Windows 10 search features are now disabled

This forum is to discuss general things about X1.

Moderator: Mods

Windows 10 search features are now disabled

Postby yellarcat » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:47 pm

I just recently installed X1 Search Client on Windows 10. After installation I have noticed that none of the search functions for Microsoft programs work. Using the search box in Outlook doesn't return any results. Neither do the search boxes in File Explorer. If I open Settings and attempt to search for a setting using that search box, nothing comes up there either. I can use the Task Bar search box and it will find documents but not show any programs.

Has anyone else had this problem?
yellarcat

Re: Windows 10 search features are now disabled

Postby Kenward » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:33 pm

What do you mean by
none of the search functions for Microsoft programs work
? Windows search? Finding things in "All apps"?

Have you check in Windows 10 to see if you have turned off Windows Search?

I can't remember if X1 offers the option to turn off Windows Search when you install it. I would certainly jump at that opportunity. Why would you want that as well as X1 for documents?

Perhaps you are running two search tools side by side. For example, why use Outlook to do it when you have X1?

Thanks to your message I have just gone in and told Windows to mind its own business.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Re: Windows 10 search features are now disabled

Postby yellarcat » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:35 am

I wouldn't mind telling Windows to mind its own business if X1 would search for programs or settings. Before I installed X1, I could type a program in the Windows Task Bar Search Box and it would come up in the search results. Now nothing happens. If I type "Control Panel" in the Task Bar, nothing comes up. If I manually go to Control Panel and try to use the search box in the top right hand corner to search for "mouse" or any other setting, nothing happens. Nothing comes up.

As far as Outlook, trying to use any of the search boxs (messages, contacts, et.) resulting in no hits. I went and turned off "Windows Search", and while I get a warning message that it is turned off and results will be slow, the search boxes in Outlook now work as previously. However, this didn't fix the problem with the Task Bar search or the Control Panel search. All of these searches worked prior to installing X1, so I can only assume X1 has somehow disabled or impacted these search features. I can't find any settings in X1 related to related to enabling or disabling other search operations in Windows. Does no one else have this problem?
yellarcat

Return to General Discussion