Closing or crashing half the time

This forum is to discuss general things about X1.

Moderator: Mods

Closing or crashing half the time

Postby Forumqnis » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:58 pm

I'm using 5.6.3 build 3453. Since upgrading from the prior version (I'm a long-time Find/X1 user), even though "Show X1 in the icon system tray" is selected, about half the time X1 had closed (or crashed?) after the last usage and has to re-start again. This doesn't happen every time; only about half the time. In other words, instead of minimizing to the tray when it closes, the X1 icon remains in the tray, but when I click it X1 has to re-start instead of just restoring to its previous state.
Forumqnis
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby w0qj » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:57 pm

OK, did you try uninstalling X1, reboot computer, and reinstall?

Also, please advise more info on your stats:

-What version of Windows

-What version of Internet Explorer

-Did you use any previous Beta programs (Beta MS Office, Beta Internet Explorer, etc.)?
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

X1 crashes

Postby RogerD » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:19 am

Try the DEP exception fix

see seperate thread
RogerD

Postby Kenward » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:45 am

It helps to point people in the right direction.

I assume that this is what you mean:

http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?t=1586
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

The right direction

Postby RogerD » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:10 am

Thanks for repointing to the right "topic"

Let's hope its the right solution!
RogerD

Postby Forumqnis » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:52 am

Thank you. I tried that DEP Exception fix, but the closing/crashing problem persisted. So, I thoroughly uninstalled X1, and then re-installed (using version 5.2.3 instead of 5.6.3 because 5.2.3 was the last ultra-fast version and because I didn't have this issue with it).

It closes/crashes about one out of five times now rather than half the time.

I also often get an "alert" that says "The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded."

I'm using Windows XP 2002 with Service Pack 2. I'm using IE 7.0.5730.11, though my default browser is Firefox 2.0.0.3.

I've never installed any betas of IE or Office. This problem only occurs when Outlook is running, which is 90% of the time, so I'm not certain that Outlook has anything to do with the problem. Nonetheless, I'm using Outlook 2003 (11.8118.8122) SP2.

I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.
Forumqnis
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Kenward » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:55 am

A thought, whenever errors crop up in Outlook it does no harm to use SCANPST.EXE tp check it for errors. You will find it somewhere like this:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033\SCANPST.EXE

Outlook happily soldiers on with "fractured" PST files, but other software can hit a brick wall and fall over.

You might want to ensure that you have a fresh backup of the PST file. Just in case you run into problems. SCANPST will offer to make one for you. But you can never be too careful.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Forumqnis » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:26 am

Thank you for the suggestion. I did a scanpst but the problem persists.

I suspect the problem is somehow related to the other problem of the "alert" that says "The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded." That alert appears for no apparant reason; even if the search resulted in no results. That alert comes up about twice as often as X1 crashes. When the alert appears, it also opens a blank web page in my browser, and will even open the browser if it's not already open.
Forumqnis
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Greg Dawes » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:15 am

Forumqnis wrote:.... it also opens a blank web page in my browser, and will even open the browser if it's not already open.
Hi Forumqnis,

Regarding the issue where IE is opening a blank web page with the message, "The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded.", please see this KB article:

http://na1.salesforce.com/_ui/selfservi ... t%3D4&ps=1

This would indicate that you are running an older version of X1. I suspect that by upgrading, this will also take care of the crashing issue as well as there have been a number of "access violation" error messages that have been resolved in recent builds.

Let us know if this resolves your issues or not.

Thanks!
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Forumqnis » Tue May 01, 2007 6:32 am

Thank you. I did a complete uninstall and installed the latest version - Version 5.6.3 (Build 3453). That solved the "The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded" problem, but the crashing problem persists, though less often than before. In about one out of ten searches, as X1 begins to preview and e-mail or just as I double-click to open the result, X1 crashes.

Your suggestions are appreciated.
Forumqnis
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Greg Dawes » Tue May 01, 2007 5:16 pm

Forumqnis,

First, see if these steps reproduce your latest crash with build 3453:

1. In X1, click the "X" to minimize X1 (do not click the "_" to minimize)
2. Maximize X1
3. Double-click an email to open
4. Close the email just opened and you should see the crash

If you are able to reproduce the crash then you might consider installing a pre-release v5.6.4 (build 3455) that should not exhibit this crashing problem. If you are open to this, here are the steps for getting the pre-release version installed:

1. Close Outlook and X1 using File > Exit (verify that the X1.exe process is stopped via Task Manager)
2. Download the pre-release build from http://www.x1.com/cs/x1_ent_client_3455.exe
3. Reinstall X1
4. If prompted to keep your current settings/preferences, respond "Yes"

Please post back and let us know if you decide to install this new build and if it resolves your issue.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Forumqnis » Wed May 02, 2007 4:01 am

Indeed that fixed it. Thank you!!!
Forumqnis
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby dzeleznik » Wed May 02, 2007 7:42 am

Greg, those are precisely the symptoms that I am seeing also with 5.6.3! Thanks for the link, I will be testing out the 5.6.4 preview later today. Much appreciated if this fixes my problems.
dzeleznik

Postby Kenward » Wed May 02, 2007 9:13 am

I get that one too.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby dzeleznik » Wed May 02, 2007 2:16 pm

I have only used the 5.6.4 preview for a couple of hours now, but so far it seems *much* better than any 5.5.X or 5.6.X version to date! Not only does it seem more stable (no crashes yet), but X1 finally seems to have reclaimed some of the snappy performance of the old 5.2.X versions. Of course, I will be able to give more definite feedback on the stability improvements over the next day or so, and the performance seems still to not be where 5.2.3 was. But, so far it is the best update to X1 I have seen in quite a while. Thanks alot for this one!
dzeleznik

Postby Forumqnis » Fri May 04, 2007 2:41 am

I agree with dzeleznik. Build 3455 is extremely stable and fast. No crashes, and indeed it actually seems snappier.

Clarification question: Is Build 3455 version 5.6.3 or 5.6.4? This thread refers to it as 5.6.4, but the X1 About box says it's 5.6.3.
Forumqnis
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby w0qj » Fri May 04, 2007 8:29 am

Build 3455 is a non-public Beta version of XEC v5.6.4 if you like.

Have to give credit to X1 for listening to its users on this one...

Just over two week ago, we Forum Moderators have sent a (private) email to X1, summarizing features that many users have been constructively criticizing about.
(Mainly Preview speed, and also XEC UI snappiness.)

Now X1 had this Build 3455 that had already incorporated many of users' requests!

Do keep your feedback and feature requests coming!
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby hrr » Fri May 04, 2007 1:11 pm

I am having the same problems as mentioned with viewing Thunderbird v2.0.0.0 email. For those of us not prone to being test pilots, when is v5.6.4 expected to be released? On the other hand, if I would decide to give it a go with th preview, any risk other than having to uninstall that version and go back to another?
hrr

Postby dzeleznik » Sun May 06, 2007 7:12 am

I am now 5 days in with using build 3455 and not a single crash and enjoying the improved performance, very nice! FYI, that I have approx. 75K Outlook emails across 4 psts and 1.5M files indexed, of which 150K files are indexed for content.
dzeleznik

Postby trenat » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:13 pm

Kenward wrote:A thought, whenever errors crop up in Outlook it does no harm to use SCANPST.EXE tp check it for errors. You will find it somewhere like this:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033\SCANPST.EXE

Outlook happily soldiers on with "fractured" PST files, but other software can hit a brick wall and fall over.

You might want to ensure that you have a fresh backup of the PST file. Just in case you run into problems. SCANPST will offer to make one for you. But you can never be too careful.

thank you so much for this tip. it seems to be working now for me. I had already cleaned & gutted my system of X1 3 times before stumbling on this. turns out my OST had errors in it but outlook was still happily chugging along as you said.

here's to a X1 happily indexing after this. =)

EDIT : turns out that X1 still had problems so based on this recommendation I started a brand spanking new OST. seems alright so far.
trenat

Postby Kenward » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:58 am

Maybe there is a file or attachment in your Outlook system that makes X1 unstable.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby trenat » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:18 pm

thanks for the tip. I have encountered that problem before but then how on earth do you check on the faulty attachment until you stumble on it??

also the other thing is that the attachment that I found that time seems to be opening fine in outlook. sigh... it all seems too whacked out to me.

at any rate, the new OST seems to be holding up so far. although it has automatically closed once or twice so far. will keep monitoring and post back with any new findings.

funny how the X1 staff never has anything to say much on the forums.
trenat

Postby Kenward » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:14 am

One way to detect dodgy material is to create a view in X1 that shows the "indexing status". Some broken PDF files, for example, will show up as "BADFILE".

trenat wrote:funny how the X1 staff never has anything to say much on the forums.

These are "self support" forums. Paying customers can always submit support requests via the usual channel.

While I agree that they don't jump in and answer every question, the X1 team is much more visible here than in some of the software forums that I frequent.

For example, I am in the middle of trying to get Nero to cough up a new version of their software. I bought Nero 8 just days before Nero 9 came out. No offer of a free upgrade, which is widespread practice. They don't even make it easy to get the 14-day refund offered on the web site, preferring to pass the buck between Nero and the shop host. Absolutely no sign of anyone from Nero on their support forum. Nor do they answer emails.

Guess that is the difference between a consumer product with business users, Nero, rather than a business product with consumer users, like X1.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby trenat » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:43 pm

thanks for that tip. never really delved much into the information that was available via columns. just added the column in so will check to see if there are any "bad" files.

I'm still seeing the same crashes with cached exchange mode turned on. =( also split my inbox into multiple PSTs <500MB now. scanned every single one to no avail. doesn't seem to crash when I turn off the offline use in outlook. ran SCANOST too btw. *sigh*

thanks again though for all the tips. sorry to hear about nero. guess its reflected in their s/ware development as well given they're almost an entire OS now LOL.

good luck!

UPDATE : I don't see any information in the "Indexing Status" for emails. Only files seems to have some information i.e. "Stellent OK"

Would clicking too quickly on various items cause X1 to crash? Seems that is one of the methods to replicate the crash.
trenat

Return to General Discussion