X1® Professional Client v6.7.4 Beta

X1® Professional Client Version - Raptor builds (both Beta and Release Candidates)

Moderator: Mods

Postby noel » Mon May 14, 2012 6:35 pm

(Build 4054en) (Created: Thu May 10 20:11:15 PDT 2012)

NOTE: Installing this build requires that .NET 4.0 or higher be installed on your computer. Here is the link to the latest .NET 4.0 installer:

.NET Framework 4.0

You can download the X1 Professional Client v6.7.4 Beta by using this link: x1_pro_client_dotNet_4054en.exe

-------------------------------------------------------------
**Important Considerations**
- KNOWN DOWNGRADE ISSUE: Downgrading from X1 Professional Client v6.7.x to 6.2.x (or lower), while saving settings, will cause issues in the X1 index that prevent the application from launching. If you plan to downgrade from X1 Professional Client v6.7.x, uninstall the X1 client WITHOUT saving preferences/settings.
- Remember that we always advise that you uninstall any currently installed version of X1, without saving your preferences/settings, before installing any beta/RC build
- Please restrict all comments regarding this release to this section of the forum
- Any user upgrading from 5.5.5 or previous will be required to rebuild their index files.

-------------------------------------------------------------

New Features/Enhancements in X1 Professional Client
- Improved the display of text throughout the product by implementing .NET 4.0
- Updated the graphic theme to better integrate with Windows 7
- Improved the defaults settings to allow for faster indexing
- Improved the defaults for storing email bodies to speed up previews
- Clearer display of subfolder index settings, allowing for different settings than their parent folders
- Numerous UI enhancements and refinements
- Added the ability to communicate with X1 Rapid Discovery, version 4.0
- Added the ability to access server searches stored in a tree mode

Bug Fixes
- Outlook 2010 32 bit contacts, calendar items, and tasks indexed in both cached or uncached (online) mode
- Exclusion of the Lotus Notes PrivateIcon folder from index, avoiding duplicate items in index
- Fixed a bug causing PDFs to print as a black page
- Fixed a bug causing illegible PDF preview
- Removed falsely reported memory check issue on shutdown
- Removed false ‘low disk space’ warning
- Ability to uninstall and reinstall the same version
- Symantec Vault Plugin accepting passwords with spaces in them
- Proper Skype connector install
- Proper display for daily indexing schedule times
- Fixed server search plugin crash
Noel Ferreria
noel
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Re: X1® Professional Client v6.7.4 Beta

Postby Kenward » Tue May 15, 2012 1:28 am

Clicking the link delivers an error.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby tjh » Tue May 15, 2012 2:22 am

X1 you really should employ me. I'd be great.

Anyway. Looking at old download links and lots of trial and error (what can I say, I'm a fan) I found the download link.

http://support.x1.com/cs/x1_pro_client_ ... 4054en.exe
TiM
X1 Search v8.5.1 - 6001se (64 Bit)
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Tue May 15, 2012 4:17 am

Well spotted.

That is similar to the trick we had to resort to when the V7 beta downloads wouldn't work.

Maybe X1 is testing us to see if we are suitable users of these beta version.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Greg Dawes » Tue May 15, 2012 9:32 am

Kenward wrote:Maybe X1 is testing us to see if we are suitable users of these beta version.
Haha....and yes, Kenward and Tim, you both have passed the test!! :D

I've fixed the original link too...so that should be working as well.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Kenward » Tue May 15, 2012 11:01 am

I must say, coming back to the old version makes me nostalgic.

Back with the toolbar. RSS indexed. Customisable searches tree. And so on.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby tjh » Tue May 15, 2012 11:34 am

Kenward wrote:I must say, coming back to the old version makes me nostalgic.

Back with the toolbar. RSS indexed. Customisable searches tree. And so on.

Indeed, I'm the same. As much as I do love the X1 Beta, this version when searching emails does really seem to fly. The font issue has, praise $deity, been fixed so X1 6.7.4 looks "as good" to me in Windows XP as v6.2.4 does.

I did have one crash when indexing email - I popped up and told me it wanted to email in daily usage information, but it had obviously crashed. So I let it send that in, hope that helped X1!

Oh, have I just found a bug??

So I search for stats in my email, looking good:

But then I add one more letter and it returns no results??

If I search with a " at the start of the line, it does keep returning results:

That seems like a bug.

Tim
TiM
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Tue May 15, 2012 1:26 pm

I had, and filed, a crash related to indexing an RSS stream.

I wonder if those addins are so old that they are now more likely to fail. I'll see if the issue perists.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Tod » Tue May 15, 2012 5:11 pm

Tim,

Not a bug, but an enhancement to avoid long phrase search delays. Since emails can be pretty long and can be multiple phrases strung together and can also have a large number of hits, there is an enhancement to assume an email address is an exact phrase search to speed up the returns.

That has the downside that if you stop typing before you hit the end of the email address, you'll get zero results. So, first.last@gmail.com will return results as expected, but first.last@gmail.co will not.

Of course, X1 has to figure out that you are typing an email address for this to kick in. So, in your example, roots@stats.v cannot be an email address (not a long enough top level domain) and "roots@stats.ve is probably not an email address as well, since it starts with a quote, so X1 assumes you are typing something else.

If you really need to hunt for an email address as-you-type, you can either start with a quote or use another punctuation instead of @ to string the phrase together. root.stats.ve will return results as-you-type.

And this yields a power tip. If you want to avoid quotes altogether, you can string your phrase searches together with periods. so, type random.phrase.search instead of "random phrase search" and you can skip the quotes.
Tod
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby tjh » Tue May 15, 2012 8:36 pm

@Tod makes sense to me, thanks for clarifying.

Is this new in 6.7.4 or have I just not been paying enough attention?
TiM
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Tod » Wed May 16, 2012 10:38 am

Tim, it's been around for a while, since about 5.4 version of the product.

From some testing, we found that this will speed up phrase searches by a factor of about 4 and we had noted that email "phrase searches" were notably slow, mostly because the term co* tends to have a ton of matches.

As another power tip, if you are using . to create a phrase search, like first.last.email.com, adding an = sign to the end of it will signal that the last term is exact and will speed up return of results by a factor of about four (so, you'd end up typing first.last.email.com=).
Tod
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby x1-la_write » Thu May 17, 2012 8:08 am

Hi, while trying to install the beta 6.7.4 in Windows XP 64 - installer insist on SP3. There is no SP3 in XP64. And not coming anytime soon. SP2 in XP64 is it.
Thanks, LA
x1-la_write

Postby Kenward » Thu May 17, 2012 10:12 am

Now that XP is more than a decade old, positively 20th century in its origins, you are likely to see more and more of this sort of thing. Programmers don't expect people to be struggle on with something that old, even though it is probably still common in the business world.

I have seen reports like this with another piece of fine software that I can't live without.

They had to check for SP3 because the software would not work without it in 32-bit XP. At first, I seem to think, they missed the SP2/3 32-64-bit thing.

I have no idea if this will work, and you try it at your own risk, but there the suggestion was to try this:

If you see either message but you are really running a later version of Windows (e.g. Windows 7 or Windows Vista) then the installer, or the program you have launched it from, must be configured to run in Compatibility Mode. See below for information on turning off Compatibility Mode.

I don't know if this message is open to all comers, or if it will have any effect in X1's installer, but the full details are available here.

It would be a good idea to file a support request on this. Just in case the X1 folks miss it here.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby noel » Thu May 17, 2012 11:25 pm

x1-la_write wrote:Hi, while trying to install the beta 6.7.4 in Windows XP 64 - installer insist on SP3. There is no SP3 in XP64. And not coming anytime soon. SP2 in XP64 is it.
Thanks, LA

Hello,

When you see that error message, are you able to continue through the wizard by hitting next? It should allow you to keep going even though that warning appears for XP 64 SP2.

Please let me know if there is no way to continue after that message appears.

Thanks,

-Noel
Noel Ferreria
noel
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Messinger » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:41 pm

Is there a suggested diagnostic regimen to locate the cause of X1 always dropping its index?

My installation of X1 is running on Windows 7 (64-bit version). It seems to index just fine but, eventually, I'll run X1 and find "This tab has no index" on every tab. It's as if the index was never created.

The support instructions are to try to locate an application that is locking the files. The solution is supposed to be to close applications. Uh, have you seen how many processes and applications are running in Windows? I've excluded the folder containing my index from Windows search and as many other indexing or scanning applications as I can. But I still end up with the same result; after going through the lengthy process of creating the index, I find (a day or two later) that it no longer exists.

Is this a problem which has only occurred in recent versions of X1? Or, is this a problem that's related to Windows 7? I've only recently moved to a Window 7 machine and only recently upgraded to 6.7.4.
Messinger

Return to X1 Professional Client - 6.7.x (Raptor)