PDF preview working incorrectly

X1® Professional Client Version - Raptor builds (both Beta and Release Candidates)

Moderator: Mods

Postby james » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:56 pm

Hi,

I am evaluating X1 for use in my company. I have tested a few desktop search engines and this one seems to be the best so far. However, there is 1 glaring flaw. My primary purpose of using X1 is to search through thousands of PDF files. To speed up this process, a preview is needed so that users will not have to waste time opening the file in its native environment. Currently, the latest version I downloaded is displaying the text misaligned and out of place, and the text is not in the same font/font size as the original PDF document.

This is a major deterrence in my consideration to use X1 for my company. Is there anything that can be done about this? I can upload the PDF file i'm using if needed for testing purposes.
james

Re: PDF preview working incorrectly

Postby Kenward » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:51 am

If you see this behaviour with all, or many, PDF files, then I would look at something like the state of your video/graphics drivers.

I have over 100,000 PDF files, 99 per cent show fine. The odd ones tend to be from strange sources.

Look at this one:

It is a pretty good representation of what I usually see. Actually, the on-monitor view is better than this.

If you don't get that clarity, then I would investigate further. For example, have you tried X1 on a different PC?
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby james » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:40 pm

I haven't tried X1 on a different PC. I really don't think this problem is due to the driver. Its probably due to the source of the PDF's not being Adobe, instead they were created by a software which overlays text from a .txt file onto a .jpg file and createds a PDF representation of that. These are 2 screenshots of the alignment problem I'm experiencing:

I have many more examples of these PDFs where the text on the right hand side is aligned too far to the left, as if the text spacing is insufficient. The text in the original PDF document is in the Courier font, different from the preview. This doesn't matter however as long as the text is in its proper position.
james

Postby Kenward » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:46 am

I have many PDF files that have been nowhere near Acrobat. Especially scanned stuff that has been through an OCR machine. (PaperPort and OmniPage.) And things like Word files that I have 'PDFd' through PaperPort. They mostly display OK, but there can be occasional problems with the text/image stacking. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find one that doesn't work.

By the way, the display rendering is beyond X1's control. They buy in this bit from Oracle. It bought up Stellent, which provides viewing add ons for a lot of the software industry.

"Outside In ® Viewer and Content Access Technology © 1991-2010 Oracle All Rights Reserved."

Unfortunately, users of X1 and other stuff find that viewer development is slow and does not keep up with experience. We haven't for example, seen a new version of QuickView Plus, the standalone consumer package, for Windows 7, especially those seeking 64-bit operation.

It leads you to wonder if Oracle bought the thing and lost interest.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby xthamcore » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:26 am

X1 preview opens the first item on the list of found documents.
When this is a .pdf file X1 seems to block/stall on it.
Problem is that I cannot move to the next file because X1 is blocked.
If I wait for a really long time, leaving X1 by itself and going on with my work, it is unblocked as long as I do not click on a .pdf file to preview, because then it blocks again (these pdf files are handouts made with powerpoint and then turned into a pdf file)
xthamcore

Postby Kenward » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:50 am

xthamcore wrote:X1 preview opens the first item on the list of found documents.
When this is a .pdf file X1 seems to block/stall on it.
Problem is that I cannot move to the next file because X1 is blocked.
If I wait for a really long time, leaving X1 by itself and going on with my work, it is unblocked as long as I do not click on a .pdf file to preview, because then it blocks again (these pdf files are handouts made with powerpoint and then turned into a pdf file)

As you have added this question to three different discussions, I suggest that you read them first and then tell people what you have tried that doesn't work.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby xthamcore » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:08 am

This problem is still not resolved: when particular pdf files end up on the top of the list or when I click on them, X1 blocks, stalls completely with a fast blinking hourglass. The only solution then is to kill X1 via Windows Task Manager, or to put the hourglass above another type of file and keep clicking very fast, to escape from the file that causes the trouble.

In a lost moment I checked a few things out.
- all my pdf files are made with PrimoPdf.
- it does not happen with all pdf files????
- it only happens with pdf files of Powerpoint handouts. but not when they are made before 2009
- using Adobe reader or Foxitpdf reader does not make a difference.

Maybe I should use another pdf maker, other than adabe or primopdf. A suggestion?
After I wrote this, I installed my old adobe acrobat 4.0 made the same handout with Adobe PdfWriter and... no problem.
However this is not the solution, because the same file takes 7.339 kB in Adobe and only 1.143 in other pdf makers.

Hence the problem is with the viewer of the later versions of pdf makers.

What pdf-maker do you advise?
xthamcore

Postby Kenward » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:51 am

There are now many free pdf printers out there to choose from.

If you are particularly interested in PowerPoint handouts, recent versions of the software need no extra software. They can cook up their own PDF files.

For free PDF writers, a lot of people like CutePDF. But there are plenty of others out there.

You seem to have done a good job of pinning down the source of your problem. A few quick experiments should tell you which PDF printer is up to the job.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to X1 Professional Client - 6.7.x (Raptor)