X1 demands access to the internet and missbehaves

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

X1 demands access to the internet and missbehaves

Postby PJinNY22 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:16 pm

Below, are links to another post I made on this topic plaed on a different section of this forum. The text beneath the links is a condensed version of this post but with additional information. I’m posting here because it’s gone beyond a request for help and has now escalated into a FULL BLOWN GRIPE.

http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?t=3577
the discussion continues on the next page:
http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?t=35 ... c&start=15

What’s the issue? It is important to me to work in cache mode so I can have full access to all of my email when I am not on line. X1 does not do this (or, if it does, how to do it is buried somewhere in the mind of someone who works at X1 and won’t tell).

In a nutshell, this story begins with me noticing that X1 does not index my Outlook Exchange email unless I manually select indexing. Yet, it faithfully indexed the default email address in Outlook Express. I also noticed that X1 needs to access the internet for some bizarre reason. I wondered if the two are related as I tend to have my antivirus and firewall programs deny access to X1. In fact, in an effort to sort this out, I even set X1 to not automatically check for updates or convey any information to X1 .... and it still asks for permission to access the internet.

This begs the question as to whether to program only indexes files on the Exchange server and not those cached on my hard drive. In another nutshell synopsis, I’ve since determined that X1 does require access to the internet and there’s no obvious way to stop it. So, why does it not index the cached files? Maybe this is related to questions posed by others as to why X1 seems to not index their email.

When either of two computers are first turned on, X1 is set to launch and to index in the background. At that time, Outlook is not launched. Yet, there is no way for me prevent a window from continuously appearing that requires me to enter a password authorizing access to the Exchange server unless I close X1 down. Yet, X1 was configured to never access the internet.

When X1 is closed down, the box stops appearing. As soon as X1 is launched, the box continuously reappears. It very, very annoying and there is no way to stop if unless I close down X1. Indexing only occurs if I enter a password. If I shut down X1, the box stops appearing but X1 now can’t index anything on my hard drive.

As this happens on two computers that are identically configured, it’s X1 and not anything else. One of the two computers is a laptop that is primarily used for travel and is squeaky clean. Both computers have excellent protection and are routinely checked.

I do not know if any of the index settings in X1 for Outlook causes this. It was always my understanding that, when it comes to the indexing of Outlook email, by selecting “everything” that X1 would index everything only on my hard drive.

I decided to try to solve the problem by doing something I swore I’d never do i.e., plow through the help file to search for solutions. My reluctance to do this is primarily due to anticipating that whatever I’d read would not be complete or even clearly written.

Well, it wasn’t clearly written.

I found text on various topics related to cache mode, exchange servers, and how to get X1 to index the server. There was, of course, no section on how to prevent X1 from indexing a server.

So, I worked backwards. I made sure that the only feature available to me was manual indexing. In other words, I made sure that X1 was set to index NOTHING for anything (not for files, or email, or for real time indexing, etc.).

Guess what? It keeps happening … and on two computers. As I see it, the program is demanding that all paid (primarily corporate, since that’s X1’s focus) users must be connected to a server and may never work offline. Does X1 have some sort of death wish? Do they really think that’s the way to go?

If the program is capable of being set up to work only in cached mode and not access the server, then it sure beats the heck out of me as to how to do it. And, it sure isn’t worth any more of my time.

Support is, as far as I can tell, nonexistent since I tried three times to send a note and can’t do it. According to the error message given to be by Internet Explorer, their own server is either down or there is a glitch in the link on the support page. Either way, this is becoming a joke.

Yes, I’m annoyed given the problem and the time spent trying to solve it. This is a GRIPE board and the right place to fully express annoyance.

Paul
PJinNY22

Finally able to submit a request for help

Postby PJinNY22 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:31 pm

On my fourth try, I was finally able to submit a request for help. Even though I asked support at X1 to read my posts on this forum, I expect to receive a professional reply by email and not on this forum. I'll follow up here when it's sorted out.

Paul
PJinNY22

Postby w0qj » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:24 am

Hi PYjinNY22,

Thanks for sharing your issue with us, and do let us know how X1 solves your issue!

Just to clarify:

1) This forum is officially users helping other users type of forum.
Specifically, any X1 staff input would be viewed as a "bonus".

2) If you have paid for Premium or Standard Support, you can register your problem, and X1 would reply you within the ToS (Terms Of Service):

www.x1.com/support

If your Premium Support have already expired, perhaps you can consider:
a) purchasing one year of Premium Support, or
b) purchase X1 Client Professional, which includes 1 year of Standard Support.
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Feedback on the problem

Postby PJinNY22 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:42 am

Hi,

I did purchase X1 Client Professional, which includes 1 year of Standard Support. I am a corporate user in the sense that I want to access my company's exchange server. But, my workhorse computer is used for may other purposes and that's the computer that made me want to purchase X1. I have little to no use for X1 on my laptop because it's primarily used for email while traveling. There's hardly anything on it except email. If I want certain files with me, I put them on a flash drive or email them to myself. They are rarely used more times than for a single trip.

I installed it on the laptop in an effort to figure out why I can't work offline on my workhorse. As both computers are similarly configured, I now know it's X1 and not the installation.

I expect that the response will be what I need to do if I never purchased X1 (which I did for the support) and certain features were disabled.

If it turns out that the soluton involves deselecting Outlook so it can't be indexed online thereby causing X1 to index only cached Outlook files, then the confusion will stem from poorly written materials provided by X1 because that solution is not obvious to the sane mind.

I'm done trying to figure this out. Let them tell me.

Paul
PJinNY22

X1 Demands Access to the Exchange Server

Postby PJinNY22 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:02 am

Yuck,

I just realized that I have been using the wrong word. I have no evidence that X1 is demanding access to the "intenet" per se, only to the exchnage server. I screwed up because, to me, needing access the exchange server means being on line which, to my feeble mind, means they are one and the same as the internet.

It may be helpful to mention another observation - that when Outlook is close down another message appears (I sent this information to support, as well).

The message states "X1 was sharing an Exchange Connection with Outlook which has subsequently closed. You may be prompted to connect to Exchange again."

I am prompted, and prompted, and prompted, and prompted, and prompted, and prompted, and prompted, and prompted, and prompted, and prompted, and prompted to the point of needing to shut X1 down.

I can't make it stop even if I configure X1 to do nothing!

Paul

[/img]
PJinNY22

Postby Kenward » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:13 am

Many people have successfully set up X1 to work with Exchange and Outlook.

So we know that the process can work.

All of this leads me to believe that there is an issue with your connection between Outlook and Exchange.

Eavesdropping on the chat over on the Outlook Yahoo! group, I have seen enough to tell me that Exchange can be set up in various ways. The advice there is invariably to talk to the person who manages the Exchange server.

Have you tried that route?
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Exchange and Outlook, Yahoo support

Postby PJinNY22 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:24 pm

Nope, I've not tried anything other than a call to the administrator of the site who rightfully told me that since, without X1 loaded, everything works wonderfully .... so it's X1's problem.

I also believe it's X1's problem since it's X1 who is demanding access to the Exchange. I don't quite understand how Outlook or the Exchange server could be configured to solve it. I am working in cached mode so X1 needs to be configured to index the files on my hard drive. I hope the response from technical support is not that I need to make a series of archived files for X1 to index. I can imagine other problems that could arise if that's the response and, een without these imagined problems, it could not work for me.

I suspect that I would not have made any posts on this topic if X1 produced a thoroughbred User Manual.

This forum is a great place to learn and I appreciate the advice I've been given. But, unless someone else has solved a similar problem, then we are all left with the task of doing someone else's job (namely, technical support's). I shall get back with a response as soon as technical support does their job.

Paul
PJinNY22

Another observation

Postby PJinNY22 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:15 am

I turned on my workhorse and reconfigured X1 to function with all of its features so it would again index. I then loaded the main screen and selected "email." A list appeared with the most recent emails at the top. I selected the top email but the view screen reported that it could not be found (with suggestions such as that it may have been moved, etc.).

Then the pop-up appeared demanding access to the Exchnage Server and asked for my password. This means that X1 only indexed that file on the server because there was no duplicate beneath it that could have been the one indexed in the cached files.

I have to believe that X1 can be reconfigured to do everything advertized off-line. How else would someone be able to use the program on a computer when there is no internet access available?

I configured X1 not to launch at startup and have no intention of using the program until technical report reads this post and sends me (what I now believe should be) a thoroughly detailed, highly professionally written response with instructions that even an imbecile could follow.

I should think that various situations like this one would be written up along with their solutions in a robust User Manual.

Paul
PJinNY22

Postby Kenward » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:11 am

We still haven't established if you have been through some of the basic checks that anyone with problems with X1 and Outlook should consider.

For example, how many Profiles do you have in Windows Mail?

If X1 finds more than one it can have problems.

http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?p=10152#10152

There are also variants on the use of Exchange and cached mode in Outlook:

http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?p=9376#9376

We also don't know how much you have delved into the KnowledgeBase. For example, if you have tried any of this:
X1 currently supports the default Exchange profile, which is specified under Start > Control Panel > Mail > Show Profiles.

If you use multiple Exchange profiles, you may encounter unusual behavior in X1. The most common problem occurs when a user is logged into a different Exchange profile than the one indexed by X1.

If this happens, you will be unable to preview any of your previously indexed email.

If you need to change which Exchange profile you wish to index with X1, you will need to clear your index first. X1 does not recognize when the default Outlook profile has changed.

You can manually clear your index from Tools > Options > Indexing > Clear Index Files.

I found that and a handful of other things with a KnowledgeBase search on "Exchange cached".

Maybe you have been through all this and haven't told us, in which case, apologies for wasting your time..

I know that your IT administrator believes that "since, without X1 loaded, everything works wonderfully .... so it's X1's problem" but I have been around long enough to know that IT folks always take the easy way out and pass the buck.

I'm afraid I don't buy the line that it is obviously an X1 issue. Anyone who has been around here for any time quickly discovers that Microsoft is pretty good at leaving behind a mess that makes it look like someone else is to blame.

For example, Outlook works fine with PST files that are riddled with errors, while other software that depends on Outlook grinds to a halt. That is why here, and elsewhere, there is a common refrain "run scanpst". This often comes as welcome news to many folks, a lot of whom have never heard of scanpst, and whose IT admin folks often fail to mention it.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Using the Knowledge Base and Forum for problem solving

Postby PJinNY22 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:18 am

No, I have not spent a great deal of time plowing through the Knowledge Base and Forum for problem solving. Why should I? There should be a user manual where such information is collated and easily searched in one place. I paid for support, so why should I plow through everything trying to solve my own problems when finding the solution is hard. I believe you can tell that I did try to gather information myself on both before asking for help.

Earlier in this thread, a comment was made that "any X1 staff input would be viewed as a "bonus" [in this forum]." That's what I intend to do. Your advice to me is helpful because you're pointing to places where I might find a solution. But, that also means you don't know the answer. I myself don't plan to read every word written by everyone on this forum or in the knowledge base and spend time working this out.

As for your questions:

I do have more than one Outlook profile but one has never been used and the Excchange Server is the default.

I do agree with your comment that IT folks take the easy way out. Guess that's what X1 did when they write in the knowledge base "If you use multiple Exchange profiles, you may encounter unusual behavior in X1. The most common problem occurs when a user is logged into a different Exchange profile than the one indexed by X1."

Where's the rest of the advice, and just what is the "unusual behavior"?

So, they then write: "If this happens, you will be unable to preview any of your previously indexed email. If you need to change which Exchange profile you wish to index with X1, you will need to clear your index first. X1 does not recognize when the default Outlook profile has changed. You can manually clear your index from Tools > Options > Indexing > Clear Index Files."

Gimme a break. And, when it happens again, then what?

I've read a lot of your advice to others and to me on this forum. You're great, and I do appreciate all the help you give. In this instance, please try to consider than many of us (meaning people like me) just don't have the time to spend problem solving hard to solve problems. I will have to wait for technical support to do its job.

Paul
PJinNY22

Get help from your IT department

Postby rmschne » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:47 pm

Clearly there is some interaction going on that the folks at X1 do not understand and that they are and would be unable to replicate in a timely manner. Your IT department sounds like a rich source of advice and counsel. They have a perfectly configured Exchange Server, so they clearly know what they are doing and would be capable of energetic about taking on a new challenge to make your world better. Get their help to make X1 work in their environment, and if they can't perhaps you can get their help to get another search product installed that will work in the environment that they have created. Surely they will be keen to ensure your needs are met with respect to use the data in the Outlook/Exchange environment--all for the benefit of you, your customers, and your shareholders.

I use X1 connected to a mix of Exchange, IMAP, and POP servers. It just works. I used it because an author I admire, James Fallows, wrote about it. I tried many, including Lookout, Microsoft, and Google, and X1 the best. Accordingly I don't have any debugging experience to share.

Engage the IT department fully to work on the business problem...don't let them just work the technology issue. If they can't make X1 work, get them to give you something that they say will work and they will configure perfectly for you.
--rms
rmschne

Re: Using the Knowledge Base and Forum for problem solving

Postby Kenward » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:01 am

PJinNY22 wrote:No, I have not spent a great deal of time plowing through the Knowledge Base and Forum for problem solving. Why should I?

Because you have problem that you want to solve.

There are various ways of going about this. One is to work through suggestions that come up here. Another is to delve into the accumulated knowledge, such as the KnowledgeBase, and try out things based on what you find.

A third is to huff and puff and demand that someone gets on a plane, rushes to your side and personally fixes your PC.

You have had several suggestions. Most of which you have, it seems, ignored. It is hard to tell as your responses are mostly about the support folks at X1 and their failure to write a decent manual and help files. (I have to agree with you on that point.)

But X1 is not unique in providing limited support for what is, after all, relatively inexpensive software. Have you tried to get Microsoft to sort out any problems with its software? I always find that I have to seek third party help and to work through the MS KnowledgeBase. Fortunately, such is the size of Uncle Bill's business that there is plenty of free help out there.

Had you spent a bit more time investigating and bit less time feeling sorry for yourself you might have seen that the process of trial and error has been known to work in the past. The fact that other people successfully solve problems should give you some encouragement.

In the meantime, for the sake of your blood pressure, I suggest that you ask for your money back and try an alternative, such as Google Desktop or Microsoft's equivalent.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes