X1 ® Professional Client Version 6.6

Moderator: Mods

Postby Chris Wheaton » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:00 pm

(Build 3764)

NOTE: Installing this build requires that .NET 3.0 or higher be installed on your computer. Here is the link to the latest .NET 3.5 SP1: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

You can download the X1 Professional Client 6.6 by using this link: (please see new post for updated link, http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?p=13194#13194)

**Important Considerations**
- KNOWN DOWNGRADE ISSUE: Downgrading from 6.6 to 6.2.x (or lower) while saving settings will cause issues in the X1 index that prevent the application from launching. If you plan to downgrade from 6.6, uninstall the X1 client WITHOUT saving settings.
- Remember that we always advise that you uninstall any currently installed version of X1, without saving your settings/preferences, before installing any beta build
- Please restrict all comments regarding this release to this section of the forum
- Any user upgrading from 5.5.5 or previous will be required to rebuild their index files.

Release Notes

New Features (available on the X1 eDiscovery Client)
The X1 eDiscovery Client is a new version of the X1 Professional Client designed for the electronic legal services market. If you are interested in a trial of the X1 eDiscovery Client contact sales at sales@x1.com.

Tagging
- Added feature that allows users to define a list of tags.
- Tags are limited to the letters a-z, A-Z and digits 0-9 with no spaces.
- Added feature that allows administrator to define a list of tags via a group policy object.
- Added feature that allows administrator to lock down the list of tags via a group policy object.
- Added "Tag" post search action that allows user to tag a search result in the X1 Client index.
- Added tag dialog which allows users to add/remove tags to single/multiple items in the X1 Client index.
- Added support to tag items in the X1 Server index.
- Added the "Document Tags" column which displays Tags added to items.
Annotation
- Added feature that allows users to annotate (add a note) to a search result(s) in the X1 Client index.
- Annotations can be up to 4096 characters in length.
- The "Annotate" post search action supports a single annotation per item in the X1 index.
- The "Annotate" post search action does not support adding notes to X1 Server index items.
- Added the "Annotation" column which displays notes added to items.
Search Session Logs
- Added feature that allows user to create a search log for a defined search session.
- The search session starts when the user clicks on the "Start Session" button in the main search bar.
- The user must define a session or select an existing session to log searches against.
- Search session logs are stored in the X1 Search Sessions folder under the X1 data directory.
- The search session ends when the user clicks on the "Stop Session" button in the main search bar.
Use of Tagging and Annotations in X1 Client local index
- Tags and Annotations for the desktop client index are designed for static content email and file repositories.
- Email and files updated, edited, moved or deleted between incremental indexing will lose tags and annotations.
- Given some email clients and backup programs update email/files automatically it is advised that incremental scanning is turned off to preserve tags/annotations.
- To export tags and annotations, display the "Document Tags" and "Annotation" column. Filter by non-empty columns ("-") and export results to Excel or CSV.
- For the processing of large document collections and de-duplication features, X1 recommends the implementation of the X1 Server.

Enhancements
• Removed Yahoo Toolbar from installer.
• Modified installer to warn users of expired maintenance on registration key.
• Improved Forward PSA for Symantec Enterprise Vault Offline email such that it now includes attachments.
• Added Indexing Option that allows users to set the maximum amount of text extracted per item.
• Added Group Policy Object that enables central management for the maximum amount of text extracted per item indexing option.
• Added "Schedule Meeting" post-search-action for emails in the results list.
• Added "Send Email" right click action when users click on emails in the preview pane header area.
• Added "Schedule Time" right click action when users click on emails in the preview pane header area.
• Added "Add to Contacts" right click action when users click on emails in the preview pane header area.
• Added "Send Email" right click action when users click on potential contact matches in the email body area.
• Added "Schedule Time" right click action when users click on potential contact matches in the preview pane header area.
• Added "Add to Contacts" right click action when users click on potential contact matches in the preview pane header area.

Bug Fixes
• Fixed a bug that caused Microsoft Outlook email profiles to become selected for indexing.
• Fixed a bug that caused Microsoft Outlook email profiles created through X1 not be removed on uninstall.
• Fixed a bug that prevented Ctrl-C (copy) from working on selections in the preview pane.
• Fixed a bug that caused X1 to crash at startup in CJK environments.
• Fixed a bug that caused X1 to crash at startup under Vista with UAC enabled.

X1 Supported Platforms Guide
X1 Technologies goes out of its way to explicitly test our products with a number of third-party products. Our goal is to test and validate that our products work with those products our customers and partners use most frequently. Just because a particular version of the third-party software is not listed on the supported platforms guide does not mean that the product will not work with X1, just that we do not explicitly test that version of the application.

X1 Server/Client Compatibility Guide
X1 Server v2.0 supports X1 Professional Client versions 2.x
X1 Server v2.5.x supports X1 Professional Client versions 5.x & 6.x

Symantec Vault Supported Platform
Symantec Enterprise Vault v6, v7, v2007 for Microsoft Exchange
Microsoft Outlook 2003
Professional Client v5.6 or greater

System Requirements – Desktop Client
256 MB RAM required / 512 MB RAM recommended
1 GB free hard disk recommended
Note: Actual memory and space used depends on number of files and email messages indexed.

Operating System
Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2 & SP3
Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2 & SP3
Microsoft Windows Vista & SP1
Microsoft .NET 3.0 and above required.
Email Clients
Lotus Notes & Domino 6.5.x to 8.0.x
Microsoft Outlook XP, 2003 and 2007 & 2007 SP1
Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0
Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5, 2.0

Unsupported Products/Known Issues:
• Plaxo – Versions of the Plaxo Toolbar for Outlook earlier than 2.0 may cause instability in Outlook when used with X1. http://www.plaxo.com/
• IMAP Email Servers – X1 does not support indexing of email messages when using IMAP mailboxes. X1 recommends always storing copies of email messages in a local PST file.
• Microsoft Outlook with MSN Hotmail – X1 does not support indexing of MSN Hotmail email messages synchronized with Microsoft Outlook. http://www.hotmail.com/
• iPodSync – Searching Microsoft Outlook contacts is broken when using iPodSync. http://www.ipod-sync.com/
• Outlook Express – When using X1 to open, forward, or reply to Outlook Express email messages with attachments, the new email message will not contain the attachments.
• Access – Unable to preview Access Database Formats beyond Version 2.0 or indexing any Access Database formats.
• The "Columns" dialog in the "Tools" menu currently controls options for only the first row of column headers.
• Indexing of removable media is not supported.
• Preview of PDF documents with the hidden text property turned on does not preview results.
• X1 does not automatically detect Outlook mail profile default changes while running. X1 needs to be restarted to establish a connection to the new Outlook email profile.
• X1 does not fully support multi-monitor environments.
• X1 must be closed when Symantec Offline Vault is updated.
• Deployment Manager builds DO NOT support push-to-client searches created in the X1 Enterprise Server.
• "Forward" post search action does not work properly for Lotus Notes email multi-selection that contains attachments.
• Performing a "Copy to Folder" PSA on items in a folder with an auto-forward rule causes the rule to be applied again on the items selected.
• X1 Installer will not start X1 after install in Vista to prevent conflicts with Outlook.
• Files RTI is not compatible with Microsoft Vista junction points.
• 64-bit operating systems are not currently supported.
• X1 will ignore registry parameters passed from Windows Vista searches for variables such as My Computer, Recycling Bin, Network Locations, Desktop.
• The F3 command in Windows Vista does not send a query to the default search engine if the cursor is placed in the Windows Explorer search box.
• X1 will not index Lotus Notes email that only appear in the "All Documents" view.
•The "Add to Zip" post search action executes only on items with titles/columns with latin-1 UTF charaters.
• X1 Client upgrades with deskbar enabled in Windows Vista will prompt a Windows Explorer re-start.
• Outlook Real-time indexing applies only to the following folders: Inbox, Deleted Items, and Sent Items.
• Norton 360 on-access firewall and Symantec Endpoint Protection may cause X1 startup problems which result in "Remote Procedure Call Failed".
• X1 does not support double byte characters in the installation or data directory paths.
•X1 does not support double byte characters for the Mozilla Thunderbird and Outlook Express mail clients.
• X1 does not support double byte characters for Lotus Notes passwords.
• X1 only supports PST paths and MAPI profiles that contain characters that map to the locale regional settings.
• A change in locale regional settings requires the user to rename profile names/PST file paths and re-build the X1 index.
• X1 does not support drag & drop of an email with CJK characters in the subject to Outlook 2003.
• X1 search highlighting for files has been turned off for queries that contain CJK characters.
• Multi-row saved searches are no longer supported starting in version 6.5 and above.

Upgrade Considerations:
The following settings will not be preserved upon an upgrade to the 6.0 Professional client:
• Changes to the actions toolbar.
• The "Load X1 at Startup" setting.

Windows Vista User Access Control (UAC) Considerations:
• The following actions require administrator authentication:
- The ability to install X1.
- Registering the product for all users.
- Setting shortcut settings for all users.
-Adding/removing plugins.
• For these actions, an authentication dialog will prompt for a username and password with administrator privileges.

To disable Windows Search on Vista follow these steps:
1. Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.
2. Find the "Windows Search" service.
3. Right-click on the "Windows Search" service and select Properties from the menu.
4. On the Properties > General tab, click the "Stop" button to halt the service, and select "Disabled" from the Startup type pulldown.
5. Click OK to apply the new settings and close the Properties dialog.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Kenward » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:53 am

Installed OK, albeit it stomping all over my toolbars, as usual. (I suppose it is too much to expect X1 to remember and reinstate the configuration of my toolbars.)

X1 still does not minimise to the Notification area on start up.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby goggin » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:13 pm

I'm running Windows 7 beta and at first blush v6.6 works better with it than v6.2.4 - but that's only a few minutes of testing. Out of respect to X1, let me point out that there's no claim or responsibility on their part for X1 to work at all with this OS.

Still....with v6.2.4, the option to set the aggressiveness for indexing (that place where you can designate no delay or delays of 15, 30, etc., minutes if the computer is in use) was all grayed out. IOW, this feature was not working under Win 7 beta.

Now with v6.6 this feature set is now available again (not grayed out) and I can set indexing aggressiveness to whatever I want now.

I know X1 isn't slated to work on Win 7 beta, but still, it's nice to see the future for X1 is lookin' good!
goggin
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby tjh » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:01 pm

Interesting that the only reference to 6.6 is here in the forums!
TiM
X1 Search v8.5.1 - 6001se (64 Bit)
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby bk3 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:50 am

Installed 6.6 and it seems somewhat more responsive that the beta. After installation though, it did not find all the emails, that the beta found prior to installation. It didi actually do some indexing right after installation and reported 100% after that. I wish there was a good way in whihc one could see which files or mails had been indexed, which were on the "list" etc., so one could get a grip of when this process runs astray. I guess I have to reidex my emails - again - sigh!
bk3

Postby AP-123 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:16 am

tjh wrote:Interesting that the only reference to 6.6 is here in the forums!

Couple of questions:
Is this a beta release?
Will I need to purchase a new license?

My last license says "perpetual"

Thanks,
AP
AP-123

Postby tjh » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:36 am

AP-123 wrote:
tjh wrote:Interesting that the only reference to 6.6 is here in the forums!

Couple of questions:
Is this a beta release?
Will I need to purchase a new license?

My last license says "perpetual"

Thanks,
AP

Not a beta, no, but mostly for the new eDiscovery features not in the regular versions. I suspect the dot net requirement is also the reason its not being pushed as the latest and greatest on the x1 homepage.

I have no actual idea though, just guessing!

If you don't have a recent (16) digit reg code, you won't be able to install this version fully, just in 30 day trial mode. The same is true for 6.2.4, see other discussions on this topic in the forums here.

Cheers,

Tim
TiM
X1 Search v8.5.1 - 6001se (64 Bit)
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby AP-123 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:24 am

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Just paid for new license.

Go X1 - an indispensablae program for me!!
AP-123

Postby Kenward » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:23 pm

AP-123 wrote:My last license says "perpetual"

To clarify, this means that you have a perpetual licence to use the version you bought. It isn't a guarantee that you get free upgrades in perpetuity.

But you have worked that out already.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Am I overlooking the download link for 6.6?

Postby tltabor » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:13 pm

It seems to have gone away. I need it for the evault functionality.

Thank you.
tltabor

Re: Am I overlooking the download link for 6.6?

Postby Kenward » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:29 am

tltabor wrote:It seems to have gone away. I need it for the evault functionality.

Thank you.

Try this message

Where you will read:

You can download the X1 Professional Client Blackbird Release Candidate II by using this link: http://www.x1.com/cs/x1_pro_client_dotNet_3914.exe
Note: The RC III will function until October 31, 2009 at which time we will post a new build or the product will be released as GA. On launch of X1, you will automatically be notified when a new version has been released.

Note that this beta expires on 31 October.

If you are evaluating X1, then you might do better to use the current production version.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Clarification

Postby tltabor » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:31 pm

Sorry, I guess I was unclear. I read in this thread that 6.6 is "not a beta, no". I've used it at the office, and repaved my machine, so I would like to reinstall it. It appears that the non-beta 6.6 has gone away in favor of the blackbird beta?

I see from X1 that I filed my first bug report on 9/28/2003, first purchased the product on 10/1/2003, joined the forum on 12/5/2003, and joined the beta program on 12/17/2003. I have indexed as much as 1.2 mil objects on a single workstation, but am trying a more manageable number now.

Very nice product, very nice people.

Thank you.

Tim
tltabor

Postby Kenward » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:58 am

You probably knew this anyway, but X1 changed the licence rules not long ago when it also implemented longer licence keys.

If you don't want to pay $50 for the latest versions, then you should retrieve an earlier versions of X1.

To do that you need to log intothe support area. There you can lay your hands on previous setup files.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Still Looking

Postby tltabor » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:55 pm

I'm still looking for a link to the "non-beta" version 6.6. It has functionality I need and I don't want to go beta blackbird. Help please.

Thank you.

Tim Tabor
tltabor

Postby Kenward » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:44 am

You originally said that you wanted to "evault functionalty". Then you said you had an old licence. Now you ask for "a link to the "non-beta" version 6.6".

There is no non-beta version 6.6. The current commercial release is the 6.2.4 Client.

If you want to get that you have two options.

If you have a current licence, then, as I explained in my previous message, log in and download the thing from the support area.

Or download the trial version and enter your licence key.

If you do not have a licence then download the trial version and be prepared for it to expire.

This is the official word:

Beginning with the release of version 6.2.4, X1 will only accept registration codes that are 16 characters in length. If you have an older 13 character registration code you will not be able to unlock v6.2.4 or later releases. Continuing to install the product without a valid 16 digit code will cause X1 to install as a 14 day trial.

In your case, you probably do not have an up to date licence, so you have to decide whether to buy a new one, or you have to log into the support area to retrieve the latest version that works with your licence key. The archive goes back to the 5.6.4 Client.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Re:

Postby keithc » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:41 am

Kenward wrote:
AP-123 wrote:My last license says "perpetual"

To clarify, this means that you have a perpetual licence to use the version you bought. It isn't a guarantee that you get free upgrades in perpetuity.

But you have worked that out already.

So if you buy the one year support it's a good idea to get the latest version just before your support runs out, as X1 seems totally unable to check for a new version at startup even if you do check the box. It may just be that it is trying to check before my network is fully operational, but as a user I should not need to worry about that.
keithc

Re: Re:

Postby Kenward » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:02 am

keithc wrote:So if you buy the one year support it's a good idea to get the latest version just before your support runs out

This is generally a good strategy.

keithc wrote:X1 seems totally unable to check for a new version at startup even if you do check the box.

The update checker has been pretty well useless until recently. The new run of beta tests has mended problems on that front.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to X1 Professional Client 6.6