X1® Professional Client v6.7.2 Beta 1

X1® Professional Client Version - Raptor builds (both Beta and Release Candidates)

Moderator: Mods

Postby Greg Dawes » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:16 pm

(Build 4054bi)

NOTE: Installing this build requires that .NET 3.0 or higher be installed on your computer. Here is the link to the latest .NET 3.5 SP1:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

You can download the X1 Professional Client v6.7.2 Beta 1 by using this link: http://www.x1.com/cs/x1_pro_client_dotNet_4054bi.exe

**Important Considerations**
- KNOWN DOWNGRADE ISSUE: Downgrading from X1 Professional Client v6.7.x to 6.2.x (or lower), while saving settings, will cause issues in the X1 index that prevent the application from launching. If you plan to downgrade from X1 Professional Client v6.7.x, uninstall the X1 client WITHOUT saving preferences/settings.
- Remember that we always advise that you uninstall any currently installed version of X1, without saving your preferences/settings, before installing any beta/RC build
- Please restrict all comments regarding this release to this section of the forum
- Any user upgrading from 5.5.5 or previous will be required to rebuild their index files.

-----------------------------------------------------

Bug Fixes
- Fixed an issue where X1 launched minimized to the Taskbar
- Improved X1FileMonitor memory usage
- Improved the responsiveness of X1 to mouse clicks in both the Taskbar and the list pane
- Fixed a crash when executing certain PSA's (Post Search Actions)
- Fixed a bug that occasionally caused the X1 UI (user interface) to restore in a “shrunken” state
- Fixed a bug in which it was not possible to maximize X1 if minimized to the Taskbar while the Lotus Notes indexing scanner was active

We appreciate any feedback that you can provide!
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Re: X1® Professional Client v6.7.2 Beta 1

Postby Kenward » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:15 am

First bit of feedback, "Check for Updates" did not find this release, despite being told to check for "press-release (beta)" versions.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Greg Dawes » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:22 am

Kenward wrote:First bit of feedback, "Check for Updates" did not find this release, despite being told to check for "press-release (beta)" versions.
Kenward,

We haven't yet made this version available via the auto-update mechanism and it is currently only available in this forum. We do appreciate the feedback.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby csalsa » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:14 am

On installing v6.7.2 Beta 1 from version 6.7.1 (Build 4054ar), I found that a very small number of files do not display in the Preview pane. Instead of the file preview, I get the line 'Error' in red followed by a second line 'Unknown error' in black.

The files that have had problems are MS-Word files (both 2003 and 2007 format). I have not seen this problem with other file formats.

My file index since started updating from scratch. Coincidentally, I had earlier this day manually refreshed the file index and so it should have been up to date.

However, after completing the file index update, I still have the same error on the same small number of files. Even after I closed X1 and restarted it. On these files, I can right-click on the file in the Search pane and open it. The files open correctly.

I think that I did not have this problem with v6.7.1 - but I cannot be 100% certain.
csalsa
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby csalsa » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:15 pm

I decided to clear and then rebuild my indexes. Soon after the rebuild started, X1 crashed as follows (from the crash.log file). So far, it has only happened once but I expect it will take the rest of the day to rebuild the index.

Version: 4054bi Date: 8/18/2010 8:06:11 AM
X1UI: 00401000
X1Lib: 1F001000
External component has thrown an exception.
Exception Address: 1F06EF69
Stack: 1F06EF64 1F06EF7C 1F07FDF1 1F1A840F 1F148ACC 1F148D60 1F164FF5 1F12E2E8
User Email:
User description:

UI Stack Trace:
at X1UI.ToLogic.LogicMethodNoArgs(Int32 id)
at X1UI.ListPane.DoResize(Int32 newHeight, Boolean force)
at X1UI.ResultsPane.HandleListPaneSizeChanged(Double height)
at X1UI.ResultsPane.HandleListPaneSizeChanged(Object sender, SizeChangedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.SizeChangedEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.OnRenderSizeChanged(SizeChangedInfo sizeInfo)
at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.fireSizeChangedEvents()
at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.UpdateLayout()
at System.Windows.UIElement.UpdateLayout()
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.Process_WM_SIZE(UIElement rootUIElement, IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.LayoutFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
---End description
-------- Specs --------
Windows XP Professional Service Pack: SP3
Intel Pentium III 0MHz
53 processes active
Virtual Memory: 1426M Free / 2048M Total
Physical Memory: 2019M Free / 2048M Total
Data drive: 65230M Free / 81423M Total
Outlook Version: 12.0.6535.5005
MAPI DLL: mapi32.dll (actual: OLMAPI32.DLL); Version: 12.0.6535.5005
-------- INI File --------
INI file information is suppressed

csalsa
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby csalsa » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:04 am

Whilst rebuilding my index, after some 140,000 files, I have been experimenting to see if I still get the error as before, that is, on selecting specific documents in the 'Results' pane, they do not show in the 'Preview' pane but instead display an error of first line 'Error' in red followed by a second line 'Unknown error' in black.

It still is happening for files of MS-Word .docx and .doc formats. Rebuilding the index has not fixed this problem. The file exists and is valid as I can right-click on the file in the 'Results' pane and 'open' it. The file opens normally in MS-Word 2007 SP2 (fully patched).

I have not been able to work out if the details to this error are logged. Please advise how I can discover more detail of this error so I can report it.
csalsa
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:11 am

csalsa wrote:in the 'Results' pane, they do not show in the 'Preview' pane but instead display an error of first line 'Error' in red followed by a second line 'Unknown error' in black.

The viewers in X1 are third party software, written by a division of Oracle. It may be that the viewers don't like these files even though Word is happy as well as X1's indexer.

There are other examples of this sort of behaviour. Microsoft's Outlook, for example, can happily work with PST files that upset other software.

One way to test this might be to open the file in question and to save as new and see if X1 can handle that. You may need to edit it a bit to persuade Word that it has changed enough to warrant saving afresh.

The interesting thing is that X1 indexes it. I regularly see broken PDF files that X1 will not index. (You can check this by adding the Status column to X1 and including a column with "-OK" to show only dodgy files.) These naturally do not display, nor can Adobe's stuff open them.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby csalsa » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:18 am

Hi Kenward

Thanks for your post.
The interesting thing is that X1 indexes it.
I do not find this so strange as indexing is much different to viewing. Indexing only requires text extraction and this would be of much lower complexity than that used by 'viewing' libraries.

I am guessing, but indexing could be done by either using Windows IFilters or Oracle Outside In Technology but viewing is requires specialized libraries, possibly, 'Outside In Viewer Technology'.
csalsa
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:27 am

You have just repeated what I said.

How about trying what I suggested?
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby csalsa » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:23 am

Hi Kenward

You are right. My last post did not add anything new. As to trying what you suggested, what you did not know is that I needed to wait until I returned to my work place to try your suggestion.

This morning, I tried to replicate the problem that I previously described, however, it is strange that I cannot replicate it. When I first attempted to replicate the problem, I went through the same files (that I kept note of) that had caused me the viewing problems yesterday. Only one file (MS-Word 2003 format) still produced the 'Unknown Error'. I copied the file from the network to my local drive and waited for it to be indexed by X1. Then I was going to save it various ways to experiment with your suggestion.

However, now that same file from this morning views as it should in the Preview window. The original file that was copied from the network now displays correctly from its original location on the network. I have tried the last 10mins trying to find a file that will produce the error. So far, no problem.

This makes me think somehow that the error is related to the environment. I wish I could see the underlying error to give some indication to the cause of the problem. For example, three of the highly used network drives are 7.5 , 4.0 & 2.0 terabytes and could the problem be related to time-outs due to the loading of networked drives. In addition, my file index is still only 25% completed and the problem may be related to the size of the index (which is rather large after indexing my selected directories). Also, this problem could be related to a combination of states that changed from yesterday.

I will continue to experiment and if I learn anything else I will post again. I never got the chance to show the file would not view, update it as a separate file, and then show the original file has the problem and the updated file does not.
csalsa
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:49 am

Wonderful devices these computers.

Never do things wrong when you want them to!

I didn't realise that there were networks involved in this. But I can't see how that would matter, unless your analysis is correct.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Trajan » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:04 am

For some reason, the "about" of this beta shows 6.7.1, not 6.7.2, but it does show the right "build" (4054bi).

Trajan
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby BigMike0596 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:18 pm

Does this beta release support Outlook 2010 64bit?
BigMike0596

Postby Chris Wheaton » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:50 pm

BigMike,

No it does not support Outlook2010 in 64 bit mode.

I can tell you that just because you have a 64bit processor or use a 64 bit version of Windows is not in and of itself a compelling reason to use Outlook2010 in 64 bit mode.

You may be surprised to learn that by default Office 2010 installs in 32 bit mode on both 32 and 64 bit versions of the Windows Operating system.

Microsoft is not really pushing us as consumers to move to the 64 bit product just yet, and there is really no need to as discussed here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... upportedOS

Published: May 12, 2010

For example, this additional capacity [64bit support in Office] is needed only by those Microsoft Excel users who require Excel spreadsheets that are larger than 2 gigabytes (GB). The 32-bit version of Office 2010 provides the same functionality and is also compatible with 32-bit add-ins. Therefore, the 32-bit version of Office 2010 is installed by default.

The recommendations for which edition of Office 2010 to install are as follows:

If users in your organization depend on existing extensions to Office, such as ActiveX controls, third-party add-ins [X1 does install an Outlook toolbar], in-house solutions built on previous versions of Office, or 32-bit versions of programs that interface directly with Office [X1 is just such a 32 bit application], we recommend that you install 32-bit Office 2010 (the default installation) on computers that are running both 32-bit and 64-bit supported Windows operating systems.

If this is not an outright surprise, it is certainly food for thought, And, by re-installing to 32bit mode you would once again have X1 to use.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Kenward » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:28 am

Here is a link to another Microsoft article on why 32-bit Office is the preferred option:

Choose the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Microsoft Office

This question arises all over the place. People seem to be dead set on going down the 64-bit route despite Microsoft's advice.

If the need for X1 isn't enough to persuade folks to stick with 32-bit Office, perhaps the loss of any add ons, included most from Microsoft, will help to persuade them.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby tjh » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:13 pm

Dear X1,

Is anything being done about the display of fonts in 6.7.x versions of X1? It must only be under Windows XP that they look really bad. I won't say terrible, because they're not, they're bearable. But they really are not very easy on the eyes. I can take a screenshot if you like, but just installing X1 on an XP machine should show you what I mean.

Cheers,
Tim
TiM
X1 Search v8.5.1 - 6001se (64 Bit)
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby tjh » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:01 pm

Bug Report:

If I click on "reply" in an email in X1, but then close it without having edited it at all, I still get the Outlook box saying "do you want to save changes?"

Expected behaviour: Same as Outlook 2003. If I click Reply, but then close the reply window without having done anything, it just closes, I am not given a confirmation box.

edit: Sorry, changed to reflect the fact I'm using Outlook 2003, not Outlook 2007!
TiM
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby tjh » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:49 pm

The Interface "feels" quite a bit faster to me from v6.2.4. I'm quite impressed with the speed of searching for emails, it certainly seems to be better than the good ol' non-dotNet version.

However, I don't like (and don't see the reason required) for the menus to fade in and out. For example, when I right click on a email in the search results, the menu that comes up sometimes "stalls" in a 50% (guess) transparent frame for a second or two, before displaying properly. Keep in mind I'm on an XP system here, so these sorts of "fancy" things don't work so well and kinda stand out.

I'm sure they fit in well with Aero etc on Vista+. It just seems X1 doesn't obey the settings of the underlying OS for fonts/transparency (though does XP even have a setting for transparency?)

But overall, very please with my day's trial. I don't think I'll be going back to v6.2.4
TiM
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby tjh » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:21 pm

Bug Report:

X1 takes ~2 minutes to start on my PC.

I thought it was the virus software, but it's not (I've nuked it from space!)

When I start X1 a second time after a reboot, it will take upwards of a minute to load. Nothing appears wrong, it just takes ages.

I'm wondering, could it because my PC doesn't have Internet access (except through the corp proxy)?

Any suggestions for how to debug?
TiM
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:45 am

I think the answer to your question is .NET.

Anything that uses this Microsoft thing seems to load like treacle.

There are exactly the same complaints of lethargy over on the Mailwasher group.

What happens when you start X1, or anything else .NET, is that a whole raft of stuff loads itself into memory. Rumour has it that once all that stuff is loaded, subsequent operations are much quicker.

I don't think there is anything you can do about it. Apart from getting an even flashier PC with more go-fast stripes down the side.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby tjh » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:48 pm

UI Issue:

When right clicking on an email address in the Preview Pane, I am given 3 options. They're handy and I like this feature. However, it doesn't work if you click on the person's name (to the left of the email address) - you have to specifically click on the email address. This is non-intuitive.

Tim

PS: Are you reading these X1 or should I be writing up a large email and logging a "bug report" :)
TiM
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:42 am

Not sure that I agree with that. At least you can use the email address to invoke email, you just have to navigate.

I say this because of another slight annoyance on the same front. If you select a section of the address, you do not have all of the "Right click" options there that I like to use. That option is there in the body of a message.

For example, I cannot "copy" from that section. But "Ctrl+C" works. So the thing works.

If X1 could allow both copying and linking in that section, great.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to X1 Professional Client - 6.7.x (Raptor)