Option to not do "on the fly" searching?

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Option to not do "on the fly" searching?

Postby Ichneumon » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:13 pm

There are times when it's really annoying to be typing a search criteria only to have X1 run off and try to search out what has only be half-typed so far. This bogs down the typing immensely, and often freezes the UI entirely for a while, only to waste time banging on the hard disk looking up results that aren't what I really what (because I'm not done typing the search criteria yet).

How about an optional mode (activated/deactivated via "Options", naturally) that stops X1 from initiating a search every time I type a character into the search boxes, and instead waits for me to press a "Go search now" button (which will appear on the UI near the search box when this optional mode is chosen)?
Ichneumon

Postby Kenward » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:38 am

I agree that this is a pain. There is a sort of way round it. That is to use the X1 Deskbar.

This is a Windows toolbar with a "search" slot and a set of buttons. You can rearrange the buttons, and decide which should be visible, by adjusting your "Favorite" searches.

Look up "Deskbar Help" within the Help menu.

Not perfect, but one way to reduce the frustration.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Ichneumon » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:11 pm

Yes, being able to adjust the "hair trigger" wait time would be sufficient for my needs.
Ichneumon

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes