Refining search results

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Refining search results

Postby bakad02 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:52 am

I'd like to be able to do a search firstly based on sender for example but then take a result, right mouse click on the subject and be able to either refine based on the field contents or more likely is to start a new search based on the subject contents. Seems fairly simple and I have this requirement all the time.

Ade
bakad02

Re: Refining search results

Postby Kenward » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:31 am

I clearly don't understand what you are doing. I do this all the time.

Fill senders name in "From".

Put word in "Subject".

Clear word in "From", leaving "Subject" alone.

Add search term somewhere else.

Simple. So you must have something else in mind.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby bakad02 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:40 am

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I know you can combine search elements to refine a search but that's different to what I'd like to achieve.

For example, I do a search on emails from a particular person and see a list of results, its likely to be a big list. I identify the email I'm interested in but want to see all emails relating to the selected one. Now, rather than typing the subject of an email in the results list, I'd like to be able to right click (or something similar) to refine the results based on the new information.

Hope that's clear.
bakad02

Postby Kenward » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:59 am

It still isn't clear to me.

How does your approach differ from the ability to "combine search elements to refine a search"?

Are you saying that you do not want to refine the results of your first search?

Are you saying that you want to start a new search using different criteria?

Are you saying that you want X1 to let you right click and fill in the subject so that you don't have to use the keyboard?
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby bakad02 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:49 am

How does your approach differ from the ability to "combine search elements to refine a search"? I'm searching on something general eg. sender and then starting a new search based on the results of search 1.

Are you saying that you do not want to refine the results of your first search? I personally would want to start a new search based on a right click choice.

Are you saying that you want to start a new search using different criteria? Yes, based on a right click selection or similar

Are you saying that you want X1 to let you right click and fill in the subject so that you don't have to use the keyboard? Yes. I guess this could apply to any field though based on cursor selection.
bakad02

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes