Update Failed

X1® Professional Client Version - Raptor builds (both Beta and Release Candidates)

Moderator: Mods

Update Failed

Postby CCRGMac » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:03 am

Hi,

I'm using X1 6.7.2 on Win XP Pro. For the last 2 - 3 months I have been invited to install an update to X1 each I boot up but the update always fails. It tries for a short time to install then come back with a message "The server timed out: System error 200" (or aomething like that). Most days I just dismiss the update reminder.

How can I either (a) get the update or (b) stop X1 from asking me to update?

Colin
CCRGMac

Re: Update Failed

Postby Kenward » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:12 am

Registered customers can login to the Support area and retrieve the most recent version of X1 that they are entitled to use.

If you download this, it could avoid problems that arise when X1 tries to do a live update.
MK
X1 Professional Client 6.7.4 (4054eu) | X1 Search 8.3 Build 5001lw (64-bit)
Windows 8.1 Update (64-bit) | Windows 7 Home Pro 64-bit SP1 | 32-bit SP1
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby CCRGMac » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:13 am

Thanks Kenward, I've been all over the site looking for an update download. I can see 'upgrade', but no update.

Maybe I should just grab the free trial and re-register it?

Colin
CCRGMac

Postby CCRGMac » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:03 am

Thanks for your guidance Kenward but...well, that was frustrating. I couldn't find an update link anywhere in the downloads area so I figured that I'd simply download the trial version and register that. I went through the full download (plus waiting for our corporate virus checker to grind through it) and installed but I still had 6.7.2.

Maybe I need to uninstall first? OK, went through the full uninstall, download, reinstall, register and not only do I still have 6.7.2, but as soon as it started I got the same update dialog popup message! Ever the optimist, I thought that maybe it would work this time but, no, the update timed out again and failed.

I grabbed screen shots this time so I can be more specific:

- The update dialog that pops up when rebooting or starting X1 says - A new version of X1 professional client (6.7.3 build 4054dh) is available. Do you want to downlaod and apply the update? (+ a few details on teh features and fixes)
- The downloader goes to try and get x1_pro_client_dotNet_4054dh.exe from www.x1.com
- A minute or so later a dialog pops up saying: HTTP Error: 12002 The operation timed out. Server status: 200.
- After dismissing that I get a final message: Windows cannot find 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\X1updater\XDS\x1_pro_client_dotNet_4054dh.exe'. Make sure that you have typed the name correctly and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start Button and then click Search. (Indeed, when I check via Explorer, the folder ...\X1updater\XDS exists, but it is empty.)

So, almost a hour later I'm back where I started and the same popup will appear on my screen tomorrow morning.

Is there a simple update link somewhere?

Colin
CCRGMac

Postby CCRGMac » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:07 am

PS, one more dialog after dismissing the last one:

Update failed, click close to quit. An error occurred while trying to update X1 Professional Client. Please run the update application again or contact X1 for help (Help!!). Error details: Unable to execute installer/patch file. The specified file could not be found.
CCRGMac

Postby CCRGMac » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:22 pm

No ideas?

I'd submit this to Tech Support but I cannot find anyway to do that without a subscription. I see that subscribers get "priority support", where can I submit a case for "regular support"?

I'm reluctant to pay to get it fixed when the problem is not of my own making.

Colin
CCRGMac

Postby Kenward » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:19 pm

The error "The server timed out: System error 200" might help. Although stating "[s]omething like that" dilutes the value. It taked an exact error message to diagnose issues. That's what the messages are for.

And saying "I couldn't find an update link anywhere in the downloads area" means not much.

What download area? Did you login to the support area as I suggested?

If so, it will tell you if you are entitled to an update beyond your current version.

If not,then you have two options:

• Buy an update and get support.
  • Turn off the update alert.
As your major beef seems to be the error message, why not just tell X1 not to look for updates?
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby askwong » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:58 pm

CCRGMac, are you using a firewall?
Perhaps your firewall had blocked your X1 program's access to www.x1.com site?
Just a thought...

[quote="CCRGMac"]"The server timed out: System error 200" might help. Although stating "[s]omething like that" dilutes the value. It taked an exact error message to diagnose issues. [/quote]
askwong
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:12 am

askwong wrote:CCRGMac, are you using a firewall?
Perhaps your firewall had blocked your X1 program's access to http://www.x1.com site?
Just a thought...

Good idea. That is one reason why it would be good to download the latest allowed version rather than to leave X1 to update itself.

But as the user has already had problems with installing the download of latest trial version, which is the same one that they are offered by X1's update, I wonder if there is some other problem with their PC.

Someone who installs the latest trial version and still ends up with their old version may have some other issues.

I am a bit worried by references to "waiting for our corporate virus checker to grind through it". Suggests an atypical IT environment. My virus checker is invisible.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby CCRGMac » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:10 am

Thaks for the responses guys, I can see the issue now. I did not understand the way that X1 was using the terms "update" and "upgrade". The prompt kept telling me that there was an update availble so I assumed that this was a no cost bug fix. Going from 6.7.2 to 6.7.3 made it sound quite minor. When I went to the Support area however there no mention of "updates", only "upgrades".

When I think of "upgrade", I think of moving to a higher level of software or service but, because I am already using X1 Professional, I was ignoring the "upgrade" option (i.e. I had no higher level to upgrade to). Now that I can see that the two terms are being used to mean the same thing and becasue I haven't paid the EUR24.95 for the update/upgrade, I can understand why I am not getting it.

So I have now unchecked "checked for new version at startup" and life should go on smoothly.

I still don't udnerstand what was going on with the failed auto updater (maybe it assumes that you have an active service agreement and doesn't know how to handle an expired one?), but the point is now moot.

Thanks again,

Colin
CCRGMac

Return to X1 Professional Client - 6.7.x (Raptor)