X1 v6.7.1 Release Candidate Build 4054ak stops indexing

X1® Professional Client Version - Raptor builds (both Beta and Release Candidates)

Moderator: Mods

X1 v6.7.1 Release Candidate Build 4054ak stops indexing

Postby askwong » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:31 am

X1 v6.7.1 Release Candidate (Build 4054ak dated 6/21/10) with Windows 7 Pro English (32-bit).

Been using this version for 1 week, seems stable, but today X1 suddenly both File Indexing and Email indexing stopped functioning this afternoon since 1pm local time (it was working in the morning)...

X1 now says, "File Compressing", and since 1pm there is no more Real Time Indexing of files, no email indexing of my Thunderbird emails...

It was working as of this morning, just went away from machine for lunch, so not sure what triggered this X1 version to stop indexing...
askwong
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Re: X1 v6.7.1 Release Candidate Build 4054ak stops indexing

Postby askwong » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:32 pm

This stop indexing problem just happened to me again this morning, may I update X1 staff on what has been done:

June 29th morning: 1st instance of this error.
======================================
Upon closer inspection, X1 program says, "File could not be indexed", and on status bar, there was "File Optimizing Index" but no major hard disk activity even after a few hours.

As I could not wait, had to do real office work using X1, yesterday June 29th afternoon I've had to Clear Index and restart the (painful) Initial Indexing procedure all over again.
This went well, everything apparently went back to normal on June 29th afternon. Specifically, File Real Time Indexing (RTI) was working.

I put my notebook computer to Sleep when I got off work.

June 30th morning: 1st instance of this error.
======================================
The exact same thing happened, "File could not be indexed", and on status bar, there was "File Optimizing Index" but no major hard disk activity even after a few hours.
Again, I've had to Clear Index and restart the Initial Indexing procedure.

==>Would X1 wish me to submit X1 error or status files if/when I encounter this error the next time? What files, email to whom in X1 ?
askwong
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby askwong » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:38 pm

I hope X1 staff can help to comment on this error, if v6.7.1 repeatedly crashes and cannot index my files on English Win7, it is rather difficult to purchase this product!

1) I've since upgraded to X1 ® Professional Client Version 6.7.1 (Build 4054ar) (Created: Wed Jun 30 14:28:40 PDT 2010),
~same problem as described in previous post (cannot finish indexing)
~New problem, program crashes, cannot even manually restart X1 anymore.

Again, it is rather difficult to justify purchasing a newer version of X1 if it continually crashes, cannot index files !

Can anyone at X1 please help to contact to further discuss, many thanks!
I can supply error files, etc. to help resolve this issue.
Last edited by askwong on Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
askwong
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Greg Dawes » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:59 pm

FYI - I've contacted askwong, outside of the X1 Forums, to help troubleshoot this issue.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby askwong » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:35 am

Problem solved.
Thank you Greg / X1 !
askwong
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby jaschwa1969 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:15 am

How was the problem solved? X1 regularly goes into an endless "Optimizing Index" routine, and I find myself rebuilding the index from scratch every couple of weeks. This is a persistent and terribly bothersome problem with this software. BTW, I am running build 4054ar.
jaschwa1969

Postby askwong » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:53 pm

When X1 is constantly "Optimizing Index", sometimes X1 does not seem to do anything, no RTI (Real Time Indexing), no updates... which can be disconcerting.

But I find that if I leave X1 alone while "Optimizing Index", X1 eventually resumes back to normal indexing afterwards... everything eventually gets back normal.

I also had set my Win7 to shutdown too quickly, before X1 could save its program settings (I used a 3rd party program to modify how quickly Win7 shuts down, apparently I had set it too short a period).

Hope this works for you!
askwong
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby chkl » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:15 pm

I am not sure what the previous person's issue was, but I installed 6.7.1.4054ar last week and have not been able to finish builinfg my index yet. I have approximately 30,000 emails to index and X1 works along fine for a few hours at a time, but then stops or refuses to restart indexing when I reboot my machine. It happily reports that it has completed 100% of its indexing activities and then goes to its standard "last indexed" prompt. The trouble is that it clearly does not have all of the emails from my various folders. Some are empty completely. Even my inbox is not completely indexed.

I have had success getting it restarted by repeatedly stopping Outlook indexing (even though it is not doing anything) and then "restarting" it. It does not work on the first try, so I have to play with settings like opening up the dialog where you select folders. Even though I am not changing anything, it appears that I am tricking the software into thinking that something has changed and that convinces it to start the indexing over again.

I am running Outlook 2007 with an exchange server, and cached favorite public folders. I am running 64 bit Windows 7 and have little to index beyond email. My mailbox is around 500 Megs, but the public folders are about 5 Gigs. I have been using X1 for years with much more data, but I had to upgrade when I switched to Windows 7. This version seems to index incredibly slowly and of course is struggling to finish the process. Any help you might offer would be greatly appreciated!
chkl

Postby csalsa » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:19 pm

I also noticed the same issue my my instance with X1. I cleared a very large index to experiment with a separate issue and noticed that the re-indexing would occasionally stop overnight. I use the lowest priority level for indexing and so I expect indexing to largely to take place overnight.

In the morning, I would manually restart the file indexing (I make much less use of the email index over the file index) and it would start from 0%. To speed re-indexing, I would raise the priority level of indexing to 'most aggressive'.

I never tried to experiment with this issue as it was important to me to have the file index rebuilt quickly (and it takes days). I did not want to keep clearing the index to try to understand the behavior. It is annoying but eventually the index gets rebuilt. I do not often reboot my computer and so I did not observe what chkl saw that the indexing did not automatically start after a computer reboot.
csalsa
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:31 am

csalsa wrote:In the morning, I would manually restart the file indexing (I make much less use of the email index over the file index) and it would start from 0%.

This does not mean that X1 has started indexing from scratch. What it means is that it has done 0% of the current indexing session.

In other words, X1 may have already indexed 99% of your files, and it is just 0% of the way through the remaining 1%.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby csalsa » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:32 pm

Thanks Kenward for clarifying the indexer progress percentage indicator. Appreciated.
csalsa
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Return to X1 Professional Client - 6.7.x (Raptor)