X1® Professional Client Raptor Release Candidate

X1® Professional Client Version - Raptor builds (both Beta and Release Candidates)

Moderator: Mods

Postby Greg Dawes » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:48 pm

(Build 3969) (Created: Fri Dec 18 15:23:47 PST 2009)

We are pleased to announce the Raptor Release Candidate.

Some things you should try out:
  • General searching and look for responsiveness of the results pane
  • Multiple term searching
  • Sorting results by multiple columns or reversing sort order on a given column
  • Switching tabs
  • Test Outlook Real Time Indexing (on all your folders now)

NOTE: Installing this build requires that .NET 3.0 or higher be installed on your computer. Here is the link to the latest .NET 3.5 SP1:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

-----------------------------------------------------

You can download the X1 Professional Client Raptor Release Candidate by using this link: <old link removed> -- please see viewtopic.php?f=48&t=4214
Note: The Raptor Release Candidate will function until January 13, 2010, by which time we will either have already posted an updated release candidate or announced the release of the next GA version.

**Important Considerations**
- KNOWN DOWNGRADE ISSUE: Downgrading from X1 Professional Client Raptor to 6.2.x (or lower) while saving settings will cause issues in the X1 index that prevent the application from launching. If you plan to downgrade from X1 Professional Client Raptor, uninstall the X1 client WITHOUT saving settings.
- Remember that we always advise that you uninstall any currently installed version of X1, without saving your settings/preferences, before installing any beta build
- Please restrict all comments regarding this release to this section of the forum
- Any user upgrading from 5.5.5 or previous will be required to rebuild their index files.

-----------------------------------------------------

Release Notes:
New Features (available on the X1 eDiscovery Client)
The X1 eDiscovery Client is a new version of the X1 Professional Client designed for the electronic legal services market. Contact sales at sales@x1.com for a trial of the X1 eDiscovery Client.
  • The content export feature now allows for full content export for locally indexed items, including files, email, contacts, calendar items, and tasks.
  • Extended content export capability for removable drives
  • Allow additional columns to be sorted when primary sort column is the tag or annotation column

New Features/Enhancements in the X1 Professional Client
  • Major enhancements to RTI Oulook to make it faster and cover your entire mailbox and non-default profiles
  • Improvements to overall speed of results after searching
  • Improved the column search speed
  • Better preview for files located within ZIPs
  • Implemented version 8.3.2 of Outside In
  • Improved the merging behavior of the indexes to support faster searching
  • Sped up the highlighting routines
  • Reduced the time required to display the results pane
  • Enhanced compatibility of Deployment Manager on Vista and Windows 7

Bug Fixes
  • Fixed an error that prevented some users from registering the product
  • Fixed the delay scan setting that was not functioning properly under Windows 7
  • Fixed a bug where some emails that came in while a scan was already in process were being missed
  • Fixed a bug where the deskbar would not install in Windows 7
  • Fixed a bug that caused accented A characters to be displayed in some email previews
  • Fixed two bugs that prevented installing on Windows 7 64-bit
  • Fixed a bug where the Keyboard Quick Launch Shortcuts were missing for some users on upgrade
  • Fixed a bug where the X1 Updater would unnecessarily inform the user they were on the most recent version
  • Fixed a major bug where indexing will stop until you restart X1 if you use the keyboard to move between results in the Results Pane
  • Fixed a bug where X1 would crash if you used the Delete key to launch the Delete PSA
  • Improved the installation behavior on 64-bit machines
  • Improved the installer and uninstaller functions
  • Fixed multiple issues associated with the deskbar, including installing, uninstalling, running in Vista, and running on 64-bit OS's
  • Fixed multiple issues associated with improper behavior of the results pane when using the Page Up and Page Down keys
  • Fixed a bug where Results Pane would appear blank until you clicked on a result
  • Fixed a bug where using long names for Saved Searches would cause a crash
  • Preventing indexing of the 64-bit version of Outlook 2010 as it is not currently supported

Unsupported Products/Known Issues:
  • Downgrading from Raptor to 6.2.4 or earlier release requires uninstall without saving index/settings.
  • Korean characters in Excel tab are displayed in broken characters in the preview pane.
  • Add to Zip PSA does not preserve source file location.
  • Delete button does not work when deskbar is undocked.
  • On startup, X1 minimizes to the Taskbar even when told to minimize to system tray.
  • Plaxo - Versions of the Plaxo Toolbar for Outlook earlier than 2.0 may cause instability in Outlook when used with X1. http://www.plaxo.com/
  • IMAP Email Servers - X1 does not support indexing of email messages when using IMAP mailboxes. X1 recommends always storing copies of email messages in a local PST file.
  • Microsoft Outlook with MSN Hotmail - X1 does not support indexing of MSN Hotmail email messages synchronized with Microsoft Outlook. http://www.hotmail.com/
  • iPodSync - Searching Microsoft Outlook contacts is broken when using iPodSync. http://www.ipod-sync.com/
  • Outlook Express - When using X1 to open, forward, or reply to Outlook Express email messages with attachments, the new email message will not contain the attachments.
  • Access - Unable to preview Access Database Formats beyond Version 2.0 or indexing any Access Database formats.
  • Preview of PDF documents with the hidden text property turned on does not preview results.
  • X1 does not automatically detect Outlook mail profile default changes while running. X1 needs to be restarted to establish a connection to the new Outlook email profile.
  • X1 does not fully support multi-monitor environments.
  • X1 must be closed when Symantec Offline Vault is updated.
  • Deployment Manager builds DO NOT support push-to-client searches created in the X1 Enterprise Server.
  • "Forward" post search action does not work properly for Lotus Notes email multi-selection that contains attachments.
  • Performing a "Copy to Folder" PSA on items in a folder with an auto-forward rule causes the rule to be applied again on the items selected.
  • X1 Installer will not start X1 after install in Vista and Windows 7 to prevent conflicts with Outlook.
  • Files RTI is not compatible with Microsoft Vista junction points.
  • 64-bit operating systems are not currently supported.
  • X1 will ignore registry parameters passed from Windows Vista searches for variables such as My Computer, Recycling Bin, Network Locations, Desktop.
  • The F3 command in Windows Vista does not send a query to the default search engine if the cursor is placed in the Windows Explorer search box.
  • X1 will not index Lotus Notes emails that only appear in the "All Documents" view.
  • The "Add to Zip" post search action executes only on items with titles/columns with latin-1 UTF characters.
  • X1 Client upgrades with deskbar enabled in Windows Vista and Windows 7 will prompt a Windows Explorer re-start.
  • Norton 360 on-access firewall and Symantec Endpoint Protection may cause X1 startup problems which result in "Remote Procedure Call Failed".
  • X1 does not support double byte characters in the installation or data directory paths.
  • X1 does not support double byte characters for the Mozilla Thunderbird and Outlook Express mail clients.
  • X1 does not support double byte characters for Lotus Notes passwords.
  • X1 does not support indexing multiple copies of the same Lotus Notes replica database.
  • X1 only supports PST paths and MAPI profiles that contain characters that map to the locale regional settings.
  • A change in locale regional settings requires the user to rename profile names/PST file paths and re-build the X1 index.
  • X1 does not support drag & drop of an email with CJK characters in the subject to Outlook 2003.
  • X1 search highlighting for files has been turned off for queries that contain CJK characters.
  • Outlook 2010 - X1 does not currently support indexing the 64-bit version of Outlook 2010.

Upgrade Considerations:
The following settings will not be preserved upon an upgrade to the X1 Professional Client 6.0 or higher:
  • Changes to the actions toolbar.
  • The "Load X1 at Startup" setting.

Windows 7 and Vista User Access Control (UAC) Considerations:
  • The following actions require administrator authentication:
    • The ability to install X1.
    • Registering the product for all users.
    • Setting shortcut settings for all users.
    • Adding/removing plugins.
    • Running content export.
  • For these actions, an authentication dialog will prompt for a username and password with administrator privileges.

X1 Supported Platforms Guide
X1 Technologies goes out of its way to explicitly test our products with a number of third-party products. Our goal is to test and validate that our products work with those products our customers and partners use most frequently. Just because a particular version of the third-party software is not listed on the supported platforms guide does not mean that the product will not work with X1, just that we do not explicitly test that version of the application.

X1 Server/Client Compatibility Guide
X1 Server v2.0 supports X1 Professional Client versions 2.x
X1 Server v2.5.x supports X1 Professional Client versions 5.x & 6.x

Symantec Vault Supported Platform
Symantec Enterprise Vault v6, v7, v7.5, v8 for Microsoft Exchange
Microsoft Outlook 2003
Professional Client v5.6 or greater

System Requirements - X1 Professional Client
256 MB RAM required / 512 MB RAM recommended
1 GB free hard disk recommended
Note: Actual memory and space used depends on number of files and email messages indexed.

System Requirements - X1 eDiscovery Client
Dual-core processor
1GB RAM required / 2GB RAM recommended
1 GB free hard disk recommended
Note: Actual memory and space used depends on number of files and email messages indexed.

Operating System
Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2 & SP3
Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2 & SP3
Microsoft Windows Vista
Microsoft Windows 7
Microsoft .NET 3.0 and above required.

Email Clients
Lotus Notes & Domino 6.5.x to 8.0.x
Microsoft Outlook XP, 2003 and 2007 & 2007 SP1
Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0
Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5, 2.0
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Re: X1® Professional Client Raptor Release Candidate

Postby Kenward » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:49 am

Greg Dawes wrote:Note: The Raptor Release Candidate will function until January 13, 2010, at which time we will either post an updated release candidate or release the next GA version.

In reality, new versions sometimes arrive before the expiry date.

After all, it is just a week since the last version.

Maybe explaining this would frighten people a bit less.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Tod » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:09 pm

Kenward,
Good point. The following statement:
Greg Dawes wrote:Note: The Raptor Release Candidate will function until January 13, 2010, at which time we will either post an updated release candidate or release the next GA version.

could be more accurately written as:

Note: The Raptor Release Candidate will function until January 13, 2010, by which time we will either have already posted an updated release candidate or announced the release of the next GA version.
Tod
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Greg Dawes » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:07 am

Sorry for the confusion....I've updated the Raptor Release Candidate post with the new wording.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Kenward » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:46 am

No real confusion. Just a suggestion to calm worried users.

I still thing the "Help->About" bit:

X1 ® Professional Client Version Raptor Release Candidate
(Build 3969) (Created: Fri Dec 18 15:23:47 PST 2009)

Would also benefit from having the expiry date.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby gww » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:20 am

Not indexing Outlook (continuing conversation with Greg Dawes)

This is what I did.

- Did a clean install by uninstalling any previous version
- Outlook.pst on E: drive "that did not work"
- copied it to the default location C:\Users\gw\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook and made it the default pst file "that did not work"
- Did another clean install with the new C: drvie default location "that did not work"
- used ScanPST on Outlook.pst several times until repair was complete "that did not work"

Let me know what you would like me to try.
Regards, grant

Windows 7 PRO 64-bit
Outlook 2007
gww
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby gww » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:11 am

Follow up...

Switched Outlook.pst back to E: Drive
Uninstalled Raptor and installed x1_v6.2.4 pro_client_3631bp for the first time.
Outlook indexed correctly.
Regards, grant

Windows 7 PRO 64-bit
Outlook 2007
gww
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby rgalan » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:20 pm

Whenever I try to open any of the indexed emails, I get an error message stating
"Unable to locate this email message..."

I tried a complete reinstall but got the same result. Any ideas?
rgalan

Postby Tod » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:27 pm

On your reinstall, did you save settings? If you saved settings, it also saved your index. If so, you can try a reinstall and don't save settings, or you can try deleting your index and letting it rebuild (Tools:Options:Indexing:Clear Index Files... and then manually start indexing)
Tod
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby wpilgri » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:01 pm

This sounds like the same problem I am having. I Installed build 3969 on my XP SP3 machine running Outlook 2007 SP2 and X1 no longer indexes email. v6.2.4 was working fine. I talked with tech support and they suggested running Scanpst which did find problems in my .pst files. After the repair X1 still would only index my inbox, nothing else. The one thing I found was that if I dragged an email message from the inbox to another folder the other folder would then be indexed. This is very repeatable on my machine. Don't know what to do next. Waiting to hear from X1 support (excellent by the way) but wanted to share my experience.

Also, is it a new "feature" that I cannot select what folders I want to index in Outlook in build 3969? When I select the "Select folders to scan" button for Outlook email indexing all I see is a checkbox by the word "outlook" my profile name but not a folder list like there was in v6.2.4. Maybe the two problems are related.

Thank You
wpilgri

Postby Tod » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:17 pm

For everyone reporting problems, can you provide some information:
  • Version of Outlook being used
  • Whether you are using an OST, a PST, or a combination
  • An idea of when the PST was originally created (was it created recently with Outlook 2007, or a long while ago with Outlook 2000

We have identified one problem that is causing some or all of the problems with PST files, specifically if you were not having problems with 6.2.3 or 6.2.4 and hope to have a fix for you to test as soon as tomorrow.
Tod
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby mikebainbridge » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:03 am

Excellent news about the possible fix Tod - I was about to give up and go back to a clean stable v6 release...

For the record:
Hardware :Panasonic F8 Core2 cuo P9300 @2.27Ghz 3GB RAM
FS: NTFS
Software: Outlook 2007 (12.0.6514.5000) SP2 MSO (12.0.6425.1000)X1 build 3979

I am 'all PST' and have 19 of them. They were created in the version of OL which existed at the time. What I used to do prior to X1 was file everything in sub-directories in the PST. When the PST approached the 2Gb limit (remember that one?) I would start a new one. Since X1 in 2003/4 I have just run an inbox clean up every 6 weeks which moves anything older than 6 weeks into archive[n].pst .I keep them all below 4Gb as my current backup solution is FAT32. This keeps OL perky and as I always use X1 to find anything, completely transparent. The only time I ever access the psts in OL is when I have a problem like this and I want to be sure that there is a problem...

Looking forward to testing tomorrow...

Mike
mikebainbridge
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby gww » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:43 am

Here is a way to make Raptor work with your Outlook 97-2002 Personal Folders File. :D
This works for Outlook 2007 and should work for Outlook 2003. You can also wait for the X1 fix that Tod spoke about & save yourself some trouble. :wink:

This is the method I used.
http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_upgrade_my_ ... ormat.html

More reading from Microsoft but basically this sections says it all.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlo ... 71033.aspx
Convert an Outlook 97-2002 .pst file to Outlook 2003/Office Outlook 2007 format

There is no automatic procedure to convert an Outlook 97-2002 Personal Folders File (.pst) to the new, larger-capacity Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst), which supports Unicode. The easiest way to convert an older .pst file to the new file format is to create a new data file in the new format and then import items from the older data file to the new Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst).
Regards, grant

Windows 7 PRO 64-bit
Outlook 2007
gww
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby wpilgri » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:46 am

Just wanted to report back that upgrading both my .PST files from the old 97-2002 version to v2007 solved my problem. I am running XP SP3, Outlook 2007 SP2, and X1 build 3969.

Thanks Guys
wpilgri

Postby Tod » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:07 am

For those of you having problems with PST files (and who haven't already rebuilt their PSTs in the new format) here is a build that resolves this issue. Please download it and test it out and let us know if it fixes your problems:

http://www.x1.com/cs/x1_pro_client_dotNet_3991.exe

There will be a new official release candidate posted on Monday or Tuesday, so be sure that you have your "Also check for pre-release (beta) versions" checked in your Tools:Options setting so that you get notified of the new official release.
Tod
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby itvinci » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:28 pm

Issues in Win7 with Outlook 2007

I just went through the installation process and broke a bunch of rules, but I am at a point that requires some assistance.

Installation Procedure.
1. Client 6.2.4 was installed
2. Installed Most Recent Raptor (6.6.5)
3. Installed .NET 3.51 Framework (I forgot to install it beforehand, and the install did not complain)

Result
At first glance, it appeared that X1 was working and the problem I was trying to address (being able to tell X1 to index all the time) was fixed.

However, when I launched outlook I received the following error.

Another strange issue (that I did not see in 6.2.4) is that X1 does not function properly through remote desktop. The preview pane shows, but the remainder of the client is transparent as shown below.

Also, if I am in Outlook, the X1 interface is transparent as well. You can see in the image below, I just clicked on some white space on the left-hand side of the screen and my mouse pointer actually clicked a search result item and displayed it on the right.

In Summary
1. X1 Appears to be working locally, despite the error I get when I startup Outlook. .NET is installed as I see it under Windows components, but there appears to be issues. Is there a way to un-install/install .NET?

2. I cannot UNINSTALL [accidentally said "install" orignally] X1, as it complains with the same error as Outlook complains with on startup.

3. X1 6.6.5 acts "funky" through remote desktop.

What I would like
1. X1 to continue to work with remote desktop sessions.
2. A method to un-install the client.

Thanks.
Chris.
Last edited by itvinci on Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
itvinci

Postby gww » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:40 pm

I had the .net notice when installing the X1 beta needing 3.5 .net. Uninstall X1, make sure Net 3.5 is install and re-install X1 beta. Should be be good to go. If that works then try your other funtions....
Regards, grant

Windows 7 PRO 64-bit
Outlook 2007
gww
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby gww » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:29 pm

Tod wrote:For those of you having problems with PST files (and who haven't already rebuilt their PSTs in the new format) here is a build that resolves this issue. Please download it and test it out and let us know if it fixes your problems:

http://www.x1.com/cs/x1_pro_client_dotNet_3991.exe

There will be a new official release candidate posted on Monday or Tuesday, so be sure that you have your "Also check for pre-release (beta) versions" checked in your Tools:Options setting so that you get notified of the new official release.

I did convert to the Outlook 2007 PST format but still had some older Archive in the older format and x1_pro_client_dotNet_3991 is indexing them both.
Good work :!:
Regards, grant

Windows 7 PRO 64-bit
Outlook 2007
gww
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby itvinci » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:24 pm

gww wrote:I had the .net notice when installing the X1 beta needing 3.5 .net. Uninstall X1, make sure Net 3.5 is install and re-install X1 beta. Should be be good to go. If that works then try your other funtions....

Hey Grant,

Thanks for the reply. You will see in my post that I cannot un-install X1 [I just re-read it and I had said "install" instead of "uninstall", I have corrected it] as I get the same error message when I try to un-install as when I enter Outlook. Is there an un-installer utility?

Thanks.

Chris.
itvinci

Postby Greg Dawes » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:31 pm

gww wrote:I did convert to the Outlook 2007 PST format but still had some older Archive in the older format and x1_pro_client_dotNet_3991 is indexing them both.
Good work :!:
Awesome!! Thanks for the update Grant!
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby gww » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:10 pm

itvinci wrote:
gww wrote:I had the .net notice when installing the X1 beta needing 3.5 .net. Uninstall X1, make sure Net 3.5 is install and re-install X1 beta. Should be be good to go. If that works then try your other funtions....

Hey Grant,

Thanks for the reply. You will see in my post that I cannot un-install X1 [I just re-read it and I had said "install" instead of "uninstall", I have corrected it] as I get the same error message when I try to un-install as when I enter Outlook. Is there an un-installer utility?

Thanks.

Chris.

Hi Chris,

You may want to try Revo Uninstaller http://www.revouninstaller.com/ they have a free version and the Pro version has a thirty day trial that is fully functional.
Regards, grant

Windows 7 PRO 64-bit
Outlook 2007
gww
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Greg Dawes » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:19 pm

itvinci wrote:Is there an un-installer utility?Chris.
Chris,

Please refer to this X1 Knowledge Base article for instructions on manually removing X1:
http://tinyurl.com/5bmshr

Please post back and let us know if this works for you.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Tod » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:48 pm

Itvinci,

Can you clarify which version you had installed? You mentioned:

But if you installed 6.6.5, then that was actually codenamed Blackbird. Can you clarify which build you installed? I ask because we had a fix that we put in build 3985, so I'd like to know if you installed before or after that. If you installed the Raptor Release Candidate, that is build 3969, but if you installed the version that got posted to this thread today, that is build 3991, so should fix the problem you saw.

Cheers,
Tod
Tod
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby itvinci » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:25 pm

Tod wrote:Itvinci,

But if you installed 6.6.5, then that was actually codenamed Blackbird. Can you clarify which build you installed? I ask because we had a fix that we put in build 3985, so I'd like to know if you installed before or after that. If you installed the Raptor Release Candidate, that is build 3969, but if you installed the version that got posted to this thread today, that is build 3991, so should fix the problem you saw.

Cheers,
Tod

Hey Tod,
I downloaded and installed build 3991 and it fixed both of my problems. I'll post any more issues that I have. Thanks guys.

Chris.
itvinci

Postby itvinci » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:28 pm

itvinci wrote:
Tod wrote:Itvinci,

Cheers,
Tod

Hey Tod,

I had written the following:

I downloaded and installed build 3991 and it fixed both of my problems. I'll post any more issues that I have. Thanks guys.

However, the transparency issue is back using remote desktop? I have no idea why I had one session work properly. I'll keep trying different computers to see if I can figure anything out, but if you guys know anything from your end, it would be appreciated.

The Outlook error is gone, but I cannot use X1 through a remote session which is critical for me as I remote to my computer at least 75% of the time.

Chris.
itvinci

Postby Tod » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:34 pm

Chris,
I am not sure about the transparency issues, but I know that we dealt with some of those before - I just can't recall the ultimate problem and solution off the top of my head. I will consult about this on Monday and try to update you.
The only thing I can think to try right now would be to right-click the X1 icon and run it with elevated permissions or as an administrator. No guarantees that it would work, but worth a try.
Cheers,
Tod
Tod
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby itvinci » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:50 am

Tod wrote:Chris,
I am not sure about the transparency issues, but I know that we dealt with some of those before - I just can't recall the ultimate problem and solution off the top of my head. I will consult about this on Monday and try to update you.
The only thing I can think to try right now would be to right-click the X1 icon and run it with elevated permissions or as an administrator. No guarantees that it would work, but worth a try.
Cheers,
Tod

I have tried the elevated option (right-click & CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER options), but I tried it again. Still transparent. I have been using remote desktop technology since Citrix on NT 3.5 and I have never seen this before. It does seem to simply be a transparency issue. It might have something to do with all the transparency-preview stuff in Win7 now. The screen is there, I can click on stuff....it is just invisible.

Thanks.
itvinci

Postby mikebainbridge » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:00 pm

Thanks Tod - downloaded, upgrade installed (Didn't have time for uninstall and reinstall before Sunday lunch) and left running on 'aggressive' re-index of email this afternoon as the installation seemed to have deleted the current indexes. Came back now to find 'error click to try again' on the X1 client... Set it running again. Currently stuck in an 11.90% complete / optimizing index loop. Currently only 38,870 mails out of over 260,000 that I know should be found seem to have been recognised according to the bottom left hand corner of the client.

All my PSTs in the 'choices box' now definitely have their sub-directories enumerated which is a change from the previous versions.
I must admit, however, I'm getting bored running scanpst on 19 psts to check if the error is from me... I'm not accessing them with Outlook (or anything else) so something appears to be 'damaging' them or changing them so that scanpst reports errors. I have them backed up and never add, change or delete. They are not in my Outlook profile and so the only programme that touches them to my knowledge is X1. I'm assuming that setting the 'use X1 as my primary search' option is not allowing MS search to continue ? I am not worried from the POV of my own data integrity but I'm pretty sure most normal people do not take backup as seriously as I (and hopefully all other Beta testers) do.

If I _have_ to convert the PSTs to the new structure then I will but only after making sure that my backup of the old ones is secure on spinning and optical media. I'm also not keen on destructively converting them as from a medico-legal perspective this would dramatically change the original. I'm a clinician working in medical IT and the integrity of information is something I deal with professionally on a daily basis. I've worked on forensic cases where data has been altered with 'system tools' as well as through hacking tools and have first hand knowledge of the legal challenges that have been placed on converted and altered data. I'm not naive to how little audit trail there is in old PST structure but as I'm sure you are aware, the validity of data in its original format and the 'proof' of the conversion process is an 'interesting' topic. I'll leave the re-started index running overnight (still at 11.90% complete) and see where things are in the morning.

Mike
mikebainbridge
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby mikebainbridge » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:45 am

Just an update this morning - indexing stalled again overnight with 'Error - click to continue' (How about this error message telling us which file it doesn't like ?) .. Now at 31% and mails from 1998 have started to appear so that's a definite improvement. More as it progresses..

Mike
mikebainbridge
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby mikebainbridge » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:03 am

Spoke too soon - have mail from 1998 in X1 but no current mail... 'Error click to re-try'

Scanpst here we go again...
mikebainbridge
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby mikebainbridge » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:15 am

OK further update - I couldn't get my latest mail to index. So:

1 uninstalled and deleted all the X1 and store directories.
2 ran scanpst again on main inbox pst for the second time today -> "there are only minor errors - repair optional" - I repaired again
3.Clean install of x1 3991
4. 4 hours to index all of the main pst ~22,500 mailings. I had to re-start indexing once after an 'error- click to continue'
5. Added old style pst to X1 with mail from 1998 in it
6. Mail from 1998 and current mail available to search but again needed a manual 'click to try again' early in the process and it seemed to be before it got to the 1998 postings to me.

I will continue running scanpst on each individual pst and then add psts one by one to see if I can get back to where I was using this approach.

Mike
mikebainbridge
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Tod » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:58 pm

itvinci wrote:I have been using remote desktop technology since Citrix on NT 3.5 and I have never seen this before. It does seem to simply be a transparency issue. It might have something to do with all the transparency-preview stuff in Win7 now. The screen is there, I can click on stuff....it is just invisible.

Itvinci,
It might be related to the version of remote desktop that you are using or the options you have selected. Microsoft recently updated their software to fix some problems - do you know if you are on the most recent version? The easiest way to tell this is if you have noticed a UI change recently and/or the icon has green > and < symbols. The more supported way would be to check the version at: C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe. Mine lists as 6.1.7600.16385 with a date of 10/19/1009.
Which OS you are using (on the connecting machine, not the remote machine)
Also, what options are turned on in the remote desktop settings? Like this:

Cheers,
Tod
Tod
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby itvinci » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:07 am

Tod wrote:
itvinci wrote:I have been using remote desktop technology since Citrix on NT 3.5 and I have never seen this before. It does seem to simply be a transparency issue. It might have something to do with all the transparency-preview stuff in Win7 now. The screen is there, I can click on stuff....it is just invisible.

Itvinci,
It might be related to the version of remote desktop that you are using or the options you have selected. Microsoft recently updated their software to fix some problems - do you know if you are on the most recent version? The easiest way to tell this is if you have noticed a UI change recently and/or the icon has green > and < symbols. The more supported way would be to check the version at: C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe. Mine lists as 6.1.7600.16385 with a date of 10/19/1009.
Which OS you are using (on the connecting machine, not the remote machine)
Also, what options are turned on in the remote desktop settings? Like this:

Cheers,
Tod

Hey Tod,

Yeah I thought of that right away too. I enabled everything on the client and it makes no difference. I have been attaching from Win7 and WinXP with the same results. I have not tried downgrading the RDP client. Is there an easy way to check the version of the RDP client you are running? I think this is the version I have on my XP machine (6.0.6001.18000). The version on my Win7 machines is 6.1.7600.16385.

Tod. Can you remote to your machine and use the client without the transparency issue? Anyone else?

Chris.
itvinci

Postby Tod » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:33 am

The quick answer is that, no, we haven't seen this. I will be checking again with everyone in the office to be sure. In the meantime, can you confirm something for me? Are you running any other remote desktop or screen-sharing apps at the same time? The reason I ask is because we have seen a transparency problem in the past, but it was with GoToMeeting. GoToMeeting was not showing certain X1 menu pull-downs. But it was a bug in GoToMeeting that they fixed.
Tod
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby itvinci » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:20 pm

Not sure how I missed this reply from you Tod.

I have LogMeIn installed on the machine I am connecting to, but it is not "running" as far as I know.

I'm still having the same problem, even after upgrading to the most recent client.

Chris.
itvinci

Postby tjh » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:54 pm

Have you also tried upgrading your graphic's card drivers? Sometimes these sort of things show themselves with buggy graphics card drivers.

A shot in the dark, but maybe worth a try?
TiM
X1 Search v8.5.1 - 6001se (64 Bit)
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Return to X1 Professional Client - 6.7.x (Raptor)