Support for indexing and searching eBooks?

This forum is to discuss general things about X1.

Moderator: Mods

Support for indexing and searching eBooks?

Postby csalsa » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:19 pm

Hi

I have a technical library of books. Sooner or later I will stop buying paper versions and get electronic books or digital books. However, one of the things I want is to be able to search across eBooks.

X1 does not support .azw/.tpz (Kindle 'Amazon'), .dnl (DNL Reader), .epub (IDPF/EPUB), .lit (Microsoft Reader), .prc/.mobi (Mobipocket), opf (Open eBook), .BBeB (Broadband eBook 'Sony'), .pdb (eReader 'Barnnes & Noble') etc.

But does support .pdf

Is this because some of the formats are propriety? IFilters are not available for text extraction for these formats? Sellent viewers are not available for viewing? DRM prevents text extraction from the eBook for indexing?

With the growth of eBooks, I would think this is an important topic 'support for eBooks' for X1. Support for .epub, .mobi and .azw would be great.

Any thoughts? Any comments?
csalsa
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Re: Support for indexing and searching eBooks?

Postby Kenward » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:46 am

This is a question that I have also pondered.

At the moment, I deliberately avoid getting material in formats that X1 cannot handle. But that is going to become harder.

I already have subscriptions to journals (Science, for example, and some IEEE publications) that I can also get as Zinio, zno, files. (Effectively a protected PDF file.) I have never been a fan of that format, partly because of the accessibility problem.

They all seem to demand their own viewers. If X1 can connect to installed viewers and iFilters, fine. I will install the software. But I do not want to have to individually index and search every format.

I sometimes print to PDF for odd formats, but this is not really a viable long-term option.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby pgk » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:50 am

Great idea, the X1 team should actively search out new popular formats to index all the time. At install or after major update, they could scan the user's files for all file types present on the machine in significant numbers, and offer to content index those types that are supported in a 'first install wizard', or something similar. For files with DRM this may never be possible (protected from being read by anything other than explicitly allowed applications/machines), but that's for them to figure out.
pgk
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby WebDev » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:05 am

Couldn't agree more about X1 supporting reading multiple e-reader formats. I'm currently wrestling that issue over in the Amazon Kindle support forum.

Please take note X1. When I recently found that your 8.1.1 product dramatically trounced Copernic Desktop Professional in every way, I dropped them like a hot potato after many years of use. It was actually pretty easy with their 4.x product. Tons of bugs, user interface oversimplified from previous versions, much slower to index, and totally sketchy and inconsistent in recursively indexing deep folders.

That said, I hope you won't rest on your laurels and will keep adding new formats that you can search. E-book formats are one glaring omission. If it is a DRM issue, then if I were you, I'd have a major initiative to negotiate some kind of ifilter solution with them that avoids DRM violation. Just my humble opinion, but I'm certain that I'm representative of a large percentage of your users. Knowledge workers want quick access to ALL of the information on their hard drives, no matter the format.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref= ... &cdUnsub=1
WebDev

Postby visionweaver » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:16 pm

I, too, would like to see indexing of ebooks added. I use X1 for indexing academic articles and books, and more and more material is now available as e-books. (For now, I convert them to pdf's to index them, but it would be nice to skip that step!)
visionweaver

Postby golfingcat » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:52 am

Hi,discovering your app after copernic, non drm epub search should be a must for your great software
golfingcat

Postby Kenward » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:45 am

epub is so obvious that you have to wonder why it hasn't happened.

Is it a proprietary format. Is Oracle, owner of the technology that most of the computing world now uses to view files, so far behind the curve that it hasn't come up with viewers for this format?
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Utomo » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:30 am

+1 for ebooks support

Ata least support most common format:
.epub
.mobi
.azw
Utomo

Postby tm19 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:55 am

Ditto the OP's request for non-DRM ePub indexing.

Ditto WebDev's comments about Copernic and the temptation to jump back now that it supports ePub files.
tm19

Return to General Discussion