Getting a Font Issue in 6.7.4

X1® Professional Client Version - Raptor builds (both Beta and Release Candidates)

Moderator: Mods

Getting a Font Issue in 6.7.4

Postby SaturnMan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:14 am

On occasion, the spacing in the fonts (in the columns in X1) is collapsing so that there is no longer any space between one letter and the next. eg The word Bill comes out looking like a "B" with a black box next to it... b/c the "i" and the 2 l's have smashed together into a black square. This has only started in 6.7.4 and I've also tried the 4054et build. The problem happens sporadically but consistently (few times a day). I haven't been able to repro it but sometimes I can see it occur by switching tabs from Email to Calendar, for instance.

Preview pane is not effected.... just the text in the columns.

Once the issue starts, the only way to get clean fonts back is to exit X1 completely and restart.

Anyone else seeing this?

(I am on .Net 4.0)
SaturnMan

Re: Getting a Font Issue in 6.7.4

Postby noel » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:38 am

Try a .NET framework 4.0 repair and see if it helps with the issue:

Add Remove Programs > Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 Extended > Uninstall/Change > Repair Option
Noel Ferreria
noel
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby emailsubs3 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:53 am

I'm also experiencing the compressed/collapsing font issue in 6.7.4. The font for menuitems also has the same issue not only the columns.
I tried .NET framework 4.0 repair -- didn't work. Tried a Windows Update -- didn't work either. I have to exit and restart X1 to go back to normal font.

I use Lotus Notes on Win 7 Pro with display set at custom 115% (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display).

Thanks
emailsubs3

Postby noel » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:13 pm

Another option to try is to clear the WPF font cache. To do this in Windows 7:

1. Stop the services named "Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0" and "Windows Font Cache Service"
2. Navigate to C:\windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local in Windows Explorer
3. Delete the font*.dat files.
4. Restart the services or your computer.

In Windows XP:

1. Stop the services named "Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0" and "Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 4.0.0.0"
2. Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data in Windows Explorer
3. Delete the *fontcache*.dat files.
4. Restart the services or your computer.

If that still doesn't help, try running X1 with the Font Cache services disabled first.

Let me know if any of this helps or if it just keeps happening.
Noel Ferreria
noel
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby emailsubs3 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:38 pm

Thanks but unfortunately the last solution doesn't work. Tries several times. I even uninstalled X1 and .NET 4 and reinstalled. I'm still experiencing the issue.
Reproducible use case:
- Open one of the listed emails
- Switch to Lotus Notes 8.5.x to read email
- Switch back to X1
- Just click inside columns area (to select another email, for example)... Boom!
- Font goes berserk for text in columns and menuitems under menus.

Regards
emailsubs3

Postby togherprince » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:33 am

I am getting the same issue - in fact quite a few issues using X1 with Notes - the font issue is annoying and only appeared after upgrading to the latest release of X1. Also, for some unknown reason, my Notes client is switching to some ID that it thinks is located in the x1 folder in Program Files (stellent directory). Again, no idea why this is happening and did not happen before. I reinstalled x1, keeping my preferences, re-added my Notes databases, but ID issue is still happnening and now my favourite searches are not showing in the right hand pane or the toolbar, only if I click on Searches in the Menu bar.
Any ideas?
thanks,
Jason.
togherprince

Postby SaturnMan » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:16 am

I am using Notes as well and can reproduce it.

1. Exit Notes and X1.
2. Fire up Notes. Fire up X1. (X1 fonts normal)
3. From X1, double-click on Notes e-mail to open it. (Screen switches to Notes and opens the e-mail)
4. Go back to X1.... fonts collapsed.
5. Restart X1... fonts back to normal. Back to step 3 repro's it again.

Definitely started in 6.7.4.
SaturnMan

Postby emailsubs3 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:47 am

Just wondering if there's any update on this issue?
Would a .NET framework 4.x update resolve this issue?

I use Lotus Notes as email client. Is this problem reproducible in Outlook?

Thanks for your time

Em
emailsubs3

Postby Chris Wheaton » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:44 pm

Em - The number and frequency of this font issue report has essentially stopped - I haven't seen a new case of this in several weeks. Might that be connected to a new .Net security patch? Very likely. If you have some outstanding .Net updates to install I would follow through with that and see if the behavior stops.

As for the potential to see this in Outlook - to date I *may* have seen this only once in an Outlook environment.

If I use "Olympic" scoring and throw out the fluke, that leaves me with 100% of the remaining reports in Lotus environments. I'm not sure why, and I'm not even certain this points to a Lotus connection to the issue, but that is what I'm seeing.

Translation into English, it is highly probable that you will not see this if you're using Outlook.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Kenward » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:05 am

Chris Wheaton wrote:Translation into English, it is highly probable that you will not see this if you're using Outlook.

I certainly have never seen it in Outlook. Nor can I recall any reports here.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby SaturnMan » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:19 pm

Chris,

I have applied the latest .Net and all service packs/security fixes and the issue still occurs when using Lotus Notes. The use cases mentioned earlier in this thread are all the same and the issue can be easily reproduced via the above steps.

The issue does not occur with any other programs (only impacts X1) and only began w/ X1 v6.7.4 when used with Lotus Notes.

Hoping for a fix as it is quite annoying when attempting to use the product....
SaturnMan

Postby Chris Wheaton » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:28 pm

SaturnMan - All I can say is we are aware of the problem and we do hope to have a solution in a future release; either another crank of a 6.7.n or in a future 7.N
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby emailsubs3 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 am

I stumbled upon this workaround to resolve the font issue in 6.7.4 discussed in this thread. Versions 6.7.3 and 7.0 beta work fine for the get go.

By leaving the Status Pane open at the bottom of the window, the font no longer collapses when switching between Lotus Notes and X1. My preview pane is on the left. I don't know why but that resolves the problem. I guess it's an acceptable workaround for this version.

Cheers

Em
emailsubs3

Postby Chris Wheaton » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:14 am

Em - I will confirm that version 6.7.3 is not known to exhibit this problem. I have not had the issue reported with Beta 7 to my knowledge so it is very likely that it does not have this problem as well.

That said, I am not clear on what you've done here, and I think I may be confused with your terminology....

You state that you leave the Status Pane open at the bottom of the [X1] window. By this I think you mean the "Results Status Pane" - correct? OK... I'm good so far.

But you then say your Preview Pane is on the left... That doesn't seem consistent to me.

The typical X1 view has the Searches Panes on the extreme left. Then the Search Results Pane is in the Center. Where a user chooses to have the Results Status Pane displayed, as discussed above, it too would be in the middle just below the Search Results Pane. Lastly you would have the Preview Pane on the far right. I do not know of a way to place the preview pane on the left?

Could I ask that you explain that part again so as to improve our understanding of what you have done?
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby emailsubs3 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:29 pm

If I click to show the [results] status pane at the bottom of the window, the font issue will not be reproducible when I apply the testcase described above. X1 is working as it should.

If I click to hide the [results] status pane, the font issue will reoccur the next time I restart X1 and apply the testcase.

Yes, thanks for the correction -- the preview pane is on the right.

Em
emailsubs3

Postby tjh » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:37 pm

What graphics cards are people using? They can sometimes cause issues.

I've never seen this problem myself on a Windows XP box with an NVIDIA card.

Just an idea...
TiM
X1 Search v8.5.1 - 6001se (64 Bit)
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby sjk » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:29 am

Hello,

I have the same problem with fonts in my installation of X1 Professional Client Version 6.7.4 (Build 4054eu).

The way of reproducing the problem is the same as posted by SaturnMan

SaturnMan wrote:1. Exit Notes and X1.
2. Fire up Notes. Fire up X1. (X1 fonts normal)
3. From X1, double-click on Notes e-mail to open it. (Screen switches to Notes and opens the e-mail)
4. Go back to X1.... fonts collapsed.
5. Restart X1... fonts back to normal. Back to step 3 repro's it again.

I am using a Lenovo Laptop with NVIDIA graphics, Windows 7 and .NET 4.

If I apply the workaround described by emailsub3 and activate the Results Status Pane under the menu option View the problems does not occur any more. If I deactivate the Results Status Pane the problem is occurring again.
sjk

Postby SaturnMan » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:45 am

Thank you emailsub3 !

That workaround of showing the Results Status Pane works for me too. I tried almost everything I could think of to find a workaround but never would have thought to try that pane out (what a find! congrats!).

My system: Lenovo X220, Win 7 x64 .Net 4.5
Intel HD Graphics v8.15.10.2342
Lotus Notes 8.5.3
SaturnMan

Postby gregger » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:41 am

Hi all,

I have experienced the same problem running X1 and Lotus Notes, and am using the same "workaround." I had to deactivate and then reactivate the Results Status Pane to resolve the compressed font problem in most areas of the interface.

However, the problem still occurs in the Labels over the Search Filter input boxes (ie., for Email, "From" "To" "Subject" "Date/Time" etc.)
gregger

Postby pbandrews3 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:51 am

I had this problem and am successfully using the workaround discussed. Nice catch.

Have NOT had the leftover problem gregger describes with rendering of column header labels.

Sequence followed was exit Notes and kill all processes, file/exit x1, start Notes, start X1, View/show results pane in EACH view (e.g. inbox/email/sent/files), test by opening a Notes email from results.

Using Notes 8.5 in Windows 7.
pbandrews3

Postby SaturnMan » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:48 am

Have a new laptop running Notes 8.5 and X1 6.7.4ff and this problem is back - and the Search Results workaround above doesn't seem to be working. The workaround worked on the old laptop, but this new one doesn't.... same use case above.

Has anyone else seen the problem resurface (perhaps a new .Net update from Micorosft?) or does anyone have a different workaround?
SaturnMan

Re: Getting a Font Issue in 6.7.4 - No Problem in 6.7.3

Postby barclaybrown » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:20 am

This font problem has been constant on several of my machines. Displaying the results pane SOMETIMES prevents it for a while, but it comes back eventually, usually within a few minutes or the first time I access a Lotus Notes email from X1. Is everyone else who is experiencing this bug using Lotus Notes? I use both Outlook and Notes mixed in X1.

But I have found that if i reinstall 6.7.3 (Build 4054dh) that the problem NEVER occurs. This would seem to limit the places that must be investigated to fix the bug, right? For now I am using this version on all my machines and all is well. Of course I cannot go to the new X1 because of no Lotus Notes support. So I am stuck in the past with 6.7.3. But it does work!

Barclay
barclaybrown

Return to X1 Professional Client - 6.7.x (Raptor)