Outlook indexing problem after installation

X1 ® Professional Client Version 6.6

Moderator: Mods

Outlook indexing problem after installation

Postby bk3 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:27 am

I installed 6.6 after having had 6.5 beta. That went well. Now it appears that X1 has problems getting "up-to-date". Prior to installation, the email index was 100% indexed and all mails were found. Then I installed 6.6 and shortly after that it reported 100% indexed, but now many of the newer files were not found.

I tried reindexing. that apparently did not help for many of my mails. In particular, I was looking for mails in the directory "Lønn og oppgjør". So, I pressed the indexing button for Outlook to reindex everything. This went on for quite some time. During this process, I used a VPN connection off and on, so Outlook, connecting via https, went shortly off and on twice. A little before 6 pm I had to hibernate my laptop and go home.

At home I connected back on and continued the indexing. After being 99,08% done I checked and the new files were still not found. Then I went to check the emailscan.log file in the search directory. Here I find the following the pattern below for many folders from shortly before I went home:

4/21/2009 5:44:34:484 PM (3708) - TMAPIFolderItem.Create: Opening folder: Lønn og oppgjør
4/21/2009 5:44:34:484 PM (3708) - Create/OpenEntry ERRORCODE: MAPI_E_NETWORK_ERROR
4/21/2009 5:44:34:500 PM (3708) - TIncrementalOutlook.GetFirst: nil items or folder
4/21/2009 5:44:34:500 PM (3708) - Folder "Lønn og oppgjør" had no new items

LAter in the log we find (form the time I was reconnected back home):

4/21/2009 6:14:42:437 PM (3708) - AddSubFoldersStep: adding folder: \Administrasjon\Lønn og oppgjør and

4/21/2009 6:15:04:062 PM (3708) - AddSubFolders: Opening entry: Lønn og oppgjør
4/21/2009 6:15:04:140 PM (3708) - Folder contains 8 items.

However, when I search for emails in a folder using "lønn" as search term, only 6 items are found. The new ones are not.

Can somebody enlighten me as to what is going on? Why is X1 not noticing the discrepency? Earlier, when I have gotten up in a similar situation, a receipe for deleting the index and doing indexing once more has been the only answer. But I am kind of tired of having to reindex since I have a rather large set of mails - only placed on the exchange server. thus ut takes some hours to reindex.

A better understanding could help me circumvent patterns that will break the index. Hopefully, it would also be possible to get a fix for the problem.

In the meanwhile, is there a way in which I can ask X1 to reindex only some of the folders (in particular the ones that are associated with errors as in the first message shown above)?
bk3

Postby Kenward » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:33 pm

The scenario you describe confuses me. It may also confuse X1.

Could it be that hibernation is throwing X1 into a tizzy?

"Network error" may be the clue.

Is this networked, local, Exchange, whatever?
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby bk3 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:57 am

Yes, I realize that it may have been a little unclear. I will try again.

The events are as follows:
a: 6.5 beta has updated my mail index. Everything is found fine.
b: I install 6.6
c: X1 (relatively) quickly makes the index up to date reporting 100%
d: My two mails have disappeared from the index (plus many others also, but let us focus on the "Lønn.." folder
e: I press the "Index Outlook now" button
f: After a while I connect via VPN
g: I temporarily looses the connection with the Exchange server - thus with my folders. But they become online after a littel while.
h: I stop using VPN
i: I temporarily looses the connection with the Exchange server - thus with my folders. But they become online after a littel while.
j: I hibernate the machine
k: Back home I reconnect and X1 continues the indexing
l: X1 reports indexing 100% complete

My setup is outlook 2007 accessing Exchange via a https connection - on a LAN. The folders are not stored or cached on my laqtop. Only available on the exchange server.

So, there are two issues here. The first is the fact that right after having installed the 6.6 version, X1 reindexes my "Lønn ..." folder and "looses" 2 of the newest mails, that indeed were in the 6.5 beta index prior to installation.

The second issue is that after pressing the "Index Outlook Now" button, X1 apparently does get into networlk trouble somewhere along the path - maybe because Outlook lost (briefly) the connection to the server when I started and ended using VPN.

Finally, there is the situation, that I hobernated the computer before the reindexing had completed - went home - reconnected outlook (via https). Now, X1 does find that there are 8 mails in the folder.

So:

1: Why ws the two mails lost in the immediate reindexing right after installation?

2: Why does X1 not put back my folder as "unindexed" when it get into networking trouble

3: Why does X1 not find the descrepency between its observation of there being 8 mails in the folder but only 6 in the index - when I am back home

4: How can I ask X1 to reindex only the forlders that it had trouble with - and not all my folders - not to speak about my entire disk setup ystem - several hundreds of GBs.
bk3

Return to X1 Professional Client 6.6