UI design: Actions toolbar

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

UI design: Actions toolbar

Postby mschomm » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:05 am

After encouraging feedback I would like to start discussing the UI design with a quite small thing: The actions toolbar. I really like the idea of having several actions right at hand for search results. But in its current state I see one big flaw: The action toolbar is implemented as being a part of the preview pane. As soon as you switch the preview pane off, you don't have it anymore. Since there is no inherent usage logic in modeling it this way, it would be better to have the action toolbar as a global toolbar. Also, the menu system is modeled inconsistently in this aspect: it treats the action toolbar like being globally available: you can turn it on and off separately from having the preview pane - but turning it on has no effect if the preview pane is switched off.
Talking about toolbars in general: It would be nice if toolbars were indeed undockable and movable as the help file tells you. I wasn't able to move them at all. If the actions toolbar would be global, I would like to be able to place it below the search results pane. This way the interaction flow would follow the natural top down reading direction: specify your search in the top area, view and select the results in the middle and choose an action on them at the bottom.
mschomm

Postby mschomm » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:21 am

pgk wrote:Actually, they are undockable: go to View > Toolbars > Lock Toolbars, and deselect it. -pgk

Ahh, thanks. That's the one bit of important information the help file won't tell you - and I didn't look in the global menu for this option. Which brings me to another UI inconsistency: Why is an option to lock/unlock the toolbar placement 'hidden' deep in the third level of the global menu while other toolbar customisation options (add/remove buttons) are available in a local context menu?
mschomm

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes