Drop down box for Path

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Drop down box for Path

Postby SeismicGuy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:07 am

I believe I might have posted a request for this several years ago (or at least had some email discussions with someone at X1). This is to have a dropdown box for the search path rather than needing to enter a path. In general, I think this would be much more convenient rather than manually entering in a path.

As I mentioned I primarily use X1 to scan through a couple of thousand technical reports (I write reports on the earthquake performance of various buildings for potential buyers/lenders) so that I can cut and paste excerpts in creating a new report. In my specific case, I have a folder in one of my drives that contains ALL of the reports I have written over the past many years (E:\AllReports). But what I have done for my own convenience is to create subfolders, subsubfolders, etc. within that main folder which segregates the reports by building type. For example there is an "Industrial" subfolder and then within that there are subfolders named "97UBC", "BadBuildings", "FairBuildings", "GoodBuildings", etc. So the full path for a well-designed industrial building might be E:\AllReports\Industrial\GoodBuildings and that subfolder contains all pertinent reports. I have one of my saved searches named Industrial and the path is E:\AllReports\Industrial. Of course ALL of the files within the subfolders show up which is fine. If I want to see just the "good" buildings I manually change the path by entering \GoodBuildings after the Industrial in the path entry. But it would nice to just have a drop down to do this quickly.

This is similar to most Windows app models where a dialog box typically might have a dropdown or browse option--such a feature would be great for the Path entry.

Doug
SeismicGuy

Re: Drop down box for Path

Postby Kenward » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:10 am

Have you investigated the use of saved searches?

Their value depends on how many of these searches you need. If it is just a few along the lines of your examples, it might work.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Re: Drop down box for Path

Postby SeismicGuy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:31 pm

Yeah--I have done that for some of my common searches already. For example, my reports for masonry buildings are in E:\AllReports\masonry so I have a saved search called "Masonry" where that path is specified.

But there is another reason that I would find the dropdown convenient. All of my reports are also contained on another drive and they are segregated into subfolders by clientname. There are about 40 or so different subfolders with different names (e.g., client1, client2, client3. . . etc. where client# is actually the name of the client). It would be tedious to create 40+ different saved searches and also tedious to type them into the path box. This is a perfect example, however, where a drop down that showed all of the subfolders would be quicker and slicker.

Doug
SeismicGuy

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes