Signed messages - searching

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Signed messages - searching

Postby enphorcer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:43 am

Hello, I used to be a long time user of X1 Desktop. I stopped using it when my company now has everyone digitally signing messages. Not encrypting, just signing.

Last I used X1, signed message bodies weren't search-able or viewable in the Mail pane. You had to go to the Attachment pane which was very counter productive. I'm now relegating to making due with Outlooks integrated crappy search.

Has anything changed with the latest versions? Are there any plans to add this capability to X1?

Thanks
enphorcer

Re: Signed messages - searching

Postby Chris Wheaton » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:28 pm

We have been and do discuss improving X1 in how it indexes digitally signed email messages. While I cannot commit us to a better approach to this in the next version of X1 it is something that will be looked at.

Currently X1 treats digitally signed emails as attachments, and stores them in smime format. Therefore, you have three work-arounds available that should allow you to search your digitally signed email.

1. Since these are converted from emails to attachments, you would use the "Attachments" search tab in X1 and not the "Email" search tab to locate these emails.

2. Instead of using the Attachments search tab, you can also use the "All" search tab to find both the smime email and associated attachment.

3. You can also create a saved search which combines your email and your attachments into one search. To do this:

a. Click on the "Email" search tab
b. Click on Edit > Clear - to make sure no other search terms exist
c. Add the "Type" column to your results by using the Tools > Columns menu
d. In the newly added Type column, delete the contents (i.e. -attachments=)
e. Click on File > Save Search As
f. Provide a name for the new search (i.e. Email + Attachments) and click OK

Of the 3 approaches discussed above, I prefer number 3 as it provides a seamless view of emails and attachments at one time making it possible to view the digitally signed messages more easily.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby jnadeau » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:30 pm

Chris,

Can you confirm that the body of the signed messages is indexed and searchable, and not just the subject line? IBeyond that, what do the workarounds you mentioned *not* provide relative to non-signed messages?

Thx,
Jason
(been using X1 for past 3.5 years)
jnadeau

Postby Greg Dawes » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:57 am

Hi Jason,

As Chris mentioned, these digitally signed emails (including the email body) should be searchable if you use one of the proposed work-arounds.

I'm not quite sure what your second question is asking, but you should be able to find out fairly easily if this works for you or not.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby jnadeau » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:19 pm

I just followed #3, and I can now search the body of the signed messages - these show up in the view pane as attachments. So far so good.

Now - how to I reply to them or forward them? Which is what I do 90% of the time after finding the right email.
a) Double-clicking the found item in the search results list makes Windows say "unknown file type, what application would you like to use to open this file with?". Now what? I would have expected this email to just open in Outlook, but it doesn't - totally stuck.
b) right-clicking the item in teh search results list shows that Reply, Forward, etc. is greyed out. Now what?

Thx,
Jason
jnadeau

Postby Greg Dawes » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:39 am

Hey Jason,

- Right-click the attachment item and select Go To Item
- This will move you from the Attachments tab to the Email tab and highlight the applicable email
- From here you can choose to Reply, Forward, Open, etc.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Signed messages searching

Postby Michaelacoug » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:27 am

For some reason, even with max_msg set to 0 on my system, it is always showing me the last line that was sent. Any ideas how to correct this?

https://www.sportzfuel.com/
Sport nutrition here: [url=https://www.sportzfuel.com/]https://www.sportzfuel.com/[/url]
Michaelacoug

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes