How can I step through the emails in a list, if I OPEN them?

X1® Professional Client Version - Raptor builds (both Beta and Release Candidates)

Moderator: Mods

How can I step through the emails in a list, if I OPEN them?

Postby shiphen » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:12 am

Hi

If I actually *open up* (using Outlook2010 in Win7) one of the emails that in my search results, how do I then go "Next-Next-Next" stepping through the emails in the list within the same window?

This is a serious problem usability problem. Just seeing the emails in the frame on the right hand side of the screen is NOT enough. I need to actually *OPEN* each email. But as soon as I do so, I can then no longer skip to the next item in the list from within the opened email's window.

Please note that this is a real pain. And in practice if I need to search across multiple broadly similar emails (e.g. in a conversation thread) then I am much better using Outlook's own search tool which DOES let me do this. Make no mistake, outlook's own search tool is really horrible. It is extremely slow, clunky and hard to understand what the heck it is searching. Nonetheless in many cases, because of these issues, I would rather use it than use X1!

J
shiphen
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Re: How can I step through the emails in a list, if I OPEN t

Postby Kenward » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:13 pm

I'm afraid I don't understand what you are doing, so this response will probably make no sense.

Why not select the emails in X1 and open them all in Outlook in one go?
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby shiphen » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:45 am

I dont understand your comment.

Let me explain.
Suppose I want to do a search across all my emails for something specific like say "peregrine falcon".
So I open up X1 ==> Then I click the "Email" tab, and next to where it says "Search:" enter the words "peregrine falcon" (without quotes in this case).
Now as fast as I type, up comes all the matching searches. i.e. a list of all emails with the words "peregrine" and "falcon" in them.
If I click on the Date/Time column, then the emails will be sorted by the order in which they were sent (or arrived?? I forget which)

At this point there might be be 250 or so, so I cant possibly open them all up if that's what you are suggesting.
But what I want to do is step through each email in date sequence.
I might even know that the email I'm looking for was in July 2012, and start searching from there.

The problem is that most likely the window on the far right is not large enough for me to know - so I need to open the entire email in Outlook to get a proper look at it.
And if it's not the right email and I want to see the NEXT most recent email I want to be able to do that with a single click.

INSTEAD I have to close the one that is open and double-click on the next email in the list, look at it, close it, find the next one with my mouse etc etc

Whereas I want to be able to just click Next, Next, Next to move between open emails in the list.

J
shiphen
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Chris Wheaton » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:05 pm

Shippen,

First lets identify the parts of the X1 interface so we're all on the same page.

To the extreme left you normally have the Searches Panel - comprised of the Favorites search on top and "all" searches on the bottom. To the right - and typically in the middle of the interface - is the Results Pane. To the right of the Results Pane is the Preview pane.

So you've searched for Peregrine and Falcon and you have a list of 250 results that you sort by date. I suggest you click the top most item in the results pane which will highlight that item in the results pane and present that emails content to your in the preview panel that email will be previewable... is that the one you want? No? - with that item still highlighted in the results pane simply use your down arrow to navigate to the next email in the results pane. Arrow down, arrow down and so on and so on until you see the item you're looking for.

If the preview pane display is too small - try these tricks:

- Turn off the Searches Panel: From the Menu Bar click View - Searches Pane - which should uncheck (disable) the Searches pane. This in turn provides more screen space to the Results Pane and the Preview Pane.

- If you don't want the Searches Pane disabled grab the splitter bar between the Searches Pane and the Preview pane and pull it to the left to shrink the overall size of the Searches Pane - while still leaving it visible.

- Similarly, grab the Splitter Bar between the Results Pane and the Preview Pane and pull it to the left to shrink the overall size of the results pane - thereby providing more room for the Preview pane.

- Put the Preview Pane on the bottom of the interface (View > Preview Pane > Bottom).
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Kenward » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:17 am

It was the "open" bit in the original question that got me. I was under the impression that the user wanted to open the emails. This is not something I do much from X1.

They say that a picture is worth a thousand words. So here is a picture:

I suspect that Chris is suggesting that you create a display that looks like that.

Why would you need to Open your email when you can simply scroll through them in X1?

If that display does not meet your needs, then Chris has suggested ways to change it. X1 is very flexible on that front.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby shiphen » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:46 am

> Why would you need to Open your email when you can simply scroll through them in X1?

Because X1 inevitably takes up quite a lot of space on the screen... and in order to see if I have found the exact email that I seek, I either need to do lots of vertical scrolling within X1 or open the email in Outlook.

Part of the problem is that emails usually involve quite long conversational 'threads' and so you end up having to find the important bit SOMEWHERE within the body of an email, somewhere in amongst a large number of emails. So I often and up stepping through lots and lots of very similar looking emails all of which are talking about the same subject, before I can get to the email I seek. And the smaller the window that you are looking for the more vertical scrolling within each email you need to do.

For this reason it ends up being easier to open up one of the emails in question in Outlook to see if is correct email. But the big problem is that if I have done my searching use X1, when I go to "Next" image in Outlook, Outlook does not have the filter in question in use. Which makes me wish that I had done all my searching in Outlook rather than in X1!
shiphen
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Chris Wheaton » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:26 pm

Shiphen - While I can understand a bit better how you find it necessary to open the email items, I also can't help but think that, if we put a bit more effort into this we could get your search results narrowed to a finer result; thus leaving fewer possible options to search.

Remember too, if you click in the preview pane of any one selected email item you can use the plus sign (+) to "Jump" from hit to hit within that email. Use the minus (-) to navigate backward through the hits in a document.

With that in mind you find a group of emails. Click in the preview pane and Jump through the email item. Finding that email item 1 is not the desired email select the next item in the results list to bring it into preview and Jump through that item and so on until you find the item with the correct context.

It is fully possible that you already do these things and if so forgive me.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Kenward » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:59 pm

shiphen wrote:Part of the problem is that emails usually involve quite long conversational 'threads' and so you end up having to find the important bit SOMEWHERE within the body of an email, somewhere in amongst a large number of emails.

Did you know that you can search within X1's viewer pane.

But that means knowing what you are looking for.

I usually try to refine searches to home in on things. Doesn't always work, given my memory.

On my system, the X1 window is no smaller than that in Outlook. But I do have "dual-monitors".
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to X1 Professional Client - 6.7.x (Raptor)