Vista SP1 allows replacing Search by non-MS -- why not X1?

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Vista SP1 allows replacing Search by non-MS -- why not X1?

Postby rgbigel » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:22 pm

Hi, I would very much like to replace Vista desktop search with X1. Theoretically, this is possible beginning with Vista SP1, but the way to link the products is beyond normal user expertise. At any rate, the interfaces are now well-(?) documented by Microsoft, will you do it?
X1 is so much better than the rest!
Rolf
rgbigel

Postby Kenward » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:04 pm

Why do you want to link the two products? (I assume you mean Microsoft search and X1.) That is the last thing you want.

I don't use Vista, but it seems to me that all you have to do is to disable, or remove, Microsoft's search toy and install X1.

Maybe I have not understood your question. If so, just add some more details on what you are trying to achieve and someone may have an answer.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby rgbigel » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:34 pm

[quote="Kenward"]Why do you want to link the two products? ,,, Maybe I have not understood your question.

My fault. Of course I do not want to link the products; instead, i want to replace MS search. The reason is that the first version of Vista did not leave much of a choice. The UI of Vista / explorer implicitly uses MS search all over the place. It can now be replaced by any search engine -- thats what MS says.

Remember, the European Union made MS publish all interfaces, ruling that it was illegal to bundle search with the OS.

I looked at the interface docs and it looks as if it can be done. Since you guys are not going to be able to stop Vista, why not join it?

Rolf
rgbigel

Postby Kenward » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:48 am

rgbigel wrote:The UI of Vista / explorer implicitly uses MS search all over the place. It can now be replaced by any search engine -- thats what MS says.

That is a pretty vague statement. What does MS really say? You can replace MS's desktop search (DTS) engine with X1's. You just turn off the MS thing and install X1.

If you are talking about integrating X1 into Vista, and using X1 to deliver results to whatever MS uses to search, then that is a different matter.

If you can find further information on this, and perhaps instructions on how to replace MS DTS with any other search engine, that might give the folks at X1 some clue as to what you mean.

For example, Google and Microsoft hate each other enough for the former to want to stomp all over Vista where possible. Are there instructions on how to integrate Google's DTS into Vista. As Google offers several advantages over X1, such as the ability to index GMail, I would be interested in that for when I finally succumb to Vista.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby stodd » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:41 pm

I would very much like to see X1 used as a search engine closely tied into Vista as suggested. Actually, this is very close to a sensible combination two things I have suggested.

1- easier to get INTO X1 from the rest of the environment (http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?t=3412),
eg to search within a folder by right click/search (or ctrl-F) on the folder within Explorer (or xplorer2 or ...)

2 - easier to get FROM X1 into the rest of the environment,
(http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?t=3609)
eg flexibly to choose actions on a file or folder exactly as you can in Explorer.

Both of these are possible with Vista search engine ~ just a shame the Vista search engine is such a big overhead and so bad at searching. I don't know what the interfaces are that could make all possible for X1 in Vista SP1.

1 could pretty easily be done by giving us an X1 command line that controls the searching options, and 2 by trawling the appropriate registry entries. Those together would actually give most of the integration, and work in XP as well.
stodd
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby stodd » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:03 am

Code (kludge) for better integration between X1 and Windows is now available. Weak imitation of what rgbigel suggested, but a start ...

1 - X1 command line
2 - invoke X1 from Explorer etc context menu to search directory
3 - standard context menu, or other user selected action, on files selected in X1.

For description:
http://stephentodd.wordpress.com/2008/03/03/x1-windows-integration-helpers/

For download (including description):
http://www.programbits.co.uk/downloads/X1Integration.zip

Apologies for multiple posts: it applies to multiple threads.
stodd
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby stodd » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:02 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I really want this function properly integrated into X1, and so I don't want to put too much effort into improving my kludge. However, I'll certainly think about it.

Meanwhile, as a side-effect of the implementation, I have noticed that you can use wildcards and get away with enough leading characters in the column name to be unique.
x1send !do*=test
will fill in the Document Type field. If you use too few leading characters, you'll get the first field (in some internal X1 order) that happens to match.
stodd
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby w0qj » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:41 am

Thanks guys for your great suggestion!

You can now search RSS feeds, via X1's built-in X1 Web Service Plugin in X1 Client Professional v6.2 (Build 3591) just released:

http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?t=3655
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes