Search multiple PST files separately on the same PC

X1® Professional Client Version - Raptor builds (both Beta and Release Candidates)

Moderator: Mods

Search multiple PST files separately on the same PC

Postby JPL-SEARCH » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:39 am

Hi,

I have purchased your X1 search client for a specific project; to search multiple PST files separately. Each time I switch back and forth between PST files on the same PC I have to re-index these files which can take 6-10 hours on our fastest server grade machine. Is there a way I can save the indexes with the PST files and switch back and forth between them? Thanks.

JPL
JPL-SEARCH

Re: Search multiple PST files separately on the same PC

Postby Kenward » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:48 am

How are you switching "back and forth between PST files on the same PC"?

How are the PST files connected to X1?

Through a Mail profile? Or attached directly through "Manage Data Sources"?

I have X1 indexing about a dozen PST files. It happily remembers them all.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby JPL-SEARCH » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:34 am

The project requires that I search different users PST files that I moved to one PC for certain information (legal investigation). I have to keep these emails and user's PST files separate or the program is mixing up all the users (remembering all the indexes for each PST so I must clear the indexes each time I switch to another user). The PSTs are connected to X1 through Outlook's profile. Based on the info found I then have to go back and search these PST files again. When I do this I have to re-index the PST files again. I have some users with over 80GB of email and this takes a long time to re-index. There must be a way to save the indexes with the PSTs and move them in and out of the directory so I can complete this project quickly. The software is amazing but it must have the ability to save and store the indexes.
JPL-SEARCH

Postby Kenward » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:27 am

It sounds like you are asking X1 to do something that it isn't designed for. The idea is that once it gets its clutches on your PST files, it remembers them. If you keep taking them away it quite rightly does what you have told it to do, and forgets them.

But unless someone has told you not to index them all at once, I see why you cannot index the whole caboodle and then use the search feature to tell the PSTs apart.

Unless I have completely misunderstood the challenge, which is quite likely, you don't need separate indexes, simply a way of telling the PSTs apart within an index.

If you search All Email in Outlook, you can use the Path column to home in on a particular PST. Even if the PST files have same names, the location (path) will be different. Just use that as the search term.

Even better, you could create a series of Saved searches, one for each PST file based on that Path column. Then it would be a matter of a single click to switch between examining PST A and PST B.

But as I said, if someone has told you that you must not allow these PST files to get too close to one another, you are probably stuffed. AS I understand it, the idea of X1 is to search an accumulation of data, not to run a series or completely independent index and search operations with multiple indexes.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to X1 Professional Client - 6.7.x (Raptor)