64 bit issues

X1® Professional Client Version - 6.6.5 Blackbird (successor to the X1® Professional Client Version 6.6)

Moderator: Mods

64 bit issues

Postby jgolden@scottgroup.com » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:36 am

Not sure if you officially support x64 yet... but I was able to get it installed without any problems.

Two things I have noticed since install. The first is that there is not a bar (in the start bar). The second is when the computer boots up. The software will start and then go to minimized (but not down to the system tray just the start menu). When I go to close the software (restore, then click the red x) it will minimize it back down to the start bar. After the 2nd or 3rd try it will actually close that window, leaving just the system tray icon.

Thanks. :D
jgolden@scottgroup.com

Postby Kenward » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:15 pm

The second one is a known issue. And a nuisance. It has been there for ever. Lots of reports. But no fix.

But it does usually behave properly after just one click.

On the first one, have you tried to show the X1 deskbar manually?

That will tell you if it installed and it just hiding.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby AP-123 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:54 am

When Windows 7 is released I suspect 64 bit installs will become more common. This will be my first attempt at a 64 bit install.

Is a 64 bit version of X1 in the works? I haven't found any indication of such on these forums, only that it is possible with the SDK dev kit install.

I'll be testing the 64 bit version of Windows 7 RTM in the next couple of weeks. Should I anticipate this being a sans X1 machine? If so, I'll give the famed Windows Search a go. Since I've been a loyal X1 fan for so long, I don't think I ever gave it a fair shake.

TIA
AP-123

Postby Kenward » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:39 am

There have already been reports of X1 installing successfully on 64-bit machines.

While you are probably correct in thinking that Windows 7 will increase the pace of 64-bit installation, this may not be true in the corporate world that seems to be at the heart of X1's market. After all, a lot of this is stuck on XP.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Re: 64 bit issues

Postby Greg Dawes » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:19 pm

jgolden@scottgroup.com wrote:Not sure if you officially support x64 yet... but I was able to get it installed without any problems.

Two things I have noticed since install. The first is that there is not a bar (in the start bar). The second is when the computer boots up. The software will start and then go to minimized (but not down to the system tray just the start menu). When I go to close the software (restore, then click the red x) it will minimize it back down to the start bar. After the 2nd or 3rd try it will actually close that window, leaving just the system tray icon.

Thanks. :D
Hi jgolden,

While, officially, we don't currently support the 64-bit version of Windows Vista, we do have a number of users who have installed and are running X1 in this environment -- X1 will install in 32-bit emulation mode.

Both of the problems that you've discovered, and described above, are known issues. The first issue, however, is specific to 64-bit installations.

Thank you for the feedback!
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby gtneill » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:13 am

Kenward wrote:There have already been reports of X1 installing successfully on 64-bit machines.

While you are probably correct in thinking that Windows 7 will increase the pace of 64-bit installation, this may not be true in the corporate world that seems to be at the heart of X1's market. After all, a lot of this is stuck on XP.

I think you're going to be surprised at how fast many enterprises make this change (relative to past OS upgrades).

I've been running Win7 64-bit RTM (via MS Volume Licensing) for the past 2 weeks and will move my IT department to Win 7 before the end of the year with a 1st half of 2010 rollout to the rest of the company (500 XP PCs). Windows 7 is by far the best OS MS has shipped and handles my docking/undocking and network hopping between work and home seemlessly and effortlessly. It is dramatically faster than XP and Vista and I'm finding surprisingly few application conflicts.

George
gtneill

Postby Kenward » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:02 pm

I'm just going on past performance. But you are probably right. With so many companies skipping Vista completely, they may be ripe for a refit.

I have yet to see any of those consultant surveys of corporate intentions. Maybe they will surface soon.

Microsoft has a bit of a cheek, calling Windows 7 a new version when many people describe it as "Vista done right". Because of this, the good news is that many suppliers of software and hardware report that stuff that most of that worked in Vista is fine in Windows 7. Drivers, in particular, seem to survive the transition. This is not the story they handed out when Vista arrived.

It seems that X1 should have few problems in Windows 7. Indeed, become a fan of X1 on Facebook and you can "download the Windows 7 certified version of X1".
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to X1 Professional Client - 6.6.5 (Blackbird)