X1 ® Professional Client Version 6.7.2 Release Candidate 1

X1® Professional Client Version - Raptor builds (both Beta and Release Candidates)

Moderator: Mods

X1 ® Professional Client Version 6.7.2 Release Candidate 1

Postby Greg Dawes » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:14 pm

X1® Professional Client v6.7.2 Release Candidate 1
(Build 4054bu) (Created: Mon Sep 13 17:50:40 PDT 2010)

NOTE: Installing this build requires that .NET 3.0 or higher be installed on your computer. Here is the link to the latest .NET 3.5 SP1:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

You can download the X1 Professional Client v6.7.2 Release Candidate 1 by using this link: http://www.x1.com/cs/x1_pro_client_dotNet_4054bu.exe

**Important Considerations**
- KNOWN DOWNGRADE ISSUE: Downgrading from X1 Professional Client v6.7.x to 6.2.x (or lower), while saving settings, will cause issues in the X1 index that prevent the application from launching. If you plan to downgrade from X1 Professional Client v6.7.x, uninstall the X1 client WITHOUT saving preferences/settings.
- Remember that we always advise that you uninstall any currently installed version of X1, without saving your preferences/settings, before installing any beta/RC build
- Please restrict all comments regarding this release to this section of the forum
- Any user upgrading from 5.5.5 or previous will be required to rebuild their index files.

-----------------------------------------------------

New Features/Enhancements in the X1 Professional Client
- Improved the responsiveness and memory footprint of the X1Service process
- Improved Lotus scanning speeds by up to 20%
- Improved the responsiveness of X1 to become active after operating in the background
- Improved the memory footprint of the X1FileMonitor process
- Improved the installation behavior of X1 when using the Deployment Manager

Bug Fixes
- Fixed a bug where X1 would not respect the option to start up minimized to the system tray
- Fixed a bug where the X1 icon in the taskbar was not always responsive to mouse clicks
- Fixed a bug with the Lotus scanner where X1 would lose connection with Lotus and require X1 to be restarted
- Fixed a bug where X1 would crash and report "out of memory"
- Fixed a bug where the index would report an error loading database files
- Fixed several bugs that could cause X1 to crash while indexing
- Fixed several bugs that could cause errors while sorting on certain columns

-----------------------------------------------------

Remember, that you can install this Release Candidate several ways:

1. Download using the link above. Close your email client and X1 using File > Exit. Then double-click the downloaded EXE to install.

2. Prompted to upgrade (pre-requisites):
    a. X1 Build 4023 (or higher) installed
    b. Tools > Options > Basic Options menu, the option "Also check for pre-release (beta) versions", must be selected
    c. Click on Help > Check For Updates or Close X1 (File > Exit) then relaunch

We appreciate any/all feedback regarding this RC build. Please restrict all comments to this section of the forum.

Thank you for your help!!
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Re: X1 ® Professional Client Version 6.7.2 Release Candidate

Postby tjh » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:20 pm

This version seems very responsive to restore after it's been in the background for an hour or so. I notice mention of this in the release notes, is that specific to this version or should it have been part of the earlier release?

Either way, X1 is very, very fast now. I don't think I'd look at going back to v6.2.4 anymore. This version finally seems to have overtaken that version in the speed stakes.

Congrats!

Tim
TiM
X1 Search v8.5.1 - 6001se (64 Bit)
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby moose2001 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:48 am

This is a huge improvement on 6.7.1. It's very responsive. It's easy to search. No indexing headaches.

I'll get to use it a lot over the coming days and find out whether the 'Out of memory' bug - which I was told was impossible to fix - is gone for good.

As a bonus, it's also making my Office programs eg. Access, quicker to load. BNo idea why but who cares.

Great!
moose2001

Postby wlobig » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:39 pm

wow. my lotus notes indexing time went from 1hr 40mins to 13 minutes.

Only downside is that my machine used 3.9GB RAM of my 4GB total during the index. I couldn't find a process that was using that much so it must have been file caching? it definitely didn't do this before.
wlobig

Postby tjh » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:13 pm

wlobig wrote:wow. my lotus notes indexing time went from 1hr 40mins to 13 minutes.

Only downside is that my machine used 3.9GB RAM of my 4GB total during the index. I couldn't find a process that was using that much so it must have been file caching? it definitely didn't do this before.

Just to clean up a common misconception: If your PC *is* using all that RAM for file caching, that's a _good_ thing. Otherwise, the memory is just sitting there totally empty. If it's being used for file caching and the OS needs that memory, the file cache will be instantly dropped and the memory given a requesting application.

Your PC should never have "free" memory. You might as well use it for a cache, which improves performance.
TiM
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby wlobig » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:34 pm

Yeah good point. Unused ram is wasted ram. :-)

However my machine felt sluggish when trying to run other apps so I don't think it was entirely file cache. On the other hand no processes were using that much memory.

Whatever the cause this version is way way faster to index notes nsf. Where did you get that 20% figure from? Mine is way improved.
wlobig

Postby Kenward » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:03 am

tjh wrote:This version seems very responsive to restore after it's been in the background for an hour or so. I notice mention of this in the release notes, is that specific to this version or should it have been part of the earlier release?

Definitely. Much faster.

What did they do to make it that much quicker?

I thought that the first 6.7 release was supposed to have done a lot on that front. I didn't notice much difference. This one is notably quicker on the uptake.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Tod » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:23 am

Glad to hear many of you are having really positive experiences with this new build!

tjh wrote:This version seems very responsive to restore after it's been in the background for an hour or so. I notice mention of this in the release notes, is that specific to this version or should it have been part of the earlier release?

This fix to improve memory usage and performance is brand new to this release.

moose2001 wrote:I'll get to use it a lot over the coming days and find out whether the 'Out of memory' bug - which I was told was impossible to fix - is gone for good.

We hope it is gone for good as well. It turns out it was impossible to fix in the X1 code. The solution was actually a fix to the IDE we use.

wlobig wrote:wow. my lotus notes indexing time went from 1hr 40mins to 13 minutes.

wlobig wrote:Where did you get that 20% figure from? Mine is way improved.

We like to be conservative in our numbers. We also saw some pretty impressive increases, but there were a couple test cases that came in at 20%, so that's the official number.
Tod
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby tjh » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:51 pm

Tod wrote:This fix to improve memory usage and performance is brand new to this release.

Well whatever you're doing, keep doing it! It's really, really good. No longer do I have to get angry at the PC while it takes ~10-15 seconds to bring X1 up and be ready to use. Previewing most documents is snappy and I think it's actually faster than v6.2.4.

So yes, I'm very, very happy once again. I can now show off X1 to my workmates again without fear of it stopping to "think about it" right in the middle of something.
TiM
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby mrwul » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:41 am

In X1, when selecting a number e-mails and then RMB click 'Move to folder', I wished the folder selection window that is coming up then,
would be resizable. It is a but unhandy having to scroll thru a long and wide folder tree ...

Am not sure whether this is possible though... :wink:
mrwul
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby arehm » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:01 am

Sooooooo much faster than the prior build. I've even added in 600k more emails (680k ish total now) and it moves like it's supposed to. Much appreciated.
arehm

Postby askwong » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:38 am

X1 Pro Client v6.7.2 Release Candidate 1 (Build 4054bu) response speed improved, thank you!

On the other hand, I still find that X1 still cannot minimize to System Tray when one clicks on the red [X] on upper right of the X1 Window...

As Taskbar space is quite limited by the many programs I have opened concurrently, would appreciate if X1 would help to rectify this for us!

BTW, I'm using English Win7 Pro (32-bit). Lenovo Thinkpad T410 notebook computer.
askwong
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:47 pm

askwong wrote:On the other hand, I still find that X1 still cannot minimize to System Tray when one clicks on the red [X] on upper right of the X1 Window...

It works here. Have you looked at the right click options on the icon in the notification area (aka, erroneously, the system tray)?

It should show the tick as appropriate.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Tod » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:50 pm

askwong wrote:On the other hand, I still find that X1 still cannot minimize to System Tray when one clicks on the red [X] on upper right of the X1 Window...

Can you confirm the settings you have for the following:
In the X1 UI, under Tools: Options:
Basic Options: "Show X1 icon in system tray" (should be checked)
In the X1 Systray Icon (right-click on the X1 Systray icon)
"Minimize X1 to the system tray" (should be checked)

I have verified that this is behaving correctly for me on XP, Vista, and Window 7. It might be that your settings got changed on upgrade, or you did a clean install, since clean installs default to minimizing to the toolbar.
Tod
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Greg Dawes » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:43 am

Notice: X1 v6.7.2 (Build 4054by) has been released GA

If you are already using 4054bu, you won't see much difference, but if you were waiting until the GA version got released, now is the time to upgrade. If you are currently running X1 v6.7, build 4023 or higher, you can automatically update from within X1 by clicking on Help > Check for Updates.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby askwong » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:47 am

The X1 v6.7.2 (Build 4054by) has been released GA works like a charm, closing X1 program does minimize it to the System Tray, MANY THANKS for listening!
askwong
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Re: X1 ® Professional Client Version 6.7.2 (Build 4054by)

Postby Canteras » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:33 am

I have installed 6.7.2 on Win 7 x64 following the recommendations of this forum for eliminating all traces of previous versions. However everytime I open the application (even from clicking on the tool bar icon) I get the User Account Control window asking me to confirm that I want this program to make changes to my computer.
There must be a way of bypassing this step. something obvious that I am missing. What??
Canteras

Postby Kenward » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:14 am

Sounds to me like something did not install properly.

How about running a "Repair"?
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Canteras » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:25 am

I have tried that... and reinstalling several times using "Run as Administrator" and with Kaspersky disabled. And still have exactly the same problem.
Kenward wrote:Sounds to me like something did not install properly.

How about running a "Repair"?
Canteras

Postby Kenward » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:13 pm

I'd put in an official support request.

I still think that Microsoft needs to do a few things to "UAC".

It constantly asks me to approve programs that I use all the time. Why can't it learn to trust them.

But X1 has never provoked this behaviour, except on installation.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Kenward » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:09 pm

I wonder if it was a mistake to install through "Run as Administrator".

I never do that.

I do install in an account with admin privileges. But that is not the same thing.

Maybe installing in that way leads Windows to expect something out of the ordinary.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby xniting@hotmail.com » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:55 am

I've been using this version of x1 with 64 bit Windows 7 and 32 bit office 2010 without any issues.

Since yesterday, x1 has stopped working. I can't get to the x1 UI window and it crashes with the error message 'x1 has experienced a problem and may need to close. Width and Height must be non-negative'. I've let x1 upload the crash file to the x1 web site a few times today.

Not sure if this is related, but since last week, if I leave my PC on and unattended for over 4 hours it generates a memory low MS Windows message and x1 crashes. The memory low messages do not appear if I’m using the PC.
The only config change I can think of was an update of MS visual C++ runtime library last week. I have now uninstalled the update but still have this problem.

Thanks for any help.
PS: apologies if this has been posted before but I could not find it by searching the forum.
xniting@hotmail.com

Postby Kenward » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:50 am

This could be just another case of a mysterious bug that has bitten several people. X1 seems to start and then just shuts itself down with few clues as to why. No messages, no error logs.

But you offer one small clue when you write "Width and Height must be non-negative".

I have seen strange behaviour when the display of X1 goes awry. (It starts as a "button" rather than a window.) In the past I have looked into the various .ini files for the places where it specifies the screen size and position.

If you shut down X1, and force it to close everything, track down the x1.ini file. It will be somewhere like this:

C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Local\X1 Desktop Search

If you open this in a text editor or viewer, you should see a section that looks like this:

[Window]
State=0
Left=1764
Top=52
Width=1063
Height=878
SearchFieldWidth=196

This mentions "Width and Height", so maybe something messed up your x1.ini file.

When I want to play around with this, I create a copy of the old one and work on that, just in case it isn't the cause, and to give me a rescue option.

This may have nothing to do with your problem, but it is a relatively painless thing to try.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby xniting@hotmail.com » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:22 am

Thanks a lot.
I closed x1, renamed X1Config.ini to X1Config.old and restarted x1. It created a new X1Config.ini file and all seems well now.

In case you are interested, the old file that made x1 stop working had the following:
[Window]
State=0
Left=0
Top=0
Width=132
Height=38
SearchFieldWidth=0
xniting@hotmail.com

Postby liuyelian » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:48 am

This version finally seems to have overtaken that version in the speed stakes.
My Dream is to collect all fishes in Pet society!
~My one and only wish~
~Colour Changing Pillar Aquarium~
-=The Dali [url=http://www.thersgolds.com/]Cheap Runescape Gold[/url]
[url=http://www.topdiablo3.com/]buy diablo 3 items[/url]
liuyelian

Return to X1 Professional Client - 6.7.x (Raptor)