UI design recommendations welcome?

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

UI design recommendations welcome?

Postby mschomm » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:05 am

Hi there,
I just learned about X1 Pro Client today while looking for alternatives to Lookout, WDS, Copernic and the like. X1 Pro definitely looks very promising. Being a former software developer with a strong background in UI design, I do have a few comments about the X1 Pro interface design and useability. As I know that these things only get in ones way while being new to a software, I would like to share my thoughts during my time testing X1 Pro. Is there any interest at all in this kind of feedback?
mschomm

Postby w0qj » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:43 am

Yes!

Please just post these here, in this same Feature_Request_Forum.

Thank you in advance for your feedback!
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Kenward » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:50 am

I don't know about the folks at X1, but I would certainly welcome a debate on the user interface.

Various things have come up here, bit there hasn't been a serious dissection by an expert.

X1 has always struck me as being good software that is sometimes let down by trivial little things. Some of them are very simple, like that alignment of tabs and words in the main viewing pane.

My guess is that you have more substantial suggestions to offer. I do hope so. While I wouldn't want X1 to go for form over content, but it doesn't do to look like upmarket shareware.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Greg Dawes » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:47 pm

mschomm,

Yes, please provide your feedback on the X1 user interface.

We always welcome our users to submit suggested improvements about what they would like to see implemented with X1.

If you would like to submit this directly to us, rather than post here in the forums, you can do so by opening X1 and clicking on Help > Suggest A Feature.

Thanks!
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby BillChapman » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:47 pm

Good to hear Greg.

PGK has made numerous very good interface (and other) suggestions in these forums for all of the years that I've been using X1. Maybe he has even made them using the X1 option you suggest, I don't know. I do know that I can't think of one that has been implemented.

How do we find out which ones the developers have decided to incorporate, and when they might appear?
BillChapman
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Greg Dawes » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:47 pm

Bill,

We are all very busy, and don't have a lot of "spare" time; however, I did run a quick report against our internal tracking system and found:

- pgk appeared on 96 different issues
- of the 96 issues, 44 of the issues were implemented and/or resolved

Granted, many of pgk's issues were bug reports, but this does show that we're listening to our users. So, while we are unable to address and/or implement every user suggestion/bug, we do try to address the most popular and/or critical issues.

Thanks.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby BillChapman » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:57 pm

Thanks for the report Greg.

Is it possible for you to describe for us how user interface changes are decided on? And are any upcoming that you can share?

Also, in the couple of days since my post in this thread, I have thought of one (or perhaps it is a collection of related ones) that PGK brought up that were acted on - those related to the preview pane; although I know many of his suggestions there are still outstanding.
BillChapman
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes