RC1 does not find PST mail stores on my profile

X1® Professional Client Version - 6.6.5 Blackbird (successor to the X1® Professional Client Version 6.6)

Moderator: Mods

RC1 does not find PST mail stores on my profile

Postby jusjoken » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:05 am

I have just installed the RC after un-installing my licenced version (6.2) (un-install without saving settings as per instructions). My default (and only) outlook profile has 7 additional PST stores... all of which were found and indexed in 6.2.

Under the RC1 X1 client, the only store listed under my Default Outlook Profile is the Mailbox one. The others are not listed.

I tried a number of things to get them listed like removing them from outlook and then re-adding them but nothing has worked yet.

Any suggestions or should I go back to 6.2?

My system is XP SP2, 2GHz Dell laptop with 3 GB ram.

Ken
jusjoken

Postby Kenward » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:39 am

I wish my x1 would do that. It still picks up a "phantom" pst file that has not been seen on my PC for weeks. (It gets created and deleted on the fly by software I use to synchronise Outlook between two PCs.)

I don't know why it is not picking up all of your PSTs. My experience is that you have to add a PST data file to your Profile before x1 will see it. Alternatively, it will see a PST file when it is open.

So if you open a "disconnected" PST file, it will show up in your Mail profile.

For you, then, the question is do you have all those PST files attached to your main Profile?

Me, I have two Profiles: one for my main PST, the one I use all the time; another form my archived PSTs, those that I want indexed but do not want to see every time I open Outlook.

I have no idea what x1 deems to be an "official" solution to this demand. Just because it allows you to "Add PST File(s)" may or may not be an indicator that this is a more efficient and effective way of working.

By the way, the release notes for the latest version include:

Fixed a bug that caused Microsoft Outlook email profiles to become selected for indexing.

I have no idea what it means. I had hoped that it would mend my own problem. No luck. Still picking up entries in a non-existent PST.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby jusjoken » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:22 pm

Thanks for the response.

To answer your question I do have the PST files added to my Outlook Default profile but X1 is not seeing them.

I have also tried the "add PST" function in X1, but X1 will still not index that added PST. I even resorted to running Scanpst on one of my PST (it found and fixed issues)... but X1 will still not index the PST.

I also deleted my Outlook profile and recreated it, but no difference.

I had no issues with X1 seeing these PST under 6.2, so I likely will go back unless someone comes up with another suggestion.
jusjoken

Postby Kenward » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:00 am

Have you tried to "scanpst" on your PST files?

Dodgy PST files have been known to break all sorts of third party software, even though Outlook itself soldiers on.

I can't see that this would apply in your circumstances, but there is little harm in trying, so long as you create backup copies of your PST files before running scanpst. (That is quicker than getting scanpst to do it for you.)

If you are not familiar with scanpst, you can search this forum for earlier messages on what I am talking about.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby jusjoken » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:56 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I found the issue.

All the PST files that were not be offered properly from my profile were in the "Personal Folders File (97-2002)" format. When I created a new PST using the newer format and copied my items across, then the PST shows under my mail profile.

I am back in business.
jusjoken

Postby Kenward » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:32 am

My guess is that it wasn't the format switch in Outlook that fixed your problems, but the process of creating a new PST attached to your mail profile.

X1 should be able to use old PST files, even though that format was phased out some years ago. we all know that "corporates," X1's main market, just love using "legacy software".
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to X1 Professional Client - 6.6.5 (Blackbird)