Deployment Manager - missing feature

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Deployment Manager - missing feature

Postby Ron N » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:43 pm

I am using the X1 Deployment Manager to set up for use with 4 different network drives: H, P, U and V. I realize I need to create 4 Bach + MSI X1 Installer file sets. That is not the problem.

The problem is that when I create an installer set, for example for H: with Version 3591 and the same was true for its predecessor 3575, it does create the correct files as it should. However, when I install X1 Version 6.2 (and the same for 6.1) with the created installer, I had to leave the “More Indexing Options” button in the build so that users can go in and adjust the folders as they see fit as to what they want to index on their C: and H: drives as well as what file types and maximum file size. Only problem with this is that the “Add Network Path” choice is available as well – it is with this feature where users could add their own network paths which is a no-no in our corporate environment. I thought in previous versions of Deployment Manager that there was a checkbox to remove “Add Network Path” to keep people from indexing mega-sized shared servers in the Indexing Options dialog box. Such a checkbox is not available with this version (3591) as well as the 6.1 version of Deployment Manager.

My only other choice is to remove the “More Indexing Options” button, but then that removes our customers from getting to the other options area which they should be allowed to do to modify what folders on C: and H: they wish to index or not index.

Please advise.

Thanks…
Ron N

Postby w0qj » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:49 pm

Hi Ron N,

So you are deploying X1 Clients for your company?

You have a valid request, how to restrict users from adding new (unauthorised) company network paths.

Perhaps the best way is for you to feedback this Feature Request back to your X1 representative, since your company probably has an account with X1.

This forum is simply user-helping-users here...

Oh, and here's the link to the OLD X1 Client Deployment Kit, but alas this Forum has been closed, so just for your info only...
http://forums.x1.com/viewforum.php?f=23
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Fair enough...Thank you...

Postby Ron N » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:50 pm

Thank you...
Ron N

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes