good virtual desktop tool to use with X1?

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

good virtual desktop tool to use with X1?

Postby djrichard » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:19 pm

Hi, has anybody found a good virtual desktop tool (i.e. a tool which allows one to run multiple virtual desktops) to use with X1?

I'm using X1 with dexpot, http://www.dexpot.de/, but it's not quite fully compatible. Dexpot allows me to designate which applications should be open and visible across all virtual desktops I'm running. This would be a great thing to do with X1, as I need X1 when performing many different tasks. Unfortunately, while dexpot allows me to designate X1 as an application to be open and visible across all my virtual desktops, such that I can see X1 on the taskbar for each virtual desktop, the reality is that selecting X1 from the taskbar only really works from one of the virtual desktops, not all of them. Anybody getting this type of capability to work with X1 with a different virtual desktop tool?

Thanks!

- David
djrichard

Postby w0qj » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:24 pm

If Anyone else feel the same way, pls contribute to this thread!

I've moved this posting to the Features Request Forum, for this product-specific feature request...
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Kenward » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:40 am

My brain is too small to be able to get to grips with desktop software of this variety.

I have solved the problem of screen real estate by using two monitors side by side. One is "wide screen" while the other is conventional format. So I can have three documents comfortably visible at once. My smaller, 19-inch actually, right-hand monitor is where X1 usually sites while I write on the lain screen in front of me.

Not an answer to the question, but an alternative way of working.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby djrichard » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm

w0qj wrote:I've moved this posting to the Features Request Forum, for this product-specific feature request...

I didn't think of this as a feature request so much as it is just a compatability issue. There's a plethora of virtual desktop apps out there, and I suspect X1 is more compatible with some than others, so I was hoping somebody else had gone down the same route I was going, but with more success.

Cheers!
djrichard

Postby djrichard » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:00 pm

Kenward wrote:My brain is too small to be able to get to grips with desktop software of this variety.

I have solved the problem of screen real estate by using two monitors side by side. One is "wide screen" while the other is conventional format.

Yep, I had been doing side by side monitors for awhile, but found even that inadequate when I had 20 other application windows open at the same time. My brain was too small to cope with that :P , so I had to move to virtual desktops.
djrichard

Postby Tod » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:40 pm

X1 only allows one running session per computer. Therefore, if you have a bunch of virtual desktops, X1 may be confused as to which desktop it belongs and only run on one of the desktop. I'm not too familiar with virtual desktops, so if there is a way to instruct the software to use the same instance of X1, regardless of which virtual desktop you are on, that might help.
Tod
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Kenward » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:44 am

I don't know if this is at all related, but I have, I think, persuaded X1 to use the same index with different Users in Windows.

I don't switch between Users, preferring to Log off and on. So I don't know how it handles having two users on line at once.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes