X1 ® Professional Client Version 6.6 Beta

X1 ® Professional Client Version 6.6

Moderator: Mods

Postby Greg Dawes » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:21 pm

(Build 3738)

NOTE: Installing this build requires that .NET 3.0 or higher be installed on your computer. Here is the link to the latest .NET 3.5 SP1: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

You can download the X1 Professional Client 6.6 (Beta) by using this link: (link removed -- see the new version available for download: http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?p=13194#13194)

**Important Considerations**
- KNOWN DOWNGRADE ISSUE: Downgrading from 6.6 beta to 6.2.x (or lower) while saving settings will cause issues in the X1 index that prevent the application from launching. If you plan to downgrade from 6.6 beta, uninstall the X1 client WITHOUT saving settings.
- Please restrict all comments regarding this beta release to this section of the forum
- Any user upgrading from 5.5.5 or previous will be required to rebuild their index files.

Release Notes

New Features (available on the X1 eDiscovery Client)
The X1 eDiscovery Client is a new version of the X1 Professional Client designed for the electronic legal services market. If you are interested in a trial of the X1 eDiscovery Client contact sales at sales@x1.com.
Tagging
- Added feature that allows users to define a list of tags.
- Tags are limited to the letters a-z, A-Z and digits 0-9 with no spaces.
- Added feature that allows administrator to define a list of tags via a group policy object.
- Added feature that allows administrator to lock down the list of tags via a group policy object.
- Added "Tag" post search action that allows user to tag a search result in the X1 Client index.
- Added tag dialog which allows users to add/remove tags to single/multiple items in the X1 Client index.
- Added support to tag items in the X1 Server index.
- Added the "Document Tags" column which displays Tags added to items.
Annotation
- Added feature that allows users to annotate (add a note) to a search result(s) in the X1 Client index.
- Annotations can be up to 4096 characters in length.
- The "Annotate" post search action supports a single annotation per item in the X1 index.
- The "Annotate" post search action does not support adding notes to X1 Server index items.
- Added the "Annotation" column which displays notes added to items.
Search Session Logs
- Added feature that allows user to create a search log for a defined search session.
- The search session starts when the user clicks on the "Start Session" button in the main search bar.
- The user must define a session or select an existing session to log searches against.
- Search session logs are stored in the X1 Search Sessions folder under the X1 data directory.
- The search session ends when the user clicks on the "Stop Session" button in the main search bar.
Use of Tagging and Annotations in X1 Client local index
- Tags and Annotations for the desktop client index are designed for static content email and file repositories.
- Email and files updated, edited, moved or deleted between incremental indexing will lose tags and annotations.
- Given some email clients and backup programs update email/files automatically it is advised that incremental scanning is turned off to preserve tags/annotations.
- To export tags and annotations, display the "Document Tags" and "Annotation" column. Filter by non-empty columns ("-") and export results to Excel or CSV.
- For the processing of large document collections and de-duplication features, X1 recommends the implementation of the X1 Server.

Enhancements
• Removed Yahoo Toolbar from installer.
• Modified installer to warn users of expired maintenance on registration key.
• Improved Forward PSA for Symantec Enterprise Vault Offline email such that it now includes attachments.
• Added Indexing Option that allows users to set the maximum amount of text extracted per item.
• Added Group Policy Object that enables central management for the maximum amount of text extracted per item indexing option.
• Added "Schedule Meeting" post-search-action for emails in the results list.
• Added "Send Email" right click action when users click on emails in the preview pane header area.
• Added "Schedule Time" right click action when users click on emails in the preview pane header area.
• Added "Add to Contacts" right click action when users click on emails in the preview pane header area.
• Added "Send Email" right click action when users click on potential contact matches in the email body area.
• Added "Schedule Time" right click action when users click on potential contact matches in the preview pane header area.
• Added "Add to Contacts" right click action when users click on potential contact matches in the preview pane header area.

Bug Fixes
• Fixed a bug that caused Microsoft Outlook email profiles to become selected for indexing.
• Fixed a bug that caused Microsoft Outlook email profiles created through X1 not be removed on uninstall.
• Fixed a bug that prevented Ctrl-C (copy) from working on selections in the preview pane.
• Fixed a bug that caused X1 to crash at startup in CJK environments.
• Fixed a bug that caused X1 to crash at startup under Vista with UAC enabled.

X1 Supported Platforms Guide
X1 Technologies goes out of its way to explicitly test our products with a number of third-party products. Our goal is to test and validate that our products work with those products our customers and partners use most frequently. Just because a particular version of the third-party software is not listed on the supported platforms guide does not mean that the product will not work with X1, just that we do not explicitly test that version of the application.

X1 Server/Client Compatibility Guide
X1 Server v2.0 supports X1 Professional Client versions 2.x
X1 Server v2.5.x supports X1 Professional Client versions 5.x & 6.x

Symantec Vault Supported Platform
Symantec Enterprise Vault v6, v7, v2007 for Microsoft Exchange
Microsoft Outlook 2003
Professional Client v5.6 or greater

System Requirements – Desktop Client
256 MB RAM required / 512 MB RAM recommended
1 GB free hard disk recommended
Note: Actual memory and space used depends on number of files and email messages indexed.

Operating System
Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2 & SP3
Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2 & SP3
Microsoft Windows Vista & SP1
Microsoft .NET 3.0 and above required.
Email Clients
Lotus Notes & Domino 6.5.x to 8.0.x
Microsoft Outlook XP, 2003 and 2007 & 2007 SP1
Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0
Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5, 2.0

Unsupported Products/Known Issues:
• Plaxo – Versions of the Plaxo Toolbar for Outlook earlier than 2.0 may cause instability in Outlook when used with X1. http://www.plaxo.com/
• IMAP Email Servers – X1 does not support indexing of email messages when using IMAP mailboxes. X1 recommends always storing copies of email messages in a local PST file.
• Microsoft Outlook with MSN Hotmail – X1 does not support indexing of MSN Hotmail email messages synchronized with Microsoft Outlook. http://www.hotmail.com/
• iPodSync – Searching Microsoft Outlook contacts is broken when using iPodSync. http://www.ipod-sync.com/
• Outlook Express – When using X1 to open, forward, or reply to Outlook Express email messages with attachments, the new email message will not contain the attachments.
• Access – Unable to preview Access Database Formats beyond Version 2.0 or indexing any Access Database formats.
• The "Columns" dialog in the "Tools" menu currently controls options for only the first row of column headers.
• Indexing of removable media is not supported.
• Preview of PDF documents with the hidden text property turned on does not preview results.
• X1 does not automatically detect Outlook mail profile default changes while running. X1 needs to be restarted to establish a connection to the new Outlook email profile.
• X1 does not fully support multi-monitor environments.
• X1 must be closed when Symantec Offline Vault is updated.
• Deployment Manager builds DO NOT support push-to-client searches created in the X1 Enterprise Server.
• "Forward" post search action does not work properly for Lotus Notes email multi-selection that contains attachments.
• Performing a "Copy to Folder" PSA on items in a folder with an auto-forward rule causes the rule to be applied again on the items selected.
• X1 Installer will not start X1 after install in Vista to prevent conflicts with Outlook.
• Files RTI is not compatible with Microsoft Vista junction points.
• 64-bit operating systems are not currently supported.
• X1 will ignore registry parameters passed from Windows Vista searches for variables such as My Computer, Recycling Bin, Network Locations, Desktop.
• The F3 command in Windows Vista does not send a query to the default search engine if the cursor is placed in the Windows Explorer search box.
• X1 will not index Lotus Notes email that only appear in the "All Documents" view.
• The "Add to Zip" post search action executes only on items with titles/columns with latin-1 UTF charaters.
• X1 Client upgrades with deskbar enabled in Windows Vista will prompt a Windows Explorer re-start.
• Outlook Real-time indexing applies only to the following folders: Inbox, Deleted Items, and Sent Items.
• Norton 360 on-access firewall and Symantec Endpoint Protection may cause X1 startup problems which result in "Remote Procedure Call Failed".
• X1 does not support double byte characters in the installation or data directory paths.
• X1 does not support double byte characters for the Mozilla Thunderbird and Outlook Express mail clients.
• X1 does not support double byte characters for Lotus Notes passwords.
• X1 only supports PST paths and MAPI profiles that contain characters that map to the locale regional settings.
• A change in locale regional settings requires the user to rename profile names/PST file paths and re-build the X1 index.
• X1 does not support drag & drop of an email with CJK characters in the subject to Outlook 2003.
• X1 search highlighting for files has been turned off for queries that contain CJK characters.
• Multi-row saved searches are no longer supported starting in version 6.5 and above.

Upgrade Considerations:
The following settings will not be preserved upon an upgrade to the 6.0 Professional client:
• Changes to the actions toolbar.
• The "Load X1 at Startup" setting.

Windows Vista User Access Control (UAC) Considerations:
• The following actions require administrator authentication:
- The ability to install X1.
- Registering the product for all users.
- Setting shortcut settings for all users.
- Adding/removing plugins.
• For these actions, an authentication dialog will prompt for a username and password with administrator privileges.

To disable Windows Search on Vista follow these steps:
1. Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.
2. Find the "Windows Search" service.
3. Right-click on the "Windows Search" service and select Properties from the menu.
4. On the Properties > General tab, click the "Stop" button to halt the service, and select "Disabled" from the Startup type pulldown.
5. Click OK to apply the new settings and close the Properties dialog.
Last edited by Greg Dawes on Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby tjh » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:11 am

Greg,

I assume, having installed 6.6, that we need a eDiscovery key to enable the listed new features?

Tim
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Re: X1 ® Professional Client Version 6.6 Beta

Postby Kenward » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:07 am

Greg Dawes wrote:Enhancements

At last! One giant leap forward.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Kenward » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:12 am

tjh wrote:Greg,

I assume, having installed 6.6, that we need a eDiscovery key to enable the listed new features?

Tim

The install also told me that my registration is not valid.

It offered to install a limited trial.

Before I do that I want to know the likely cost of buying the upgrade.

It may be that I would be better off just going back to the last official release of the previous version.

It also isn't that clear to me which of the new features is not in the eDiscovery thing.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Greg Dawes » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:15 am

tjh wrote:Greg,

Tim
Tim,

Yes, that is correct. There are special registration codes that will unlock the eDiscovery feature set.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby tjh » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:22 am

@Greg Dawes: Well, I can think a few ways you could get yourselves a few more beta testers for these new features. Trial keys for forum members maybe?

@Kenward: That's annoying. I didn't realise they were now enforcing the life of the license key. I recently got an email saying that my one year of support was almost up, with an offer to buy a new license for a year for half price.

So I took them up on that offer, thought I might as well support X1. So I was able to install this beta (strange how it's gone from RC back to beta!) without problems.

As you can see though, I just have a professional key, so I can't test drive any of the eDiscovery only features. The only differences I can see between 6.5 and 6.6 is the option to specifiy the amount of text per file to index, in Megabytes. X1: Any advice on what exactly this affects, or what the best setting is?
The only things that affect us users with a regular key are listed under the Enhancements heading. Anything above that is eDiscovery specific.

Tim
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:58 am

I've never received any notification of an expired "year of support". And to be honest, I have never really sought support for X1. Except here.

I will have to investigate. But without some new features, I am reluctant to even try the new version.

I am still regretting the fact that I tried the RC, such is its poor performance in comparison with earlier, non .Net, versions.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

X1 Perpetual License

Postby BNM » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:24 am

I also installed X1 6.6 beta and got the invalid registration key message. I thought the license key was perpetual. If it isn't, how much is it to upgrade to 6.6 when released and what is the cost to get the eDiscovery features enabled?
BNM

Postby Kenward » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:36 am

I have just noticed a shorter blog item about the new release.

This tells me:

The 6.6 client fixes several improvements/bug fixes since version 6.5 and introduces a neat feature in the preview pane: the ability to highlight and search for names and emails. This new feature is integrated with three actions: send email, add to contacts and schedule time. We’ve leveraged our email indexing process to match proper names with email addresses and create a new database of pseudo-contacts. This new database is used to provide X1 style matches against highlighted names in the preview area. Try it out and let us know what you think.

So there is something new in this version.

Maybe this was mentioned in the long note, but it was buried in with a lot of other stuff.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Re: X1 Perpetual License

Postby Greg Dawes » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:24 am

BNM wrote:I also installed X1 6.6 beta and got the invalid registration key message. I thought the license key was perpetual. If it isn't, how much is it to upgrade to 6.6 when released and what is the cost to get the eDiscovery features enabled?
Hi BNM,

While you do have a perpetual license, this does not mean that your registration code (i.e. license key) will unlock any new version of X1 which may be released.

Please review this forum post where licensing is discussed, http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?p=11820#11820 -- specifically the fourth bullet point.

Thanks.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Re: X1 ® Professional Client Version 6.6 Beta

Postby Greg Dawes » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:58 pm

Kenward wrote:
Greg Dawes wrote:Enhancements

At last! One giant leap forward.
:-)
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby tjh » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:53 am

I have been using the new beta for a couple of days.

Here's a few things I've noticed:

The interface seems a lot slower. The find as you type will often pause, then rush to catch up. X1 is almost unusable when X1Service is doing something, which brings me to my next point.

X1Service seems to be running a lot more than vs 6.2.3. Every time I look at my processes, X1 is either Optimising or Indexing. This seems to be happening a lot more than it ever did with 6.2.3, especially all these optimisation runs.

Update: Turning off "Real Time Indexing" for files seems to curb the X1 desire to run X1Service all the time.

This is on an XP Pro SP3 Laptop. If there's any debug info I can provide, please let me know.
TiM
X1 Search v8.5.1 - 6001se (64 Bit)
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:42 am

Did you move to the beta straight from 6.2.3?

The "RC" version was a lot slower than 6.2.3. But like others, well one other, the new beta seems to be a bit faster than the RC. I wouldn't say that it is as fast as 6.2.3. I can't remember.

I have also seen some very slow behaviour with find as you type. Indeed, it sometimes just hangs there.

I have managed to dislodge this by using the X1 Deskbar to launch the same search. X1 then abandons the hung search and immediately finds the new search, even though it may be the same thing.

As to the background processing, like you I find that from time to time it makes my PC all but unusable. I will try the RTI trick to see if it helps.

By the way, I earlier reported sluggish response to the control keys for waking up X1. It is much quicker to respond when using the X1 Deskbar.

Has anyone else got feedback on these issues?
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby tjh » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:03 pm

I did try the 6.5 RC, but then moved back to 6.2.3, as I have done again now.

6.6b was definitely less sluggish than 6.5rc, but still I think 6.2.3 performs much better. The thing about 6.6b was that it just consistently wanted to index or optimise. It spent about 75% of the time "doing something", which was raising the CPU temp and fan speed of my laptop. 6.2.3 doesn't do this.

I don't use the deskbar at all, because with those arrows that you can't remove (so frustrating!) it takes up too much screen real estate on my laptop.

To X1: I'm happy to reinstall 6.6b and do some tests or debugs or something if it'll help diagnose the problem. Turning off RTI fixed the consistent indexing/optimising cycle.

Tim
TiM
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:17 pm

The new beta has not been around long enough for all but the fastest PC left for days to have completed any indexing and optimisation it needs to settle down.

I say this because my experience is that the new version does not happily accept old indexes. Here at least it has been doing strange things.

Duplicated index entries in email. PDF index count not what I would expect.

In theory, perhaps, it should pick up from where it left off. But it does not look like that to me.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby tjh » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:21 pm

Well when I removed 6.6b and went back to 6.2.3, it only took a couple of hours to index everything.

I'm only indexing my laptop's HD (~60G), a 1Gig PST file and my Thunderbird Index. Once it'd done that, it seems quite happy again.

6.6b had indexed everything fully. It just wanted to keep indexing every 15-20 minutes, then spend ages optimising.

Rolling back, once the initial long index is over (~2 hours of being left alone) it's back to its old, unobtrusive self.

So I think there's certainly something different between the two builds.

Maybe I was just being overly conscious with 6.6b though?

Are there any other forum members using 6.6b who can comment?
TiM
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby bk3 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:13 am

Just as a thought for you X1-people:

Instead of just answering the specific questions in this forum about absoute show stoppers like installation keys etc., perhaps you could elaborate a little more on your intentions with this (these) new releases - in the areas of performance and ease of use. It appears to be a bit demotivating having to try out the releases - just to discover that they are too slow compared to previous releases to be of interest.
bk3

Postby Trajan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:31 am

tjh wrote:I did try the 6.5 RC, but then moved back to 6.2.3, as I have done again now.

6.6b was definitely less sluggish than 6.5rc, but still I think 6.2.3 performs much better. The thing about 6.6b was that it just consistently wanted to index or optimise. It spent about 75% of the time "doing something", which was raising the CPU temp and fan speed of my laptop. 6.2.3 doesn't do this.

I don't use the deskbar at all, because with those arrows that you can't remove (so frustrating!) it takes up too much screen real estate on my laptop.

To X1: I'm happy to reinstall 6.6b and do some tests or debugs or something if it'll help diagnose the problem. Turning off RTI fixed the consistent indexing/optimising cycle.

Tim

I'm running 6.5 RC and don't intend to update to 6.6 Beta. However, 6.5 has the annoying habit (posted in a thread) of not minimizing to system tray at start. It has also been crashing a lot on me lately.

If I wanted to go back to 6.2.3 where can I find it? I don't have the installer and need it.
Trajan
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:26 am

I can see no point in sticking with the 6.5 RC. There are some slight improvements in performance in 6.6 beta. It does not, though, sort out the irritating failure to minimise on launch.

If you don't want to move to 6.6 then you would be better off reverting to the last proper release.

Just uninstall and reinstall.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Greg Dawes » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:39 pm

Hi Tim,

In response to your posts, and particularly this sentence, "It just wanted to keep indexing every 15-20 minutes, then spend ages optimizing", please answer the following:

- when upgrading/downgrading between 6.2.3 and 6.5/6.6, are you completely uninstalling or did you choose to save your current preferences/settings?

- when you disabled RTI, can you confirm this is Files RTI?

- you indicate that 6.6 seems to index every 15-20 minutes, can you check the incremental index settings in the various Tools > Options screens to confirm what they are? (Are they consistent with the settings you have/had while operating under 6.2.3?)

- with respects to RTI churn, can you let me know if you've moved (or renamed) a large numbers of files and/or emails around on your file system?

- since you indicate that disabling RTI seems to help, can you tell me if you typically operate with RTI enabled in 6.2.3 (the default setting)--or is this typically disabled?

- Also, let me know your "Indexing Priority" setting found on the Tools > Options > Indexing screen? Is this setting consistent through each of the X1 versions you've had installed. If you alter this setting with v6.6, does this seem to have any effect?

Tim, I will also be sending you a separate email for the diagnostic tool output files - you should be receiving this shortly.

Thanks for your help with this.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby tjh » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:18 am

Greg Dawes wrote:Hi Tim,

In response to your posts, and particularly this sentence, "It just wanted to keep indexing every 15-20 minutes, then spend ages optimizing", please answer the following:

- when upgrading/downgrading between 6.2.3 and 6.5/6.6, are you completely uninstalling or did you choose to save your current preferences/settings?

I was installing "Over the top" of 6.2.3, i.e. keeping the existing settings. When I downgraded though, I made sure X1 removed all settings and even then checked to make sure there was nothing left for a fresh 6.2.3 install.

Do you think it's worth doing a fresh 6.6b install, not an upgrade? Happy to try this today.

Greg Dawes wrote:
    - when you disabled RTI, can you confirm this is Files RTI?

Yes, it was only Files RTI that was disabled. Outlook RTI was kept enabled, even though I don't use Outlook for my Mail.

Greg Dawes wrote:
    - you indicate that 6.6 seems to index every 15-20 minutes, can you check the incremental index settings in the various Tools > Options screens to confirm what they are? (Are they consistent with the settings you have/had while operating under 6.2.3?)

They would have been consistant with 6.2.3, which was to run once a day at 8:30pm (or maybe 10pm, I forget.) I will perform an install of 6.6b over the top of 6.2.3 later today and check all settings carry over correctly.

Greg Dawes wrote:
    - with respects to RTI churn, can you let me know if you've moved (or renamed) a large numbers of files and/or emails around on your file system?

No, the filesystem was fairly static during the time it kept wanting to index. Probably there would have been cache files created/modified by Firefox, but that's about all.

Greg Dawes wrote:
    - since you indicate that disabling RTI seems to help, can you tell me if you typically operate with RTI enabled in 6.2.3 (the default setting)--or is this typically disabled?

Yes, always have RTI enabled with 6.2.3. It doesn't seem to cause much performance impact at all and I find the ability to search recently created documents helpful.

Greg Dawes wrote:
    - Also, let me know your "Indexing Priority" setting found on the Tools > Options > Indexing screen? Is this setting consistent through each of the X1 versions you've had installed. If you alter this setting with v6.6, does this seem to have any effect?

I will test this again today.

Greg Dawes wrote:Tim, I will also be sending you a separate email for the diagnostic tool output files - you should be receiving this shortly.

Thanks for your help with this.

No worries. I'll do some testing, take some debugs and forward them on.

Tim
TiM
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby RogerD » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:02 am

Trajan wrote:
If I wanted to go back to 6.2.3 where can I find it? I don't have the installer and need it.

Yes I've had enough too and I've have to reinstall 6.2.2.

I couldn't install 6.2.3 as the upgrade link has EXPIRED while I've been using the 6.5RC!

Another tightening of the "perpetual" licence?

Roger
A long standing loyal user
RogerD

Postby tjh » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:06 am

RogerD wrote:
Trajan wrote:

Yes I've had enough too and I've have to reinstall 6.2.2.

I couldn't install 6.2.3 as the upgrade link has EXPIRED while I've been using the 6.5RC!

Another tightening of the "perpetual" licence?

Roger
A long standing loyal user

X1 isn't alone in tightening up their search offering. Copernic moved a lot of their features into a Paid version recently.

Anyway, that's not the main point of my post. If you want v6.2.3, you can just download the trial version. It's the same binary as the full version and as long as you have a license key (which you obviously do), you'll be able to use it.

Tim
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:55 am

RogerD wrote:I couldn't install 6.2.3 as the upgrade link has EXPIRED while I've been using the 6.5RC!

The link to 6.2.3 is still there where it has always been.

Just log in to the support portal and retrieve a copy.

You will find versions going back to 5.6.4.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby tjh » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:53 am

Just to follow up for those people following the "progress" of the X1 6.6beta, it seems that a fresh install fixed my problems with constant indexing. I also wonder if maybe I did change some settings, probably the indexing aggressiveness.

So for those wondering, it's probably worth giving the 6.6b a try, but don't keep your existing settings.

Having said, I have just opened a case with X1 today, it seems that X1 is now locking up (100% CPU) on a regular basis, requiring X1Service.exe to be killed.

I think it relates to Thunderbird mail though.

Tim
TiM
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

X1Service.exe up to 100% CPU time

Postby bgfraser » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:22 am

I also have trouble doing anything on the computer for several minutes after X1 starts. Using Task Manager, I see that X1Service.exe is the culprit: it takes up 90-100% of CPU time.

These are the settings in Options:
- Basic: Load X1 at startup
- Indexing: Always delay indexing if PC is in use
- Files: Index local files in real time

So the service should be always on. But I run the actual search program (X1.exe) only as needed.
The sudden halt to the system happens when I run X1.exe. Everything suddenly is as slow as molasses for about 3-4 minutes. Task switching is especially painful. Then all is well again, even though X1.exe is still running.

- Bruce Fraser
Bruce Fraser
bgfraser

OpenOffice file types not included by default

Postby bgfraser » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:25 am

I'm surprised -- astonished, really -- that after all these years that OpenOffice has been available, its file formats are still not included in X1's default list of files it indexes.
Yes, I know users can manually add any file format they want. But something as major as OpenOffice should be part of the default setup.

- Bruce Fraser
Bruce Fraser
bgfraser

Postby Kenward » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:56 pm

That's odd. Resource hogging used to drive me mad. But I have seen no sign of it in 6.6.

I wonder why?
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Re: OpenOffice file types not included by default

Postby Kenward » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:01 pm

bgfraser wrote:I'm surprised -- astonished, really -- that after all these years that OpenOffice has been available, its file formats are still not included in X1's default list of files it indexes.
Yes, I know users can manually add any file format they want. But something as major as OpenOffice should be part of the default setup.

- Bruce Fraser

Are you sure?

I just went to look. Open Office is set to index here.

I certainly have not added it as I have yet to encounter a file in these formats.

Something told X1 to index these files. It sure wasn't me.

I did, though, have to add WordPerfect (wpd) files. That's probably a more common format for folks with old archives to index.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Re: OpenOffice file types not included by default

Postby bgfraser » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:45 pm

Re: "Are you sure?"

No, I'm not totally, absolutely 100% sure.
I did go through the dialog box where users can add to the list of file types. I didn't see "OpenOffice" under the Os, the logical place to look for it.

But no, I didn't look at every single one of the 400 or so items on that list. So it may be hiding in some obscure location.
Bruce Fraser
bgfraser

Postby Kenward » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:28 am

No obscure folder. Just go to "Specify file types". Scroll down. It is alphabetical and there is an expandable "Open Office" entry just where it should be, between Office Writer, whatever that may be, and OS/2 Metafile. That's all the "O" entries.

Expand "Open Office" and you get four options. all of them checked by default.

The list is replete with stuff I have never heard of, much of it checked for indexing.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby tjh » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:39 am

I think this is only in 6.6

I know I had a case open with X1 about problems with indexing OpenOffice documents (I had to add them manually and I was getting errors about files being missing)

Greg's reply was that X1 were going to be added proper (i.e. native) Open Office support very soon, so I guess that must be 6.6.

I'm still on 6.2.4 and I'm fairly sure it's not an option (though I can't check at the moment)

Tim
TiM
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:14 am

Good point, but since this section is all about version 6.6 I sort of jumped to the conclusion that this is what the complaint was about.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to X1 Professional Client 6.6