Create Backup-Indexes

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Create Backup-Indexes

Postby mrwul » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:55 am

This afternoon I had to do a hard reset of my pc.
After rebooting and launching X1 I discovered it had to rebuild the indexes (which is now going on for hours).
Assume, after a power outage, X1 will be going thru the same steps... ??

Would it not be possible to have X1 create a backup at certain intervals.

When X1 is relaunched after a power outage of hard reset, it should notice that it has not been closed down
in the normal way and should then seek for/and restore the backup advising the user to do a short update.

If the backup is created, say, every 1-2 hours, the update will be relatively short.

Sorry, if this idea has been submitted on earlier occassions, I cud not find it though.

==
mrwul
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:29 pm

guess is that something else happened.

I have had crashes, power outs and the like and X1 did not have to start indexing from scratch.

Then again, I don't know what you mean by "hard reset". Is it something different from a boot?

If you check the size of your X1 indexes, you will see that they are big enough to worry some folks. Suggest that it keeps a backup and they would get really worried.

Better to have an alternative strategy, which is probably what X1 tries to achieve.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby mrwul » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:56 pm

I had to reboot/reset my pc without using start/shut down, but had to use the shut down button on my pc.

That was yesterday around 13:00.
This morning 07:00 it is at 99,5% of the files indexes, so I guess it will need another 2 hrs before it has finalized the indexing.

so,all in all, 20 hrs...
==
mrwul
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes