X1® Professional Client Version 6.7

X1® Professional Client Version - Raptor builds (both Beta and Release Candidates)

Moderator: Mods

X1® Professional Client Version 6.7

Postby Greg Dawes » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:49 pm

X1® Professional Client Version 6.7 (formerly Raptor)
(Build 4023) (Created: Thu Feb 11 16:05:56 PST 2010)

NOTE: Installing this build requires that .NET 3.0 or higher be installed on your computer. Here is the link to the latest .NET 3.5 SP1:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

-----------------------------------------------------

You can download the X1 Professional Client Version 6.7 using this link: [The link to v6.7 has been removed]

**Important Considerations**
- KNOWN DOWNGRADE ISSUE: Downgrading from X1 Professional Client Version 6.7 to 6.2.x (or lower) while saving settings will cause issues in the X1 index that prevent the application from launching. If you plan to downgrade from X1 Professional Client Version 6.7, uninstall the X1 client WITHOUT saving preferences/settings.
- Any user upgrading from 5.5.5 or previous will be required to rebuild their index files.

-----------------------------------------------------

Release Notes:
New Features (available on the X1 eDiscovery Client)
The X1 eDiscovery Client is a new version of the X1 Professional Client designed for the electronic legal services market. Contact sales at sales@x1.com for a trial of the X1 eDiscovery Client.
  • The content export feature now allows for full content export for locally indexed items, including files, email, contacts, calendar items, and tasks.
  • Extended content export capability for removable drives
  • Allow additional columns to be sorted when primary sort column is the tag or annotation column

New Features/Enhancements in the X1 Professional Client
  • Major enhancements to RTI Oulook to make it faster and cover your entire mailbox and non-default profiles
  • Improvements to overall speed of results after searching
  • Improved the column search speed
  • Better preview for files located within ZIPs
  • Implemented version 8.3.2 of Outside In
  • Improved the merging behavior of the indexes to support faster searching
  • Sped up the highlighting routines
  • Reduced the time required to display the results pane
  • Enhanced compatibility of Deployment Manager on Vista and Windows 7

Bug Fixes
  • Improved the default indexing folder selection for Vista and Windows 7
  • Fixed installer errors when installing on 64-bit OS
  • Fixed a bug where launching Outlook before launching X1 immediately after installation would complicate the installation
  • Fixed a bug that caused "Error -- Click to try again" message while indexing email
  • Improved the behavior of the Lotus Forward PSA.
  • Fixed an error that prevented some users from registering the product
  • Fixed the delay scan setting that was not functioning properly under Windows 7
  • Fixed a bug where some emails that came in while a scan was already in process were being missed
  • Fixed a bug where the deskbar would not install in Windows 7
  • Fixed a bug that caused accented A characters to be displayed in some email previews
  • Fixed two bugs that prevented installing on Windows 7 64-bit
  • Fixed a bug where the Keyboard Quick Launch Shortcuts were missing for some users on upgrade
  • Fixed a bug where the X1 Updater would unnecessarily inform the user they were on the most recent version
  • Fixed a major bug where indexing will stop until you restart X1 if you use the keyboard to move between results in the Results Pane
  • Fixed a bug where X1 would crash if you used the Delete key to launch the Delete PSA
  • Improved the installation behavior on 64-bit machines
  • Improved the installer and uninstaller functions
  • Fixed multiple issues associated with the deskbar, including installing, uninstalling, running in Vista, and running on 64-bit OS's
  • Fixed multiple issues associated with improper behavior of the results pane when using the Page Up and Page Down keys
  • Fixed a bug where Results Pane would appear blank until you clicked on a result
  • Fixed a bug where using long names for Saved Searches would cause a crash
  • Preventing indexing of the 64-bit version of Outlook 2010 as it is not currently supported
  • Fixed an issue where PST files created by Outlook 2000 were not visible to X1
  • Fixed an issue where items from Outlook 2010 could not be drag-and-dropped to the desktop
  • Improved the handling of indexing of delegated items that are marked as private
  • Fixed a problem that caused some Outlook emails to be removed from the index
  • Fixed an issue where MSG files added as an attachment were not previewing correctly
  • Fixed a crash when scrolling with a Lenovo scroll button
  • Fixed an issue where the Auto Upgrade dialog was being hidden
  • Fixed an issue where X1 did not properly identify the installed version of .NET
  • Fixed an issue where IMAP message stores were hanging Outlook
  • Fixed an issue where Outlook RTI was being too aggressive in indexing items
  • Fixed numerous issues related to properly indexing ZIP files with CJK characters
  • Fixed numerous issues related to properly indexing ZIP archives attached to an Outlook email
  • Fixed an issue where Excel tabs with CJK characters did not display properly

Unsupported Products/Known Issues:
  • Downgrading from Raptor to 6.2.4 or earlier release requires uninstall without saving index/settings.
  • Korean characters in Excel tab are displayed in broken characters in the preview pane.
  • Add to Zip PSA does not preserve source file location.
  • Delete button does not work when deskbar is undocked.
  • On startup, X1 minimizes to the Taskbar even when told to minimize to system tray.
  • Plaxo - Versions of the Plaxo Toolbar for Outlook earlier than 2.0 may cause instability in Outlook when used with X1. http://www.plaxo.com/
  • IMAP Email Servers - X1 does not support indexing of email messages when using IMAP mailboxes. X1 recommends always storing copies of email messages in a local PST file.
  • Microsoft Outlook with MSN Hotmail - X1 does not support indexing of MSN Hotmail email messages synchronized with Microsoft Outlook. http://www.hotmail.com/
  • iPodSync - Searching Microsoft Outlook contacts is broken when using iPodSync. http://www.ipod-sync.com/
  • Outlook Express - When using X1 to open, forward, or reply to Outlook Express email messages with attachments, the new email message will not contain the attachments.
  • Access - Unable to preview Access Database Formats beyond Version 2.0 or indexing any Access Database formats.
  • Preview of PDF documents with the hidden text property turned on does not preview results.
  • X1 does not automatically detect Outlook mail profile default changes while running. X1 needs to be restarted to establish a connection to the new Outlook email profile.
  • X1 does not fully support multi-monitor environments.
  • X1 must be closed when Symantec Offline Vault is updated.
  • Deployment Manager builds DO NOT support push-to-client searches created in the X1 Enterprise Server.
  • "Forward" post search action does not work properly for Lotus Notes email multi-selection that contains attachments.
  • Performing a "Copy to Folder" PSA on items in a folder with an auto-forward rule causes the rule to be applied again on the items selected.
  • X1 Installer will not start X1 after install in Vista and Windows 7 to prevent conflicts with Outlook.
  • Files RTI is not compatible with Microsoft Vista junction points.
  • 64-bit operating systems are not currently supported.
  • X1 will ignore registry parameters passed from Windows Vista searches for variables such as My Computer, Recycling Bin, Network Locations, Desktop.
  • The F3 command in Windows Vista does not send a query to the default search engine if the cursor is placed in the Windows Explorer search box.
  • X1 will not index Lotus Notes emails that only appear in the "All Documents" view.
  • The "Add to Zip" post search action executes only on items with titles/columns with latin-1 UTF characters.
  • X1 Client upgrades with deskbar enabled in Windows Vista and Windows 7 will prompt a Windows Explorer re-start.
  • Norton 360 on-access firewall and Symantec Endpoint Protection may cause X1 startup problems which result in "Remote Procedure Call Failed".
  • X1 does not support double byte characters in the installation or data directory paths.
  • X1 does not support double byte characters for the Mozilla Thunderbird and Outlook Express mail clients.
  • X1 does not support double byte characters for Lotus Notes passwords.
  • X1 does not support indexing multiple copies of the same Lotus Notes replica database.
  • X1 only supports PST paths and MAPI profiles that contain characters that map to the locale regional settings.
  • A change in locale regional settings requires the user to rename profile names/PST file paths and re-build the X1 index.
  • X1 does not support drag & drop of an email with CJK characters in the subject to Outlook 2003.
  • X1 search highlighting for files has been turned off for queries that contain CJK characters.
  • Outlook 2010 - X1 does not currently support indexing the 64-bit version of Outlook 2010.

Upgrade Considerations:
The following settings will not be preserved upon an upgrade to the X1 Professional Client 6.0 or higher:
  • Changes to the actions toolbar.
  • The "Load X1 at Startup" setting.

Windows 7 and Vista User Access Control (UAC) Considerations:
  • The following actions require administrator authentication:
    • The ability to install X1.
    • Registering the product for all users.
    • Setting shortcut settings for all users.
    • Adding/removing plugins.
    • Running content export.
  • For these actions, an authentication dialog will prompt for a username and password with administrator privileges.

X1 Supported Platforms Guide
X1 Technologies goes out of its way to explicitly test our products with a number of third-party products. Our goal is to test and validate that our products work with those products our customers and partners use most frequently. Just because a particular version of the third-party software is not listed on the supported platforms guide does not mean that the product will not work with X1, just that we do not explicitly test that version of the application.

X1 Server/Client Compatibility Guide
X1 Server v2.0 supports X1 Professional Client versions 2.x
X1 Server v2.5.x supports X1 Professional Client versions 5.x & 6.x

Symantec Vault Supported Platform
Symantec Enterprise Vault v6, v7, v7.5, v8 for Microsoft Exchange
Microsoft Outlook 2003
Professional Client v5.6 or greater

System Requirements - X1 Professional Client
256 MB RAM required / 512 MB RAM recommended
1 GB free hard disk recommended
Note: Actual memory and space used depends on number of files and email messages indexed.

System Requirements - X1 eDiscovery Client
Dual-core processor
1GB RAM required / 2GB RAM recommended
1 GB free hard disk recommended
Note: Actual memory and space used depends on number of files and email messages indexed.

Operating System
Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2 & SP3
Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2 & SP3
Microsoft Windows Vista
Microsoft Windows 7
Microsoft .NET 3.0 and above required.

Email Clients
Lotus Notes & Domino 6.5.x to 8.0.x
Microsoft Outlook XP, 2003 and 2007 & 2007 SP1
Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0
Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5, 2.0
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Re: X1® Professional Client Version 6.7

Postby donfergusonjr » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:13 pm

Hello! I've been using X1 for a very long time. I am using WIndows 7 now, and wondered if 6.7 is the right place to be since the current general release version mentioned elsewhere on the X1 site is almost a year old and doesn't work very well on Windows 7.

Thanks!
Don
donfergusonjr

Postby Kenward » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:12 am

There has been a series of extensive beta tests of the new version of X1 over recent months, with significant input from members of these forums (sic). A lot of us have thrown the new versions of X1 at Windows 7, with generally good experiences.

Quite a few bugs and wrinkles got squished along the way.

But only you can test how the new version works on your system.

So ensure that you have a copy of the original X1 installation files for your old version somewhere safe. (You can log into the support area with your usual details to retrieve earlier versions.)

One word of caution, if you are one of those "bleeding edge" merchants working with beta versions of Microsoft Office, I don't think X1 has done much serious road testing for that. On the other hand, they have beefed up X1's handling of files created in older versions of Outlook.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Kenward » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:16 am

Anyone running the beta versions should find that X1 alerts you to the arrival of this one.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby mikebainbridge » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:02 am

Good Morning Ken - no alert so far.. All 'get update' options clicked including beta..

In fact I had to do a complete re-install last night - I had a beta version 4002 on the machine. I had a problem where the machine would not shut down so I 'pushed the power button' to force a shutdown.. After that I got the dreaded 'cannot load an index' error followed by an X1 exit... I ran scanpst on all psts and every one was damaged. This is worrying as the only programme that accesses them is X1 and I never add / remove / modify them.. So, currently on the road and only 31,000 out of 362,000 indexed <error click to try again> and heading for meetings... Downloaded the new version ( manual check to find a new version worked) and offering up prayer that the <click to try again> error really is fixed.. If I run it overnight in the hotel I might just be able to have enough stuff to work tomorrow !

First impression seems to be that it is quicker to load from the desk bar. Still has the same odd behavior with the task bar. Click on on icon on task bar - X1 appears. click on x1 icon a second time x1 closes and must be re-invoked from the deskbar.. Am I missing something ? This doesn't seem like 'normal' windows behavior.

Other oddness - Currently indexing wildly according to Hard Disk Activity. Counter stuck at 0.12% (RHS X1 status bar) counter LHS status bar incrementing( watched it go from 30 to 34,000.. with no change on percentage. Found that I had indexed enough to find my license registration and entered it. X1 restarted 'to enable new features' but % indexed now 51.89% with same number on LHS...

GTG and get on plane now...wish me luck !
Hardware: Macbook Pro 2.6 Ghz Intel Core i7 - 8Gb 1600 DDR3
Host OSX: 10.9.2
Running Parallels 9.0.24172 4 CPUS 3Gb RAM 1024Mb Video Memory
Windows 7 64 bit 6.1.7100 Build 7100
FS: NTFS
Software: Outlook 2010 14.0.7116.5000 32Bit
X1 8.2 5001 dv
mikebainbridge
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby mikebainbridge » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:06 am

Before I go - I think I have found something... If you invoke the 'select folders to scan' in options / email / outlook. This stops the indexing.. On exit the percentage no longer increments even though the indexing is restored..
mikebainbridge
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Kenward » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:11 am

mikebainbridge wrote:Before I go - I think I have found something... If you invoke the 'select folders to scan' in options / email / outlook. This stops the indexing.. On exit the percentage no longer increments even though the indexing is restored..

Just tried this.

No problem that I could see. Resumed indexing immediately. But it started at 0% again rather than picking up the old count.

But that is an artefact, as discussed elsewhere.

No one from X1 to tell me that I am talking rubbish, so I assume that my guess is correct.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby tjh » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:35 pm

I must say I am really impressed with the speed of the Real-Time Indexing now. I can basically use X1 as my email client now, which is really nice.

Outlook is just living in the background now!

Tim
TiM
X1 Search v8.5.1 - 6001se (64 Bit)
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby mikebainbridge » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:09 pm

Just an update - this new version seems to be working otherwise very well.. Left it running overnight and I'm up to 262,000 emails indexed and no <error - click to continue > messages. Onwards to the day job...

Mike
mikebainbridge
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby davidhicks » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:17 pm

X1 threw an exception when I did the Aero shake in Windows 7 64-bit. More specifically, I was doing the repeat Aero shake to bring all my windows back to visible again. I didn't even mean to do the shake in the first place--it was by accident. I thought I had disabled this annoying feature but apparently I haven't done so successfully. This error happened around 8 pm Eastern time. Maybe the error was logged to your system automatically.

I'll try to get more details if it happens again. I had just installed X1 ® Professional Client Version 6.7
(Build 4023) (Created: Thu Feb 11 16:05:56 PST 2010) around an hour and a half before this happened.

Version: 6.01.7600
Memory: 63% Load, 2484MB/3930MB Physical, 406MB/2097MB Virtual
Screen Size: 1680 x 1050
davidhicks

Postby Tod » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:03 am

mikebainbridge wrote: Still has the same odd behavior with the task bar. Click on on icon on task bar - X1 appears. click on x1 icon a second time x1 closes and must be re-invoked from the deskbar.. Am I missing something ? This doesn't seem like 'normal' windows behavior.

Mike,
I think you are experiencing the combination of two (or three) settings. Ensure X1 is showing up in your system tray (this can be activated from Tools:Options:Basic Options). Right-click on the icon in the system tray and uncheck "Minimize X1 to the system tray." Now you should see that when you click on X1 in the taskbar when X1 is maximized, it just minimizes to the taskbar and not all the way to the system tray.
Tod
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby mvinarcik » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:32 pm

It still doesn't respect my choice to not install the Outlook plugin. It caused a few errors when I launched Outlook until I went in and disabled it.
mvinarcik

Postby noel » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:50 pm

Still has the same odd behavior with the task bar. Click on on icon on task bar - X1 appears. click on x1 icon a second time x1 closes and must be re-invoked from the deskbar.. Am I missing something ? This doesn't seem like 'normal' windows behavior.

Mike,
I think you are experiencing the combination of two (or three) settings. Ensure X1 is showing up in your system tray (this can be activated from Tools:Options:Basic Options). Right-click on the icon in the system tray and uncheck "Minimize X1 to the system tray." Now you should see that when you click on X1 in the taskbar when X1 is maximized, it just minimizes to the taskbar and not all the way to the system tray.

The issue here is that the "Pin this program to Taskbar" feature of Windows 7 conflicts with X1's "minimize to system tray" option. These types of problems may happen if you have both options turned on. For now, please have 1 of the options turned on.
Noel Ferreria
noel
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:48 am

mvinarcik wrote:It still doesn't respect my choice to not install the Outlook plugin. It caused a few errors when I launched Outlook until I went in and disabled it.

I noticed that I did get the option to install the Outlook extra when I ran install fro0m the Windows Control Panel in Change mode, "Modify".
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby mprachar » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:19 pm

Hello,

Is there another beta in the works? I was using the RC2 and it was playing nicely with OL 2010 on win 7 (both 32bit) but this release version won't stay working for me. I start getting "error loading index" whenever I try to use X1 after a couple of days. Full uninstall/reinstall doesn't fix it.

I know OL 2010 is beta itself; I figured you would be working on interop with it by now...

Thanks!
Michael P Prachar
mprachar

Postby Kenward » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:13 am

Does anyone else see problems with 6.7 and Outlook 2010?

If the beta version of 6.7 worked with Office 2010, then there isn't much incentive for X1 to fix what isn't broken for m ost people.

I would concentrate on fixing what isn't working with the current version.

See if you can track down anything here about the "error loading index" thing.

I can't see much.

In any case, has Microsoft messed around with PST formats yet again? If not, then there isn't much to tweak with X1. It mostly uses just the PST files. Sure, it has to grab your Mail Profiles, but you have already had success on that front.

One thing you could do would be to sever any other connections between X1 and Outlook.

To my mind, X1 misbehaves on installation by installing Outlook helpers by default. You need to go down the custom route to have proper control over that.

You could try to remove the X1 Toobar for Microsoft Outlook. Although how that would deliver the error you see isn't clear to me.

There are, by the way, various wrinkles on the "Full uninstall/reinstall" thing. A really thorough cleansing takes a bit of effort. You should be able to find some helpful stuff in the KnowledgeBase.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby mprachar » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:33 pm

Kenward wrote:Does anyone else see problems with 6.7 and Outlook 2010?

If the beta version of 6.7 worked with Office 2010, then there isn't much incentive for X1 to fix what isn't broken for m ost people.

I would concentrate on fixing what isn't working with the current version.

See if you can track down anything here about the "error loading index" thing.

I can't see much.

In any case, has Microsoft messed around with PST formats yet again? If not, then there isn't much to tweak with X1. It mostly uses just the PST files. Sure, it has to grab your Mail Profiles, but you have already had success on that front.

One thing you could do would be to sever any other connections between X1 and Outlook.

To my mind, X1 misbehaves on installation by installing Outlook helpers by default. You need to go down the custom route to have proper control over that.

You could try to remove the X1 Toobar for Microsoft Outlook. Although how that would deliver the error you see isn't clear to me.

There are, by the way, various wrinkles on the "Full uninstall/reinstall" thing. A really thorough cleansing takes a bit of effort. You should be able to find some helpful stuff in the KnowledgeBase.

My "full uninstall" is the link X1sent me a few months back. It includes deleting a bunch of directories and reg entires that X1 hasn't used in years... I think its a pretty comprehensive list.

So if I give it another shot, what would you recommend I disable besides the X1 toolbar in OL (which is so buried now it's virtually useless anyway...)
Michael P Prachar
mprachar

Postby itvinci » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:35 pm

Hey everyone. I am putting up a post that I have submitted in the various releases of Raptor leading up to 6.7. I have a licensed copy of 6.7 installed and I am experiencing the same behavior.

I know a lot of people who read this post are thinking that something is strange in my environment, but the most important thing to remember is that X1 is the ONLY application that is behaving in this manner.

When I remote desktop into my laptop, the X1 screens are invisible except for the preview pane. The left-hand side of the main X1 interface is completely transparent. It is actually there, if I randomly click around, the data in the preview pane will change. In addition to this, the options screen is completely transparent as well.

I am certain it is not a remote desktop setting issue as none of my other applications are doing this. It has to be related with how X1 is coded, and why would the preview pane display??

I have mentioned this before, but I will mention it again. I get the exact same results connecting from 4 different computers. Win 7 and WinXP machines.

I have been putting up with this for more than a month now and it is a serious drag. In order to use X1, I have to be sitting at my laptop!!!

Here is a screenshot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris.
itvinci

Postby AndySprogis » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:41 am

Regarding X1 and indexing .pst files, when you add a .pst file to be indexed, it appears as an X1 profile along with an 8 digit hexadecimal identifier. Can anyone explain what this hex ID is and how it is generated? Is it an X1 ID or OutlooK? Is the number of .pst files that can be added limited by this hex ID? It seems that once you reach a hex ID beginning FF... X1 stops being able to add any more .pst files.
AndySprogis

Postby Tod » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:29 am

How many PST files are you trying to add to X1? What specific error or behavior do you see when trying to add PSTs after you reach a limit?

When adding a PST file directly within X1, X1 needs to create an Outlook profile in order to have a means of referencing that PST again in the future. There is a limit to the number of profiles that can be created and also to the total size (in GB) that Outlook and X1 can effectively handle in terms of available system memory. This limit varies on the content of the PSTs but typically starts to crop up by 50 PST files.

One trick you can use to limit the number of profiles is to load your smaller PST files directly within Outlook. Then use the ability for X1 to directly mount PST files for just the larger PSTs
Tod
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Kenward » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:32 am

AndySprogis wrote:Regarding X1 and indexing .pst files, when you add a .pst file to be indexed, it appears as an X1 profile along with an 8 digit hexadecimal identifier.

X1 seems to like to build its own profiles if you add a PST that is not already attached to a mail profile.

I find this distracting, mostly because I like to know what is going on.

So I don't add any PSTs "manually". I create a separate mail profile, I call it "Archive", and attach to that all of the PST files that I want indexed, but do not want in my main mail profile.

You can set up such a profile without creating any associated email accounts.

When you open X1, it will see the Archive profile and you can work with that to select which PST files and folders within them to index.

This is not an official X1 strategy, but I read about it here first, some years ago. At one stage it was a way to get X1 to index more PST files, before they made this process easier within the program itself. But, as you have found, it can be confusing.

Maybe someone from X1 will tell me that I am doing something dangerous, but it seems to work.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby AndySprogis » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:02 am

Tod wrote:How many PST files are you trying to add to X1? What specific error or behavior do you see when trying to add PSTs after you reach a limit?

When adding a PST file directly within X1, X1 needs to create an Outlook profile in order to have a means of referencing that PST again in the future. There is a limit to the number of profiles that can be created and also to the total size (in GB) that Outlook and X1 can effectively handle in terms of available system memory. This limit varies on the content of the PSTs but typically starts to crop up by 50 PST files.

One trick you can use to limit the number of profiles is to load your smaller PST files directly within Outlook. Then use the ability for X1 to directly mount PST files for just the larger PSTs

Hi Tod,
Sorry it's taken so long to respond. I had an original requirement to index something like 750 .pst files (about 350Gig in total) but noticed that after adding about 100 .pst files, X1 hung. OnceI recovered it, I found X1 and/or Outlook couldn't add any more and this was when I noted that this Hex identifier had hit FF......
However, since then the requirement has diminished and also the new release of X1 has appeared which, I noticed, is claimed to index more data. Does this include more .pst files? If not, and the requirement reappears, my plan B would be to license 6 or 7 more PCs with X1 and divide the .pst files between them.
AndySprogis

Postby Kenward » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:27 am

There is an alternative way to add PST files to X1 without allowing it to create its own profiles. I have no idea if it will handle such a bafflingly large array of PSTs, or even if it is "officially" recognised.

What you do is to create a mail profile – no need to add any email accounts – and then associate that with the PST files. For example, I have an "Archive" profile with about half a dozen PST files attached. X1 detects the Profile and indexes it accordingly.

It works fine with half a dozen data files, but maybe not with hundreds. It might also be quite an effort to create such a profile.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Tod » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:04 am

Andy,

X1 can index more data, but the limitation on the number of maximum PST files has not changed. This is largely dictated by the memory footprint that Outlook demands for a PST and the maximum number of PSTs that Outlook can reference at one time. You might be able to use the trick Kenward mentions where you create multiple profiles and attach a few dozen PSTs to each profile. However, when talking about 750 PST files, your "Plan B" of indexing them across multiple different installs of the X1 client is a more feasible solution, just based on the large volume of data. You might consider contacting X1 Sales - we do have a server-based product that is able to handle that volume of data and has more eDiscovery related features.
Tod
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Kenward » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:07 pm

Glad to see that my "trick", actually stolen from someone else here, isn't that crazy. But to be honest, the idea of storing that many PSTs strikes me as poor data management.

Then again, 350Gig is a hefty burden. 20 times my own stash.

But you have an average PST size of <0.5GB. This is a fraction of what Outlook can accommodate. My biggest PST file is 5.39GB which X1 handles easily.

35 10GB PSTs might work better.

Of course, I know nothing about your work practices and would not presume to lay down the law on how to store things. But if you cannot find an easy way to get X1, or something else, to digest that data I would look at adapting my work practices to give me access to the tools that might achieve what I want.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Chuck1j » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:47 pm

X1 ® Professional Client Version 6.7.2
(Build 4054by) (Created: Mon Sep 13 17:50:40 PDT 2010)

I have been reading about Outlook RTI problems dating back to last year, why are there still problems with it. I also don't see any progress in the new beta or release candidate. When can we expect a permanent fix, besides turning off the add-in.
Chuck1j

Return to X1 Professional Client - 6.7.x (Raptor)