X1 not free anymore

This forum is to discuss general things about X1.

Moderator: Mods

X1 not free anymore

Postby ridere » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:20 am

i dont find anymore the free version of X1 , which i used in the past.
Isnt it possible anymore to have a free version ?
thanks
CLAUDIO RIDERE
ridere

Postby Kenward » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:59 am

If you download the latest version of X1, it will start in trial mode with everything working.

After 30 days, I think, you can continue to use X1 but some of the features will no longer work.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby w0qj » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:22 am

Almost everything a single PC user will need is in the 'free' version of X1.

It's the corporate users who have to pay for the extra's, such as:

-you now need to pay in order to DISABLE network indexing (reduces network traffic).

-Lotus Notes support (home single users don't use this).
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby mwexler » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:50 pm

What does "need to pay in order to DISABLE network indexing (reduces network traffic)" mean?

You don't need to pay to not index the network. To the contrary, as http://www.x1.com/products/xds.html says, you need to pay for the Enterprise tool to index network shares. Not indexing the network is given completely for free (sarcasm included for free as well).

The X1 Professional Client allows you to find any file or email on your desktop and through the complete X1 Enterprise Search Suite, find any object on your network.
mwexler

Seems to completely disable x1 after 30 days now

Postby fredhag » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:51 am

I recently got a new computer after moving and could not readily find the X1 installation I've used in the past so I downloaded a new one, installed it, and ran it for 30 days. Now every time it starts, I get the same message as other installations after 30 days, but now it has no option to continue without licensing. I uninstalled X1, found my copy from a year ago, installed that, and X1 will not even start now. My guess is that the new X1 did not have a clean uninstall and now the old copy cannot work. Of course it's possible X1 has done something in the new version intentionally to inhibit downgrades, but I would not have imagined they would do that. At my prior job, I got the company to get X1 after I had mentioned how well the free client worked for me at home. My new company didn't have it either, but I don't think I'll recommend it now. I might try Xobni if I can't get X1 to work.
fredhag

Postby Kenward » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:10 am

Were you trying to install X1 as a free version? Did you have a registration number?

X1 changed the way it does things not long ago. They no longer have a completely free version. It stops working altogether after 30 days.

They do make this very clear in the downloads area and there has been a lot of talk about it here. I do hope you checked before you stormed ahead.

By the way, X1 has also put the price down to $50, which should be low enough for even the poorest of businesses, even in these times of financial turmoil.

X1 has not, so far as I know, done anything "to inhibit downgrades". It is, though, quite capable of leaving stuff behind after you uninstall it. (X1 is not alone in this, over on another group we are chatting about what it takes to fully eliminate Microsoft Office from a computer, which makes X1 look easy in comparison.)

You can find a lot of things around here about a complete clean out of X1. That might get you back to where you can use a free version. Then again, it is possible that the files you dug up are not even the last free version.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to General Discussion