Licence Question

X1 ® Professional Client Version 6.6

Moderator: Mods

Licence Question

Postby tjh » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:32 am

With the new 6.6 Beta, it seems that X1 is doing license checking. That's fine and dandy, no problem with that. However, it seems that some people aren't then allowed to install X1. I thought the license was perpetual?

I'm just after clarification of what "<a href="http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+perpetual&meta=">perpetual</a>" means, in the X1 license purchase sense of the word. Does it mean:

1) You can use any version you're entitled to download within your year of support, forever?

Or

2) You can use any version, past or future, albeit with no support once your year runs out.

I was always under the impression that it was number 2, however it seems with some people not being allowed to install 6.6 beta, that it's actually number 1.

Could someone from X1 clarify please?

Cheers,
Tim
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby tjh » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:58 am

Having just read Greg's reply in the 6.6 announce thread, this topic can be closed/deleted.

Cheers,
Tim
TiM
X1 Search v8.5.1 - 6001se (64 Bit)
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Greg Dawes » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:23 am

Hi Tim,

Here is some clarification with respects to purchasing X1 in terms of licensing and support/maintenance:

- Sales of X1 include one (1) year of support

- Sales of X1 include one (1) year of product upgrades (i.e. maintenance)

- Sales of X1 do not include "free updates for life" -- this is a misconception because up until now, X1 has not restricted users ability to upgrade X1 (i.e. download and register the most recent version of X1)

- Sales of X1 include perpetual use of the product; however, that doesn't necessarily mean that you have access to install and use the most recent build of X1. Therefore, we may release a newer build, but if you are not within your current support period, you may not have access to the upgrade. However, you do have perpetual use of a version of X1 (it just may not be the most current build).

With respects to this:
tjh wrote:...it seems with some people not being allowed to install 6.6 beta...

I don't think that these folks are reporting that they are unable to install the 6.6 beta, but rather:

- their existing registration code is no longer accepted and will not unlock this version and

- the 6.6 beta will install as a 30-day trial

I hope this helps.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby tjh » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:33 pm

Thanks Greg.
Looks like getting another 12 months of support wasn't a bad idea.
Though maybe for you guys, as I submit more bug reports :P
TiM
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:34 pm

Bugs? Does X1 have any of these?
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby TomB » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:19 am

Greg Dawes wrote:Hi Tim,
Here is some clarification with respects to purchasing X1 in terms of licensing and support/maintenance:
    - Sales of X1 include one (1) year of support
    - Sales of X1 include one (1) year of product upgrades (i.e. maintenance)
    - Sales of X1 do not include "free updates for life" -- this is a misconception because up until now, X1 has not restricted users ability to upgrade X1 (i.e. download and register the most recent version of X1)
    - Sales of X1 include perpetual use of the product; however, that doesn't necessarily mean that you have access to install and use the most recent build of X1. Therefore, we may release a newer build, but if you are not within your current support period, you may not have access to the upgrade. However, you do have perpetual use of a version of X1 (it just may not be the most current build).
With respects to this:
tjh wrote:...it seems with some people not being allowed to install 6.6 beta...

I don't think that these folks are reporting that they are unable to install the 6.6 beta, but rather:
- their existing registration code is no longer accepted and will not unlock this version and
- the 6.6 beta will install as a 30-day trial
I hope this helps.

How do I buy a new registration code?
(I originally purchased X1 for $75.-- a few years back.)

The X1 Support Center displays: "Purchase License to Submit New Cases".

When clicking on this link it displays: "Have you purchased an X1 product and are looking to upgrade? Log into your Support Portal account and click on the Upgrade link."

Where is this Upgrade link?

How much is the Upgrade?
($50.--, same as a new license???)

Soooo confusing ...
TomB

Postby tjh » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:04 am

Just buy a new license. If it's the same email address you use, it "adds" it to your existing account.

Either that, or email sales and say you're a repeat customer and could you please have a discount :) (That's what I'd do)
TiM
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

X1 was sold with free lifetime upgrades

Postby jsuares » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:09 am

The information above is not correct.

Of course you can use the version you already have without support or upgrades and there is no need to mention it.

However, as far as I cna remember, X1 was sold specifically with free lifetime upgrades. Now it seems like the copany is trying to wiggle out of their obligations.
jsuares

Re: X1 was sold with free lifetime upgrades

Postby Kenward » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:18 am

jsuares wrote:as far as I cna remember

The lawyers would love that.

Do you have the original message anywhere that can confirm this? It should be easy enough to find with X1.

I have the original receipt, for $99 paid on "05/03/04". (I don't know if this was 5 March or 3 May, probably the latter.) No sign of "perpetual updates".
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Re: X1 was sold with free lifetime upgrades

Postby Greg Dawes » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:00 am

jsuares wrote:The information above is not correct.

However, as far as I cna remember, X1 was sold specifically with free lifetime upgrades. Now it seems like the copany is trying to wiggle out of their obligations.
Hi jsuares,

Sorry to contradict, but the information presented above is correct and has not changed -- it just wasn't enforced...until the release of v6.2.4.

All End User License Agreements (EULA's) released with every version of X1 do not include "perpetual updates". In fact, here is the excerpt from the EULA that indicates that users must have a current support/maintenance agreement to receive product upgrades/updates:

"You are not entitled to any updates, enhancements, upgrades or modifications to the Software or any support or maintenance services unless you have entered into an an agreement for such software and/or services and are in good standing under such agreement, in which case you may be entitled to receive the software and services set forth therein."

jsuares wrote:Of course you can use the version you already have without support or upgrades and there is no need to mention it.
It's mentioned because not all software licenses are perpetual in nature such as subscription-based software (i.e. anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, CRM, etc.). In fact, the X1 Enterprise Server product is typically not sold on a perpetual basis, but is sold on a subscription basis (i.e. non-perpetual).

You can review this MS link for additional information regarding perpetual vs. subscription software:

- http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/b ... which.mspx

Thanks.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Return to X1 Professional Client 6.6