Blackbird Release Candidate III released

X1® Professional Client Version - 6.6.5 Blackbird (successor to the X1® Professional Client Version 6.6)

Moderator: Mods

Blackbird Release Candidate III released

Postby Greg Dawes » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:35 am

As an FYI -- Blackbird Release Candidate II (Build 3904) is set to expire on Monday, September 21, 2009.

To that end, we've just released Blackbird Release Candidate (RC) III. If you have a previous version of Blackbird and would like to auto-update to the new build, verify that the setting:

- Check for new version at startup

is checked - this option is found on the Tools > Options > Basic Options menu. Close X1 using the File > Exit menu and then relaunch - you should be prompted to download the update.

To download manually or review additional information regarding the new build, please review this forum post: http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?t=4093

Thanks!
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Re: Blackbird Release Candidate III released

Postby Kenward » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:37 am

Greg Dawes wrote:As an FYI -- Blackbird Release Candidate II (Build 3904) is set to expire on Monday, September 21, 2009.

Just to note that the new RC has an expiry date of 31 October 31 2009.

This is detailed in the message on the new RC.

I mention this only because I was recently involved in other beta tests where one user assumed that the beta version would work for ever.

No chance.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Auto update

Postby julier999 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:42 pm

I have RC 3899 installed, and my "check for new version at startup" option is grayed out so I can't check it.

I have now checked "Also check for pre release (beta) versions" so hopefully it won't quit on me without warning. Again.

I don't assume a beta will last forever. I do assume I could at least have some notice on a product I have purchased that it is going to quit.

The humorous thing is I need my X1 to search for my X1 registration code!

Julie
julier999

Postby Kenward » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:05 am

I have now checked "Also check for pre release (beta) versions" so hopefully it won't quit on me without warning. Again.

That's odd, I'm getting the beta versions without checking that box.

I think that is there for future use. They implemented the feature in the beta tests. It has always been there, but never did anything. I guess it makes sense for beta versions to check for beta updates.

You probably knew this anyway, but X1 changed the licence rules not long ago when it also implemented longer licence keys.

This means that you may not be able to use the latest and greatest, even when they release the final version of "Blackbird".

If you don't want to shell out for a new licence, then get yourself an earlier version of X1.

When you dig out the details you have for yourself, if you haven't got copies of earlier versions of X1, then when you manage to penetrate the password zone you can retrieve the installation files for the versions that you paid for.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to X1 Professional Client - 6.6.5 (Blackbird)