Unable to find numbers in Excel

X1® Professional Client Version - 6.6.5 Blackbird (successor to the X1® Professional Client Version 6.6)

Moderator: Mods

Unable to find numbers in Excel

Postby AndySprogis » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:19 am

I recently downloaded and installed 6.6.5 (Build 3926) to evaluate it. The main reason for downloading this version was to support external USB drives. Everything appears to work really well except that when I do a search for numbers I do not get any results for Excel 2003 .xls files.
I checked the FAQs and confirmed I have offfilt.dll in C:\Windows\System32 (Version 2006.0.5730.0). To test this I created a number of small .xls files each containing specific numerical data in a cell (the number 567890) which I formatted as general in one file, as a number in another, as text in another, etc. Checked that the files were indexed and ran a search for "567890". Nothing resulted. I then added the word "Turnip" to another cell in each of the files and ran a search on "Turnip" with gave the correct results. I then added "Parsnip 567890" to another cell and this time a search for "567890" gave a positive result.

Is this an undocumented feature?
AndySprogis

Re: Unable to find numbers in Excel

Postby tjh » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Hi Andy,

You should really download the latest Raptor RC2 and see if that helps you.

cheers,
Tim
TiM
X1 Search v8.5.1 - 6001se (64 Bit)
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby AndySprogis » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:35 am

Hmmmm..
Upgraded this morning to Raptor RC2 (build 3995) and the same thing is happening. If I search for a number, even with the syntax content:65432 I don't get any results from Excel. The index status on the .xls files says Stellent OK.
I was asked by my company to look at MS WS 4.0 as well and although that product has many, many issues which make it unsuitable, it does find numbers!
Can anyone help??
AndySprogis

Postby jeffreycowart » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:15 pm

Not that it helps, but I can confirm the same problem. However, it is not 100% consistent. It will find some number in Excel, but not all. (which makes me wonder, what else it misses). I also have the offfilt.dll file in System 32. (version 2006.0.6002.18005)

X1Build 3995
jeffreycowart

Postby AndySprogis » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:11 pm

Great news!
Thanks to leonowski the problem seems to have been solved. :D

If you put xls into the "specify file types/Additionally index all files with these extensions" box it apparently forces X1 to use offfilt.dll rather than the stellent filter. And it works! I cleared the index files and re-indexed and now I can find numbers in the .xls files with the cells formatted as

General
Text
Percent
Number
Custom
Currency

Only thing it doesn't do is highlight the search term in the spreadsheet in the preview pane but I can live with that.
Looking at the Indexing status for all my indexed files, if content is indexed it says "Stellent OK" apart from .xls files where it says "IFilter OK".

This is using X1 version 6.6.5 (build 3926) and Offilt.dll version 2006.0.5732.0. MS Office 2003 SP2, Windows XP Pro SP3
AndySprogis

Postby alafortanfuni » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:14 pm

Hi,
I have the same problem described as above. X1 does not index numbers in my excel files.
I have downloaded the ifilter package from microsoft's website, placed xls and xlsx to the "additionally index all files with these extensions" box at the files types option, restarted my computer, reindexed the x1, but still it does not index all the information in my excel files.
The only missing thing in my pc when compared to the above discussion is my offfilt.dll file in system 32 folder shows the version as 2006.0.5732.0
If the newer version written above would solve my problem, could someone please advise where I can download this file?
Thanks in advance.

I am using,
XP pro with service pack 3.
Microsoft Office 2007
X1 ® Professional Client Version 6.7.2
(Build 4054by) (Created: Mon Sep 13 17:50:40 PDT 2010)
alafortanfuni

Postby Jim Lievens » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:14 am

We are relatively new users of X1, and are using it exclusively for the purpose of an internal audit project where we index numerous Outlook PST files. Until X1, we actually just used Windows Desktop Search with very good results - and until we have a complete comfort level with X1, we still have one workstation still using WDS. One of our immediate concerns is that X1 doesn't consistently find numbers in Excel files, so I did a forum search and found this thread. I will certainly try some of the fixes that were mentioned in the thread, but have to wonder if this is still a known issue or problem with the latest version of X1 (6.7.4). If so, are there fixes that apply to that version instead of what's mentioned in this thread?
Jim Lievens

Return to X1 Professional Client - 6.6.5 (Blackbird)