Removing the History in the Task Bar

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Removing the History in the Task Bar

Postby PJinNY22 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:54 pm

I tried to include this post in the relevant thread but it seems to be "locked" (perhaps because only moderators may post in certain areas).

Regardless, I used various key words to find a solution and found none except for a few unacceptable work-arounds. It seems to me that after a few years of people inquiring about such a feature being needed as an improvement, that X1 would have addressed it by now rather than asking users to play with the registry. See:

http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?t=30 ... highlight=

Play with a registry? Hogwash.

Being able to delete history from every component of the program is a feature that would be wanted by corporations, X's primary commercial focus. Corporations will decide whether to inactivate the feature.

I also fail to understand how any company could ignore the average user even if only a home user.

Is there something that I missed on this forum? Is there a way to do it with a built in switch, or is X1 asleep at the switch?
PJinNY22

Postby Kenward » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:18 am

From the tone of your message, I get the feeling that you are someone who is hard to please. So this advice is probably not for you. I just step in to correct one of your statements.

You do not have to "play with a registry" to clear your histories in X1. You just have to download the files mentioned in the messages that you point to.

These will deliver to users a series of .reg files. Click whichever of these you like and it will clean out the history.

This is not the same as working directly with the registry, which is, I agree, not for the faint hearted. It achieves exactly the same thing as all the other software that does offer the ability to clear their history. It deletes the bits that have gone into the registry, which is where nearly every software package holds its history.

Some PCs may be configured to prevent people from using this approach. These people, and anyone who is seriously paranoid and in need of a more powerful way to rewrite history, can download one of the many freeware toys out there. Here is just one of them:

http://www.filebuzz.com/fileinfo/38958/Clear_History.html
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Playing with the registry

Postby PJinNY22 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:45 am

I don't consider myself hard to please nor do I mean for the tone of my post to convey anything else than frustration. I do, however, point out that the tone of your own comments are overly controlling, especially a past remark made my you that "The last thing I want is for the folks at X1 to cave in to these minority demands for case aware indexing if it means that the product becomes even slower than it already is" (which I believe can be properly dealt with if the company decided that a "minority" voice exposed an important feature it wanted to include in an update).

You are trying to be helpful and I do appreciate the advice you give in this forum. Greg Dawes is clearly also very helpful. However, it is (however helpfully intended the advice is meant to be) playing with the registry). It would help if the advice was futher clarified. For example, the instruction is to "download the applicable .ZIP file and run the included .REG file." Does this file work on all operating systems, are administrative privileges needed, and does it have to be run once each time someone wants to delete a history?
PJinNY22

Re: Playing with the registry

Postby Greg Dawes » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:24 pm

PJinNY22 wrote:Does this file work on all operating systems, are administrative privileges needed, and does it have to be run once each time someone wants to delete a history?
Hi PJinNY22,

The answers are as follows:

Yes -- The solutions work on all supported OS's

No -- Administrative privileges are not required to make registry changes to HKEY_CURRENT_USER settings

Yes -- The solutions delete all history items "at that time" and would need to be run again after additional searches have been performed
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Thank you

Postby PJinNY22 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:42 pm

Thanks, Greg

I'll download the fix and use it.

Paul