searching for "to:" AND "cc:" at the sam

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

searching for "to:" AND "cc:" at the sam

Postby tuberant » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:56 am

hello,

I often want to find emails sent to a certain person. For this, it doesn't matter if the email was sent directly to the individual (search "to:name") or was only sent via CC (search "cc:name").

Is there a shortcut so I can search quicker than "to:name OR cc:name"? something like "tocc:name", for example.

Ideally, it would search for all three: to, CC and BCC

Thanks and regards
tuberant

Postby w0qj » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:07 am

First, you need to add c.c. and b.c.c. into X1 search columns:

a) In your [Email] tab, right-click over your search columns, and choose [Customize]

b) Add the [cc] and [bcc] to your search columns in [Email] tab.

c) In your main search box, type in this search:

==>Search for John, in "to", "c.c.", or "b.c.c.":

(to:John) OR (cc:John) OR (bcc:John)

Hope this helps!
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby tjh » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:29 am

w0qj wrote:==>Search for John, in "to", "c.c.", or "b.c.c.":

(to:John) OR (cc:John) OR (bcc:John)

I assume you're saying to type the second line in, because the first line i can't get to work.

The second line is the same as he's already said he's doing though, isn't it? You still have to type in your search term 3 different times.

Or do I misunderstand your post?
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby tuberant » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:48 am

w0qj, i know how to use the OR search operator - but i don't want to type the same stuff three times in a row...

is there no abbreviation? or is there maybe a way to create custom searches that automatically search in several columns?

regards
tuberant

Postby w0qj » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:45 am

Currently there's no shortcut to this kind of "command line" search...

pgk's been pushing for exactly the sort of suggestion you've just made... so hopefully X1 will consider this in future versions...

In the meanwhile, we're taking the liberty to move your posting to the Feature Request Forum, and tks for your suggestion!
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Searching for "to" and "cc" is cumbersom

Postby x1_query » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:28 pm

I agree with tuberant. This is amazingly basic and I'm deeply disappointed that X1 can't do it.

I just upgraded to the latest version of X1 from a 2-year old yahoo desktop search based on X1. In the old version typing "John" in the "to" field would include both "to" and "cc" automatically.

Thank you w0qj for your workaround, but it is way too cumbersome to be practical on an everyday basis. The whole point of having a fast search tool is completely defeated if it takes me forever to type in my search. For example, I just tried to search for an email that I sent to Larry, Curly, and Moe (names changed to protect the innocent). X1 didn't find the email because some of them were in the "to" field and some were in the "cc" field. I will go nuts if I have to type "((to:Larry) OR (cc:Larry) OR (bcc:Larry)) AND ((to:Curly) OR (cc:Curly) OR (bcc:Curly)) AND ((to:Moe) OR (cc:Moe) OR (bcc:Moe))" instead of "Larry Curly Moe".

Is there hope on the immediate horizon or should I uninstall my free trial and move on to another search engine?
x1_query

Re: Searching for "to" and "cc" is cumbe

Postby Kenward » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:32 am

x1_query wrote:I agree with tuberant. This is amazingly basic and I'm deeply disappointed that X1 can't do it.

I just upgraded to the latest version of X1 from a 2-year old yahoo desktop search based on X1. In the old version typing "John" in the "to" field would include both "to" and "cc" automatically.

I think you will find that nothing has changed on that front since you used the Yahoo! version of X1.

The changes are improvements in other areas.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Tod » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:06 pm

I would not expect anything on the immediate horizon. We have talked about this feature in the past, but it is not immediately obvious how to introduce it without confusing other users (e.g. "What is this new addresses field") or doing it in a fashion that meets everyone's needs (e.g. some may want "to" and "from", some may not want "bcc" because it is not in their view so returned results may be confusing, etc.)

I would hope that the lack of one specific feature would be the reason not to use what we think to be an exceptional desktop search product.
Tod
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Re: searching for "to:" AND "cc:" at the sam

Postby tuberant » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:56 am

Any news on this feature?

My colleagues and I ditched X1 four years ago because searching for to:john cc:john bcc:john is just an abomination and incredible awkward usability-wise. Such simple functionality must be given considering the price.

Thanks,
tuberant
tuberant

Postby tuberant » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:25 am

Does X1 now support searching for all mails to/cc/bcc a certain name with a single, simple query - or not?

thank you for your support...
tuberant

Postby Chris Wheaton » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:34 am

Tuberant - Because I had not been with X1 while this was originally an issue for you I had to review this thread to get the background on this feature.

I then launched my X1 6.7.3 product. I added the columns CC and BCC - in order to quickly confirm if my search did in fact result in "hits" based on the emails CC or BCC fields. I next typed the email address of one of my colleagues into the main Search box and did in fact get hits for him in CC, BCC, From, To, all at one time...

I also removed the exposed columns to confirm that an item that was in my results simply because my colleagues address was in the cc or bcc field remained in my results - and it did. In other words you do not need the CC or BCC columns exposed to have X1 successfully provide results based on the fact that the recipient of the email was CCd or BCCd.

With these results I'd have to say that the answer to your question appears to be Yes.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby tuberant » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:06 am

Hello Chris,
thank you very much for your support.

The main search box also worked back then - but it also searches all the other fields like from and inside of the text.

The often demanded feature was to search to/cc/bcc in one go (but not any of the other fields) - because this is how humans think: "I sent a mail to Chris" and not "I sent a mail to Chris or maybe had Chris on CC or maybe had Chris on BCC".

So I guess there is still no simple way to search to/cc/bcc - and only those fields - in one go?

This would be such a shame, I was so looking forward to buying the new version :(

Thanks, Tuberant
tuberant

Postby pgk » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:59 pm

This should be reasonably easy to implement, but I suspect they're trying to keep things simple. If they do want to push this, how about this:

- Develop some kind of syntax for 'grouped queries'. E.g. how about square brackets.
- Have on option that states 'enable grouped search queries' ("Warning, this may slow down searches" or "Warning, beta")
- Interpret [cc: OR bcc: OR to:]tuberant as cc:tuberant OR bcc:tuberant OR to:tuberant

To achieve this, all you have to do is add an if statement to the command interpreter that does a 'replace operation' before feeding the search to the searching engine. That means: no new indexing tricks, and nothing CPU intensive. Alternatively, create a new search term 'af:' for 'address field'.

But again, probably they leave this out for simplicity. I'm still hoping for search aliases, so I can replace the text (frank OR bob OR hank OR jonas) with a single alias, e.g. '&colleagues' where the & would indicate 'alias ahead'.
pgk
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Chris Wheaton » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:14 pm

Tuberant - it is true that you cannot tell X1 NOT to display hits for other data that is in the email index but.. you might try tailoring the interface of a search so that it only displays results of the To, From, CC, and BCC columns... In other words, in the Email search go to Tools > columns. From the list of available columns on the left add those columns you need. In the Selected columns list on the right - remove the columns you don't want.

Now, do a File > Save Search As - save the search with a name that works for you.

With this you have a search that you can use that will only display the results from the To:, From: CC, or BCC fields (even while there is other matching data in the index...).

Another approach I tried which I think was quite interesting is I added CC and BCC columns to my display. I then entered this in the Search box wheaton Content:-wheaton Subject:-wheaton

What this did was limit my results so that only those items that had my name in the To, From, CC, and BCC were in my results list. Because I did not remove other columns like Subject - even though I asked X1 to not include items where my name is in the subject, if I decided I wanted to include those results I'd simply remove subject:-wheaton and that would be added to the results...

I recognize that neither idea above is as "clean" a solution as you're looking for but it is my hope that the ideas expressed here may serve as a starting point. I'm sure you can see that, with a little time spent creating and testing a number of more advanced search styles, you might in fact have the core search you want. If you then save that search you can reuse it rather easily by simply swapping the name or address you're truly searching for.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes