Unremovable searches

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Unremovable searches

Postby twentworth » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:11 am

Certain default searches, such as the default "File" search, cannot be removed or deleted. My problem is this - I don't use the default "File" search, mainly because you have folders in the results (a really bad idea). So, I concocted my own "File" search that omits folders and some other file types I don't care about. But I can't delete the default "File" search - that option is grayed out. I can only remove it from favorites. But it still resides in the "All Searches" list.

Here's where it gets annoying. Every time I reboot the computer, it creates a new default "File" search (in addition to the old default "File" search, which is still there). So, I again ban it from the favorites list, but it's still in the "All Searches" list.

The upshot of this is that every time I reboot my computer, I get a new default "File" search that can't be removed. After a while, I will have 20 or 30. The only way to get rid of them is to reinstall. Any ideas on how to fix this issue would be appreciated.
twentworth

Postby Kenward » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:39 am

I do not see this behaviour. Sounds like a bug to me.

You don't say which version of X1 you use.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby twentworth » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:46 pm

I'm using Build 2868cz-ak, but this occured with prior versions as well.

Have you tried doing exactly what I did? That is, removing the default "File" search from the favorites list, and then rebooting to see if a new one reappears in its place?
twentworth

Postby Kenward » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:34 am

Yes. I did indeed remove the "Files" search. It is still missing from Favorites after a reboot.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby twentworth » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:23 pm

OK - I think I may have found the answer. I think it comes from the fact that my search (which omits folders, etc.) is also called "Files" - the same name as the default search. You'll notice that, if you try to create a new search with the same name as a default search, X1 won't let you. But, my "Files" search was created many versions ago when X1 didn't have that restriction.

My solution was to rename my search to something other than "Files". Now I can reboot with no duplicate searches being created.
twentworth

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes