Code needs rewrite: UI should always respond fast

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Postby w0qj » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:15 am

Agree 101% with pgk that X1 UI response should be very fast, especially that we've asked for previously:

http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?p=5657#5657

a) Preview should be almost instantaneous, especially for large files & email attachments.

b) UI response should be fast (specially when switching between tabs).

I suspect that X1 has been progressively agressive in "compressing" the size of the X1's index to save hard drive space (ie: the one giant database that XDS uses for all of its searchng).

Is this correct, X1?

In that case, perhaps power XDS users can have the option to allow XDS's index to be uncompressed for faster XDS UI/preview performance, at the price of increased HDD usage.

- - - - - - - - - -
About 18 months ago, XDS still had almost instant document preview (on my 700 MHz notebook by the way). I started to have this problem: only the first time switching between tabs caused a very noticeable UI lag back then. Subsequent switching between tabs did not slow down XDS UI.

As an aside, when I switched XDS to a 1.7 GHz Pentium M notebook computer (about 3 GHz Pentium-4 equivalent) with 1 GB of RAM, 7200RPM notebook hard drive, the Tab-Switching-UI lag went away for a while.

About 12 months ago, the Tab-Switching-UI lag was back, despite my new notebook computer.

About 8 mths ago, the file/email preview speed slowed down so much that I started to comment (see above link).

Back then it was XDS v5.5 Beta's and I presumed that these optimization steps would be worked out before v5.5 GA was released.

All I can say is that the Tab-Switching-UI lag is still there with XDS v5.5.1
Preview is a little better, but IMHO my complaint still stands--XDS still is quite slow for real life heavy duty office work (especially when you need to preview many office file/emails to find the one you are looking for, see my above URL link for more).
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby w0qj » Tue May 02, 2006 9:48 pm

To sum up for the just released XDS v5.5.2 :

1. Tab changing is much faster now, and thank you X1 for listening!

2. For my comments on the greatly improved Preview Pane speed, pls see:
http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?p=6791#6791

Sorry for the slight forum thread hijack, pgk!
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes