Installation experience

X1® Professional Client Version - 6.6.5 Blackbird (successor to the X1® Professional Client Version 6.6)

Moderator: Mods

Installation experience

Postby Kenward » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:38 am

It may be my PC, I am steeling, myself to reinstall Vista to solve a sound problem, but installing the latest beta does not seem to create the required shortcuts in the Startup folder.

I tried to get X1 to do this after the event, but toggling and applying the "Load X1 at startup" does not correct the problem either.

By the way, does X1 do anything with its "Check for new version startup"? It has been there for years but has never, to my memory, ever found anything. And I don't count beta versions here.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Re: Installation experience

Postby tjh » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:07 am

Kenward wrote:By the way, does X1 do anything with its "Check for new version startup"? It has been there for years but has never, to my memory, ever found anything. And I don't count beta versions here.

When I first purchased X1, while playing around I rang it with my network sniffer going. I noticed that X1 made a webrequest of X1, sending along with it in clear text my license key.

I think I logged a bug/feature request on this, as your license key shouldn't be getting shunted around in plain text for anyone with a network sniffer to read, IMHO.

But no, I've never seen X1 popup and go "Hey! New Version!"
TiM
X1 Search v8.5.1 - 6001se (64 Bit)
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:46 am

Update on the startup thing, it maybe because Windows had turned on UAC. (It seems to do this after it updates itself.)

When trying to create the required shortcuts in "Startup" UAC asked for permission. That was when I knew it was back on again.

Can x1's install handle UAC?
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to X1 Professional Client - 6.6.5 (Blackbird)