searching attachments

This forum is to discuss general things about X1.

Moderator: Mods

searching attachments

Postby sambo » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:42 pm

I've recently (today) installed X1 Professional Client version 6.2.

It appears that the software has completed indexing of my computer.

I am trying to get the X1 software to search for words/phrases in attachment files, specifically Word and PDF file attachments to emails.

I am currently using Mozilla Thunderbird as my email client. I also have Outlook Express installed on the computer, with many old emails (circa 2004 and back).

X1 appears to have indexed most (if not all) of the emails from Outlook Express. It does not appear to have indexed Thunderbird attachments (maybe 20 different emails with attachments are listed by X1 - there should be thousands).

When I enter a keyword (for example, the phrase "thomas watson", which is within a Word document attached to an email), it does not find the keyword phrase. I have used the "ALL" tab, the "attachment" tab, and the "email" tab with the same results

So, two problems:

1) How do I get X1 to index the Thunderbird attachments?
2) How do I get X1 to search attachments properly for phrases?

Thanks for your help...
sambo

Postby w0qj » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:37 am

Sounds like X1 did not finish its Initial Indexing yet... I've had no problem indexing my Thunderbird emails (but then again, i was using Thunderbird v1.x back then...)

If you have a lot of data to index, the Initial Indexing takes anywhere from 24-48 hours, with your computer left alone with no other programs running...

Good luck!
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby sambo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:01 pm

nope - it's been a few days, computer hasn't been off, and the thunderbird attachments still do not appear. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Sam
sambo

Postby w0qj » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:26 pm

What version of Thunderbird are you using?
Rgds / Mr. Wong

w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby sambo » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:30 am

ah - perhaps that is the problem - it's not thunderbird, but Mozilla 1.7.7 - a combo browser/email client.

That does not explain, however, why I cannot find keywords in attachments in OE attachments. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for your help.
sambo

Postby w0qj » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:19 am

Like i've said, i suspect X1 did not finish your Initial Indexing...

I also use OE, so let's compare notes:

1. Check to make sure X1 is indexing everything in OE:
Tools>>Options>>[Outlook_Express]>>[Select_Folders_To_Scan]

2. Check how many emails are in OE, vs how many emails were found by X1:

-In OE, click [Local_Folders], and manually count the total number of emails (it will give # of emails in each folder)

-Click on [Email] in X1, and count the number of emails found by X1, it should be the same, IF Initial Indexing had finished...

Good luck!
Rgds / Mr. Wong

w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby sambo » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:25 am

I don't think that's the issue.

If I examine an attachment that X1 has indexed, and search for a word in the attachment (like "haul"), X1 does not produce any matches. I'm hoping it will find the word "haul" in the attachment, but it says there are no matches.
sambo

Postby stodd » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:36 am

I can confirm that with the latest Thunderbird (2.0.0.12), X1 can do a proper job of indexing both emails and their attachments. It is for me, though I do have an issue with some 'shadow' emails being indexed in the wrong place as well.

Has it indexed the emails themselves properly? Is it only the attachments that are not properly indexed?

Have you checked in 'menu~Tools_Options~email~Thunderbird~Select Folders to Scan' that you have all the correct folders selected?

What state do you have under 'menu~Tools_Options~email~Thunderbird~Manual Indexing'. At one point, mine went into a funny state and was not indexing my new emails. I had not intentionally taken any action to stop it. Stirring the Manual Indexing button a couple of times brought it back to action.
stodd
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

X1 + Thunderbird does not index .doc and .ppt ?

Postby cpot » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:52 am

Hi,

I have the same issue (.doc and .ppt not indexed). However I wonder if it is because I don't have Office installed (only OpenOffice).

Only PDF are indexed.

Thanks for any help

Christopher
cpot

Return to General Discussion