Can't use, install, or uninstall.

X1® Professional Client Version - 6.6.5 Blackbird (successor to the X1® Professional Client Version 6.6)

Moderator: Mods

Can't use, install, or uninstall.

Postby drobins9 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:25 pm

Hello- I recently upgraded to the latest "Blackbird" release candidate, and it was the first version I've had in a log time that is reasonably quick and doesn't crash all the time.

I kept getting pop-up boxes saying a new version was available and asking me to upgrade. Finally, one of the "upgrades" started to work, but then I got an error and it stopped. Now, if I try to install it, it says there is already X1 installed. If I try to uninstall it, it asks me for the location of an installation package. But if I try to use it, it says, "this action is only valid for products that are currently installed."

What do I do?
drobins9

Postby Kenward » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:15 am

This is the first time I have ever seen any evidence that the "show updates" feature actually works.

Like you, when X1 started today, it offered to update me to "3904".

It is downloading now. Unfortunately, my broadband is playing up, so it could be a long and slow download. So I don't know if I will get the same errors.

My guess would be an incomplete download. I am about to look around for the file.

Do you have the installation files for the version you are now running? You could try installing that again, and perhaps asking it to "Repair".
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby drobins9 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:47 pm

Kenward wrote:This is the first time I have ever seen any evidence that the "show updates" feature actually works.

Like you, when X1 started today, it offered to update me to "3904".

It is downloading now. Unfortunately, my broadband is playing up, so it could be a long and slow download. So I don't know if I will get the same errors.

My guess would be an incomplete download. I am about to look around for the file.

Do you have the installation files for the version you are now running? You could try installing that again, and perhaps asking it to "Repair".

When I try to uninstall, it tells me it needs to access something that is unavailable at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Wise Installation Wizard\. It even does that if I download the installation packge and try to use that to uninstall. Then, when I try to run X1 (the old version), it tells me, "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed." :(
drobins9

Update- but still broken...

Postby drobins9 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:16 pm

Update- When I try to run the build 3899 to uninstall, it said I couldn't run it because I already had a newer version. I couldn't find anywhere on this site to download teh 3904 build, but I figured out I could change the 3899 in the filename on this forum to 3904 to download the 3904 build.

So I downloaded that, but it tries to work as an install until it gives me the same error. It says it can't find WIS8A39D2E80A314C0391D8F48893A66EA5_6_5.MSI as it is apparently trying to uninstall a prior build.
drobins9

Postby Greg Dawes » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:59 am

Through an open support ticket, we were able to resolve drobins9's issue. Following is a copy of the instructions that were sent:

---------------------------------------------
From X1 Support:

When you originally install an MSI package a cached version of the MSI data is stored on your computer. Later, when you attempt to remove or upgrade that product, the Windows installer refers back to that cached data to “remember” what was installed originally so that it knows what to remove/upgrade.

So what does this all mean to your case? Well, my suspicion is that, somehow, the cached MSI file, needed to cleanly remove/upgrade your earlier installation of X1, has been deleted. As a result, when trying to install this new version, it recognizes the remnants of the previous version and goes off hunting for the cached MSI only to find it does not exist.

I believe that there is a manual work-around for this issue. There are two registry keys that need to be removed before the installation process will continue. Try this:

1. Click on Start > Run
2. Type regedit and press Enter
3. Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\
4. Underneath the Products key should be a number of ID #'s
5. Scroll through the list and the right-hand pane should reveal "X1" in the "Product Name" field
6. Note the ID #
7. Right-click the ID # and select Export -- provide a name for the file and save it
8. Next, right-click the same ID # and choose Delete

Now, you will follow the same basic steps, but use this registry location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\
1. Scroll through the list and locate the same ID # as above -- again, the right-hand pane should reveal "X1" in the "Product Name" field
2. Right-click the ID # and select Export -- provide a name for the file and save it
3. Next, right-click the same ID # and choose Delete
4. Close the registry editor

After running through the above steps, try launching the X1 installer. If all works fine, you can save the registry exports that were make in steps 7 and 2 respectively and send a copy to us for review.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Kenward » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:30 pm

Deleted MSI installations seem to be one of those things that happens when "smart" people try to clean up Windows and through various "optimisation" tools at it.

I used to play around like that. Then I realised that many of those things are there for a reason.

So I have tamed my invitation to wreak havoc on Windows.

My usual solution to the "cannot find the installation package" message is to reinstall the software in question.

I had other problems with "liveupdate" of X1, which I have reported to the guys in charge.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby drobins9 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:19 am

Kenward wrote:Deleted MSI installations seem to be one of those things that happens when "smart" people try to clean up Windows and through various "optimisation" tools at it.

I used to play around like that. Then I realised that many of those things are there for a reason.

So I have tamed my invitation to wreak havoc on Windows.

My usual solution to the "cannot find the installation package" message is to reinstall the software in question.

I had other problems with "liveupdate" of X1, which I have reported to the guys in charge.

I had never manually deleted the installation, and I don't use any clean up tools like that. When I want to upgrade, the upgrade failed mid-stream and seemed to leave some remanants that kept it from removing, upgrading, or installing. The instructions they sent me worked perfectly, however.
drobins9

Return to X1 Professional Client - 6.6.5 (Blackbird)