Cascading searches

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Cascading searches

Postby dougsilver » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:18 pm

I guess I have asked for this before but I still do not find it being implemented (and again it stems from my experience with the old Magellan search program that was for dos but is still usable somewhat under Windows).

My use of this program is basically to search through my hundreds of technical reports (all Microsoft Word documents). What I am asking for is once an initial search is done and a bunch of files are found, an easy way to search just those files for an additional search term. This was something that was easy to do with Magellan but not obvious with X1.

Thanks,

Doug
dougsilver

Postby Kenward » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:53 pm

I do this all the time.

If you have "refine search" enabled, you just keep adding new terms to the search, picking whichever slot is the most appropriate, to narrow it down to what you want.

It is just so easy in X1 that I must be missing something from your question.

Maybe you could take us through a typical search so that I can understand why the current arrangement does not work for you.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby dougsilver » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:20 pm

I guess you need to be familiar with how Magellan works to get what I am after. Let's say I am looking for reports done for client XYZ that has the word liquefaction somewhere within the text.

With Magellan, on the main search screen I first type XYZ--the resulting file list on the left side of the screen are the files with XYZ and the preview pane at the right shows the text within whatever file is highlighted. I can then place the cursor in the preview panel and type liquefaction. If that is not found in the file the program beeps and I can quickly scan through the remaining files by hitting the + key. I do not have to go file by file--the program scans quickly until it does find a file with liquefaction. Hitting the + key again will either find other occurrences of liquefaction in that file or start scanning through the other files and stop the next time it finds a file with liquefaction.

In X1 if I enter the words XYZ and liquefaction in the search slot, it finds all files with either XYZ or liquefaction. If I enter just XYZ, I get all of the files with just XYZ (which is part of what I want) but then I go to the preview panel where I can hit CTRL-F and fill in liquefaction and, if this is found, I can keep hitting F3 to scan for other occurrences within that file. However, I have to start this again with the next file and then the next, etc. It would be nice to be able to have the program do the second search more like Magellan where it skips the files automatically and all I have to hit is the + key.

This explanation may sound awkward but those who have used Magellan know what I am talking about.

Doug
dougsilver

Postby BillChapman » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:51 pm

Doug,

Once you have the files containing XYZ listed, type a space after XYZ in the search box, type AND (all caps) followed by a space, then liquefaction. X1 should then list all files containing both XYZ and liquefaction. Does that do it?
BillChapman
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby dougsilver » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:39 pm

Yeah--I was playing around and discovered that accomplishes the same thing. Nevertheless, I found it a nice feature of Magellan to be able to continue operations (searches) on the files from the first search.

Doug
dougsilver

Postby BillChapman » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:24 pm

I guess it is no secret that X1 could be vastly more user friendly. PGK has been floating great ideas in these forums for years, but the developers mostly ignore him, and others who've also made good proposals.

Personally, I'd like to see an expression builder so one doesn't have to remember it is necessary to type AND in all caps (for instance), just pull it off of a pallette. Also, the path box could definitely use a popup tree - much easier and more accurate than trying to remember a long path name.

Oh well, maybe one of these days.
BillChapman
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:50 am

one doesn't have to remember it is necessary to type AND in all caps (for instance),

This is not always necessary.

Just type:

[word]=

It may not always achieve the "AND" effect, but in many cases it will.

To avoid case problems, what about "&"?

One of the problems with X1 may be that it is just too flexible, which means that we can all achieve some of what we want without bothering to learn how we should do it. In the process, we may not search as efficiently as we could. I really do keep meaning to read all those manuals.

Thus many of the ideas that come up here are redundant. Or rather, they are from people who want X1 to achieve something that X1 can already achieve, but they want to do it in their way and sometimes only their way.

While it would be wonderful to have our own personal software designer tweaking the interface to cope with our foibles, that way madness lies for everybody else.

My own preference is for something that performs as near as dammit like other search software that I use. Google for example. The last thing I want at my age, is to be constantly switching between different ways of interrogating software.

Ideally I would even use my browser to run an X1 search, and to be able to use something like Google at the same time, in the same way that other software searches. I gather that this is, indeed, how the corporate version works.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Re: Cascading searches

Postby linksavage » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:05 am

To the X1 Collective ...

A related question by a medium-term X1 user ... I have read and searched, and have not yet been able to answer this question. Hope its OK to resurrect this old thread, as its the closest I've found to my issue!

If I have entered multiple search terms and have a list of files that have matches, is it possible to highlight only specific search terms? To borrow the OP's example, his list of results each have both the words XYZ and liquefaction in them. How can we only highlight liquefaction in the preview pane?

Thanks a bunch!
linksavage

Postby Chris Wheaton » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:12 am

Linksavage - I'm not sure I fully understand the use case, but it sounds to me as if you would want to search - as expressed in your post - liquefaction or maybe liquefaction OR xyz - then possibly use negation statements to remove those documents that aren't the ones you're really trying to get too. Consider posting this as a support case with greater details: http://www.x1.com/support/submit-case.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby linksavage » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:01 am

Thanks, I will also look at posting a support case.

I should have been more clear on one aspect of my question. I wish to be able to highlight one specific search term inside the preview pane of a single file. Most of my files and emails have numerous hits for all of the searched terms inside each file, so using Ctrl+ to scroll through them is very tedious.
linksavage

Postby Chris Wheaton » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:59 am

We do not have functionality that allows you to search a string of terms, but then remove highlights from within the searched set of terms so as to keep the original searched for results - while focusing the preview on only one of the 5-6 searched terms. I suppose this would be a fairly interesting feature request.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes