Page 1 of 1

The profile name is not valid -- PLEASE HELP.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:17 pm
by madcitylunartic
I use X1 Professional Client Version Blackbird Beta
(Build 3840)

I have an active "default" profile in Outlook 2007 where I have 6 PST files. These are behaving fine.

I have another 25 PST files I keep on an internal hard drive. These vary in size from 250M to 1.5G. All the latter PSTs I've added through the "Options" menu and are indexing fine, and showing up in the search window.

HOWEVER, when I click on ANY of the non-default PST emails, an error pops up saying "The profile name is not valid. Enter a valid profile name." For each of these, I need to click OK then scroll down and find the PST. When I reboot, I have to do this everytime anew. PLEASE HELP?

Curiously... in X1, I added the Column heading "Profile/PST", and the name the error says is invalid is the correct one listed that X1 has already indexed. But I seem to need to tell it over and over again.

FYI... I am using XP Professional SP3 and Outlook 2007 SP2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:54 am
by Kenward
I don't know what causes the problem you see, but I have a way around that might work.

Like you, I have a bunch of "inactive" PSTs. My solution is to create a Mail Profile without any email accounts and to "attach" those archive PST to that Profile.

x1 then automatically picks up these PST files through the Mail Profile.

I should add that I have fewer, but bigger, PST files. The thought of keeping track of that many files, even with the help of x1, fills me with dread.

I have about half a dozen PST files up to about 5GB.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:00 am
by madcitylunartic
I think I fixed it by reading a few other posts and the release notes, then making an educated guess.

The release notes said that a known bug is that 6.6 doesn't delete profiles when deinstalled. I had recently upgraded from 6.6 to Blackbird. So I went to Mail-Profiles, and sure enough, there were all the profiles. So I deleted them all, cleared my index and reindexed. So far so good... I didn't want any additional active profiles...

I should also mention I upgraded to .Net 3.5 from 3.0. Not sure if it helped, but did it anyway...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:20 pm
by Kenward
Those "fake" profiles seem to be something that X1 likes to create for its own purposes.

I don't see them because my approach relies on genuine profiles.

I have no idea if either of these approaches has any particular benefits. I just went down my road because someone mentioned it here many years ago and it works just fine for me.