lower-case / Upper-Case preservation problem

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

lower-case / Upper-Case preservation problem

Postby zenem » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:11 pm

I cannot post any reply to this thread http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?p=10409#10409 where I described the X1 lower-case / Upper-Case preservation problem. So I’ll continue in this thread.

Greg Dawes said "You can use drag and drop to copy files from one folder/directory to another without modifying the original file name [...] Please try these on your computer and let us know if you see different behavior." Yes, I do see a different behavior.

For the purpose of testing the Lower-case / Upper-Case preservation problem, I created a file named “AbCdTESTtest.txt”. I updated my index and the file appeared as “abcdtesttest.txt” in the Results Pane. Fine. Not ideal, as I already said, but I can learn to live with that.

Then I left-clicked on the file (in X1) and dragged it to a folder in explorer : the file was then copied to that folder and didn’t retain it’s original name format (“AbCdTESTtest.txt”) and became instead “abcdtesttest.txt”. I tried again, moving it instead (right clicked on the file in X1 and then used teracopy) : same thing : the filename became “abcdtesttest.txt”. Same story with different names.

As far as I can tell, the problem is still there and it’s pretty annoying. Should I try rebuilding my entire index and see?

My configuration : Windows XP, Service Pack 2, NTFS File System, X1 Professional Client Version 6.0 Build 3561.

Thank you for your understanding.
zenem

Postby w0qj » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:17 pm

This is a feature of X1, it treats upper/lower case the same...

One workaround is that you can use X1's [Goto_Folder] to goto the file in Windows Explorer, then move/copy the file as you normally would.

Hope this solves your problem!
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby zenem » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:39 pm

w0qj wrote:This is a feature of X1, it treats upper/lower case the same...

One workaround is that you can use X1's [Goto_Folder] to goto the file in Windows Explorer, then move/copy the file as you normally would.

Hope this solves your problem!

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, this workaround would not be practical at all.

Let's say I want to move all files containing a certain textual pattern into a specific folder, and all these files are originally in different locations. Let's say there are 100 of these files scattered around 20 different folders -- a very possible scenario (it could be worse: 1500 files in 100 different folders). Picking each individual file to move them all is NOT a viable option.

So I really hope they can fix the Upper-case / Lower-case problem at least for moving, copying or Drag and Drop scenarios. Even if it's not ideal, I don't mind too much if file names aren’t displayed properly in the X1 pannel… but IMO file names should absolutely not be transformed when they’re moved or copied. Otherwise, elaborate file operations from within X1 become impossible without destroying the original file name formats (which IS a problem for case sensitive OS or organizational systems).

Thank you for your understanding.
zenem

Postby Kenward » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:21 am

I have never seen X1 as a file management utility, which seems to be what you have in mind. I use it to track down the stuff that I have scattered all over the place.

My aim it to index file content, not file names.

The last thing I want is for the folks at X1 to cave in to these minority demands for case aware indexing if it means that the product becomes even slower than it already is.

When I want to do things with files, I use purpose written software.

Not knowing exactly what you want to achieve, I don't know if this stuff would work for you, but the fastest file searching software that I have come across is FindOnClick from 2brightsparks.

http://www.2brightsparks.com

They also make one of the best backup packages around.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Re: lower-case / Upper-Case preservation problem

Postby Kenward » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:35 am

zenem wrote:For the purpose of testing the Lower-case / Upper-Case preservation problem, I created a file named “AbCdTESTtest.txt”. I updated my index and the file appeared as “abcdtesttest.txt” in the Results Pane. Fine. Not ideal, as I already said, but I can learn to live with that.

Then I left-clicked on the file (in X1) and dragged it to a folder in explorer : the file was then copied to that folder and didn’t retain it’s original name format (“AbCdTESTtest.txt”) and became instead “abcdtesttest.txt”. I tried again, moving it instead (right clicked on the file in X1 and then used teracopy) : same thing : the filename became “abcdtesttest.txt”. Same story with different names.

I have just tried to replicate this behaviour.

I do not see it.

X1 just moved the file without doing anything to the filename. Indeed, I can't see how it would alter the name.

This was an existing Word file. Found by X1 with a lower case version of its proper name. I dragged it to my desktop where it created a copy with the original name.

Same behaviour with two existing TXT files. No harm done to the filenames.

In other words, here at least, X1 meets your requirement that "file names should absolutely not be transformed when they’re moved or copied".

I don't know what Teracopy is, but I wonder if you have something else on your PC that is getting between X1 and Windows.

Either that or I am not following what you are doing. Maybe someone else could try this too to see if there is a pattern.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby zenem » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:30 pm

Thanks for taking the time to retest the procedure on your side.

I've installed X1 on a second computer, tried the same experiment... And the filename remained intact. So, yes, there's something happening on my side. I have a couple of other file managers installed + other file utilities. I have no idea what’s doing it (it’s still doing it after uninstalling TeraCopy).

I must say that the reason I didn't think it could've been related to anything else on my computer but X1 is that all my other desktop search software didn't mess up with file names (well… they do display file names properly to begin with!).

Anyway, I'm happy it's not really X1's fault. :)

Thanks you for your patience.
zenem

Postby KVeil » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:29 pm

All,

First I want to say that X1 using all-lower-case internally for searching has so far not been a major headache to me.

However, one interesting observation is that even without moving files with X1, the file-names as shown in the X1 display pane change their case in a random manner.

If you go back to the screen-cap I posted to this forum some time ago (http://www.HL7.com.au/X1_V6.3560.jpg), you will see the two files "avalon po 2007-10-10.doc" and "Avalon PO 2007-10-10.pdf" listed. In Windows Explorer (and a few other file managers I double-checked this with) they look like this: "Avalon PO 2007-10-10.doc" and "Avalon PO 2007-10-10.pdf". In fact the .pdf file was created from the .doc file ... Now WHY has one file changed case and not the other? Strangely the original file has change to all-lower-case, but the derived PDF file is unchanged.

Still looks like a spurious bug to me ...

PS: I just re-checked the files in V6 Build 3561 and they are now BOTH all-lower-case. But other files have retained their capitalization...
X1 V6.3575 | Win XP SP2 | Outlook 2003 | 2.0GHz | 1 GB RAM

i use skype - http://www.HL7.com.au/Skype.htm
KVeil

Postby rola » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:59 pm

KVeil wrote:PS: I just re-checked the files in V6 Build 3561 and they are now BOTH all-lower-case. But other files have retained their capitalization...

Yes,I found it too.
rola

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes