there are lots of hex characters in the file as well denoting internal MindMap features). Thus any text search tool can find you entries in the MindMap. Unfortunately X1 seems to determine that because of the HEX characters that it isn't indexable and thus doesn't bother. What we need is the ability to define an extension and force it to TEXT index the file (this is what ScopeWare does (www.scopeware.com) and other document indexing programs do.
Once X1 have sorted that out then the whole world opens as many programs out there that use a proprietry storage system still store text in the clear.'

Back in 2004, the X1 staff including senior management used to respond with rapidity to such postings. Mindmapping will continue its growth across academic and professional as well as business settings, and MindJet is the industry leader in this software application. I strongly support your posting and urge X1 to respond, either directly to Stellent or with a proprietary solution.

Maurice Eisenbruch
ime

Postby seltzerman » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:09 pm

Here is another advocate for MMAP file indexing. I'd be lost without access to my maps. They transpose the data I would otherwize keep in an inflexible hierarchical file structure into a natural structure. What good is being able to index the hierarchical structure if the real structure of my data is not visible? X1 is missing a big and growing nitch if they ignore the close to a million and counting installations of Mind Manager.

I just started using it and it has transformed the whole nature of my consulting business.
Craig Merritt
seltzerman

Postby Dan » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:18 am

same here.
I have tons of MindManager files which I cannot index. :-(
Dan

Win 10
Outlook 2013/2016
Dan
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby igoldsmid » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:53 am

You could use google desktop search - then use the plugin from mindjet labs:
http://www.mindjet.com/labs/GoogleDeskt ... gV37vtzA__
igoldsmid

Postby Kenward » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:43 am

Then you could use "Watson" to combine your X1 and Google searches. Oh, that doesnlt work does it. The Watson folks are still working with X1 5.0.

I see Intellext is still listed on the "Partners" page. Might be a good idea to remove them until they catch up.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes