Outlook 20007 PST files inaccessible

This forum is to discuss general things about X1.

Moderator: Mods

Outlook 20007 PST files inaccessible

Postby kensmith » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:09 pm

I am using Outlook 2007 for storing different important files such as journal, tasks, notes, mails etc. I have been using Outlook 2007 for storing different business information but yesterday I found my PST file was damaged severely and became totally inaccessible. Can anyone of you provide me best way for repairing damaged PST file and fix PST file corruption issues?
kensmith

Re: Outlook 20007 PST files inaccessible

Postby Kenward » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:06 am

Your first port of call should be scanpst.

Actually, it should be to restore your backup copies of the pst files, but that is a different story.

Somewhere on your PC, depending on your version of Windows, there is a file called scanpst.

In some versions it will be here:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033\SCANPST.EXE

or, depending on your version of Office:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\SCANPST.EXE

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office13\SCANPST.EXE

Ignore the (x86) bit if you have 32-bit Windows.

It helps to make a copy of your PST files before you do this, then you can eliminate the time consuming step where scanpst makes its own copy.

You should probably run scanpst until it reports no errors.

As this is really an Outlook issue that is not related to X1, you might find more extensive information somewhere like here:

http://slipstick.com/

It is a site all about Microsoft Outlook.

A web search for scanpst may also help, as could a local search on the X1 forum.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Re: Outlook 20007 PST files inaccessible

Postby sylvia » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:32 am

Hi, kensmith

The Outlook PST file format is very complex. It starts with a file header containing the meta information of the whole file, followed by several parts containing the actual data. You can find more detailed information about the Outlook PST file format by searching on Google with the keyword “Outlook PST file format”. If the file header containing the meta information is corrupt, or any follow-up parts are damaged or corrupted, then you will not be able to open the file correctly with Outlook. In such a case, the first step is to try to use the built-in repair or recovery function in the Outlook, to see if it can repair or recover corrupted Outlook PST file for you. If not, then you need to resort to a third-party Outlook recovery tool to scan the corrupted file and retrieve all recoverable data for you. It is also possible to find a data recovery expert or company to do the task, but in most of the cases, they will also use a third-party tool to do the recovery for you.

The main difference between using the software by yourself and by a third-party service company is:
(1) The company is familiar with the data recovery industry so he knows which software is the best one. While you need to search and compare the software online by yourself, which is time-consuming.
(2) The company purchases the software for multiple usages, while you purchase the software for one-time usage only. So normally the service fee may be cheaper than the license fee for the software.
(3) DIY will keep your data confidential while do the recovery via a company may cause data breach.

If you want to perform a DIY recovery, then you can try the following methods:

First, the Microsoft offical tool scanpst, also called Inbox Repair Tool, can repair the PST file.

f the above method does not work, there are many third-party Outlook recovery tools you can try. Nearly all these tools provide a free trial so you can try first to see if a tool works before purchase it.
Hope this will help. Good Luck!
sylvia

Return to General Discussion