X1.exe and X1Service.exe crash under new user profile

X1® Professional Client Version - Raptor builds (both Beta and Release Candidates)

Moderator: Mods

X1.exe and X1Service.exe crash under new user profile

Postby ex1 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:40 pm

Hi.

Latest release of X1 runs fine for the user profile under which it is installed. When a new user profile is created, X1 crashes at first start-up. This was happening on Vista and now again on Windows 7 Enterprise x64.

For a new user, uninstalling and reinstalling X1 gets it working for them but then the same crashes occur for existing profiles and any new ones created.

X1Service.exe does this as well but the Event logs for the X1.exe crash show:

Application Error event (1001)

X1.exe
4b749b4e
KERNELBASE.dll
4a5bdbdf
0eedfade
0000b727

Thoughts?

Thanks.
ex1

Re: X1.exe and X1Service.exe crash under new user profile

Postby Kenward » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:51 am

I assume that you mean Windows users.

I have x1 running successfully in a two-user arrangement.

Then again, I have never created a profile after installing x1. Could that be the issue?

Have you tried a simple "Repair" of x1 in the new users, or even the old one, before running the program?

The only other things I can think of that might cause hiccups are a possible conflict in the location of the X1 data – index and stuff – or something similar in Outlook, if you are using it.

In any case , your first move should be to submit an official request for support.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Chris Wheaton » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:39 pm

Typically this does not occur for secondary users on the same system when X1 is installed with its default setting that makes X1 available to any user on this machine.

Having experienced the problem reported I'd suggest you try to the following.

To make X1 work, each user may have to alter the registry key for the indexing data path directory BEFORE they launch X1 for the first time.

So, the “fix” is to make sure that they check/change the data path before launching X1 for the first time. The Datapath value, by default, is written to HKey_Current_User\Software\X1 Desktop Search. The string name is Datapath. For XP the path default is: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\X1 Desktop Search. For Vista and Windows7 the value would be C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\X1 Desktop Search.

Obviously you would set the username to the correct user name for the secondary X1 user on this system.

And I can't underscore this enough... This is done BEFORE that user first logs into X1.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby ex1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:35 am

Thank you, Chris. This was very helpful. The change is easy enough to make by hand but, of course, it would be optimal to have this done by environment variable (%userprofile%) or a script, neither of which I've had luck with yet. But I can move forward now.

Greatly appreciate the help.
ex1

Return to X1 Professional Client - 6.7.x (Raptor)