Can X1 search Outlook Conversation History

This forum is to discuss general things about X1.

Moderator: Mods

Can X1 search Outlook Conversation History

Postby saskep » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:12 am

I have Office Communicator setup to archive conversations in outlook under the Conversation History folder.

How do you get X1 to search that folder?
saskep

Postby Kenward » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:56 pm

You titled this "Outlook Communicator" but you refer to "Office Communicator".

Seems to be a new toy in Office 2007. Am I right?

If so, could be a new toy that the folks at X1 need to get to grips with.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby saskep » Thu May 01, 2008 5:28 am

Yes, I meant "Office Communicator". With Office Communicator there is a feature that allows you to

"Save my instant message conversations in the Outlook Conversation History folder".

That appears as a new folder in outlook under the Mailbox parallel to the Inbox, Sent Items, etc... as a folder called "Conversation History".

With X1 this folder shows up under Select Folders To Scan and I have it CHECKED, however searches with X1 does not appear to "really" be reading in this text.

-Ken
saskep

Postby Kenward » Fri May 02, 2008 2:32 am

This might need one of those magic plugins that X! now supports.

If this is a new thing from Microsoft, then X1 may have to wait for people to write the iFilters and viewers that it takes to make new stiff searchable.

One sign of progress might be if Microsoft's own desktop search software handles this data. Have you investigated that?
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby saskep » Mon May 05, 2008 2:51 pm

Yes, search within Microsoft Outlook works fine.
saskep

Postby Kenward » Tue May 06, 2008 1:33 am

That's not what I meant.

You asked about Office Communicator. You wanted to search stuff in that.

If Communicator keeps data in something other than Outlook's PST files, then you need some extra bits. One way to see if these exist is to look at Microsoft's own desktop search (DTS) toy, not Outlook's own DTS. If that can handle Communicator, then there is a chance that X1 can "borrow" some of the bits.

If Communicator just holds stuff within Outlook, then X1 should be able to deal with it anyway.

I guess we are a bit lost here because no one else seems to have any experience with Communicator.

Far too much software comes along and holds its data in formats that no other software can get at. These days, I reject many tools on the grounds that they cannot work with X1. The last thing I need is yet another bit of software that demands that I use its own search feature to find things.

If that is how Communicator works, then I would avoid and look for another way of achieving what I want that does work with X1.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Kenward » Sun May 11, 2008 10:23 am

saskep wrote:Yes, I meant "Office Communicator". With Office Communicator there is a feature that allows you to

"Save my instant message conversations in the Outlook Conversation History folder".

That appears as a new folder in outlook under the Mailbox parallel to the Inbox, Sent Items, etc... as a folder called "Conversation History".

With X1 this folder shows up under Select Folders To Scan and I have it CHECKED, however searches with X1 does not appear to "really" be reading in this text.

-Ken

If Outlook really is holding messages in a standard Outlook folder within your regular PST file, then X1 should find it, so long as it knows that that folder exists.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Office Communicator 2007 saving to Outlook Standard Folder

Postby webdad » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:17 pm

I also have Office Communicator 2007, and X1 does not appear to be "seeing" the Conversation History folder that is created in the Mailbox folder. The folder is a peer of "inbox" and "deleted items", etc.

I've got the folder checked in the X1 Options for Outlook indexing but searches never seem to find any hits in this folder.

I checked properties for the Conversation History folder and it appears to be the same as the inbox from a structure perspective.
Raymond J Price
webdad

Searching Conversation History -- Any further thoughts?

Postby webdad » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:48 am

Anyone find anything else regarding the ability to search conversation histories?
Raymond J Price
webdad

Postby mlearner » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:15 pm

Has there been any movement on this issue? I'm not able to search my Outlook Communicator's saved Conversation History even though they appear in my Mailbox as messages (They are not however, in the Inbox).

I am able to specify the Conversation History folder when i adjust the indexing configuration of X1, but no conversations seem to be indexed.

I have manually dragged the items into a folder on my desktop. When this is done, X1 indexes them, but not before.

Windows Search does not seem to find anything either when i search using "A word or phrase in the file: ".

Thanks for any info.
ML
mlearner

Re: Can X1 search Outlook Conversation History

Postby richardr » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:57 pm

I would also find this feature very helpful. Our company (large multi-national mobile communications) uses Office Communicator extensively to connect its teams worldwide and even building-to-building. It is a major hassle to search through old conversations for nuggets of information.

I think X1 is far superior to Google, Microsoft desktop search, etc. for professional tasks. But I had to buy Lookeen just for this one feature alone; I use X1 for everything else. BTW, Windows Desktop Search also indexes the Outlook Conversation History.

These conversations must not be kept in .PST files (at least not in the normal way) or else X1 would already work. Can you see about adding this to the next update or perhaps a plugin? It would be very useful and much appreciated.
richardr

Postby randyh1 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:41 pm

Wow, it's been a year since any response on whether anyone has gotton this to work. Has there been any movement on this issue?
randyh1

Postby lostinatx » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:11 pm

what I did works for me:
make a new folder in a local PST file. call it "conversations" if you like.
Go to the "conversation history" folder which should be listed under the top level exchange folder (mine's called mailbox).
Move all the old conversations to the new folder. X1 should scan these, no problem, making them all searchable.
all done.
lostinatx

Postby Kenward » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:23 am

I gather that the new version of Outlook, which wasn't around when this discussion got going, is better at handling "conversations".

Does it do so in a way that x1 can exploit?
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby lostinatx » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:41 am

Kenward, not sure how to answer you, but I am using Office '07 and X1 6.2.4.
lostinatx

Postby Kenward » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:25 am

I wasn't expecting an answer so much as input from someone on Outlook 2010.

If the implementation of conversation presentation changes things for x1, then anyone requiring this feature might want to make the leap to the new version of Outlook.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby mbennett » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:52 am

Not much activity on this for the 3+ years since it was first opened.
As has already been stated, there is a "Conversation History" folder in Outlook (I'm using 2007) under Mailbox (peer to Inbox, Drafts, Deleted Items,...) that is populated by the Office Communicator product. How the actual records get in the folder "should" be irrelevant; the point is that the folder exists and has data (selecting it shows similar columns to other mail folders: From, To, Subject, Received, Size,...).
It is listed among the other folders in X1 (Tools -> Options -> Indexing -> Email -> Outlook: Select Folders To Scan...).
X1 is aware of it and can open it, as evidenced by its inclusion in the list of folders in my Mailbox and archived PST files, and its knowledge of the number of items in that folder (displayed in the Folder Selection window).
So first question - is someone at X1 aware of this folder's existence in Outlook? If so, is there some non-default setting that needs to be changed to enable its indexing (I do have it selected)?
I don't know if this folder's format is somehow different from the other Outlook folders, but it would be helpful to know whether X1 at least is aware of it and if they know why it isn't being included in the indexing results.
Are there plans to support its inclusion in the near future?
mbennett

Postby Greg Dawes » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:34 pm

mbennett wrote:Is someone at X1 aware of this folder's existence in Outlook? If so, is there some non-default setting that needs to be changed to enable its indexing (I do have it selected)?
Yes, we are aware that this folder exists; however, X1 is not able to index the contents of the Conversation History folder. While it may appear that this is simply another folder that should be automatically indexed, this folder type is different -- just as emails, tasks, calendar and contacts are different folder types.

mbennett wrote:Are there plans to support its inclusion in the near future?
In the near future (3-6 months), I don't suspect that the Conversation History folder will be added to the types of folders that are indexed.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby AGlassman » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:28 am

As a workaround, until X1 can index Office Communicator "Conversation History" folders, I setup the following to automatically copy any new items in "Conversation History" to "Sent Items". Once in "Sent Items", X1 seems to be able to index the items. I have not tried it, but I would think you could also use a new folder (e.g. "Conversation_Histories") instead of "Sent Items".

Install MAPILab "Advanced Folder Watch" (Freeware)
http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/folders_watch/

Tools -> Options. | Advanced Folder Watch |
New rule that monitors folder "Conversation History".
No filer conditions.
Notification is "Create copy in folder: Sent Items".

And I also setup Outlook Auto-Archiving to delete older items from "Conversation History".
AGlassman

Postby AGlassman » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:46 am

Another work-around (already mentioned in this thread) is to setup the Office Communicator Conversation History folder for Auto-Archive to a standard (i.e. "Sent Items" type) PST folder. Once the Save Conversation items have been archived to a "standard" folder, X1 will be able to index them. You just manually add the PST and the folder to your X1 search. The downside of this is that the minimum frequency for Outlook Auto-Archive is 1 day. Which means your X1 search won't show conversations from the last day.
AGlassman

Postby sunandwavs » Wed May 16, 2012 12:37 pm

I hope this thread is not too old for yet another post. Are workarounds still needed for the Conversation History folder in Outlook 2010 using X1 6.7.3?
sunandwavs

Postby AGlassman » Mon May 21, 2012 8:57 am

X1 version 6.7.3 with Outlook 2007 still has this issue. Do not know about Outlook 2010.
AGlassman

Postby AGlassman » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:15 pm

Update for 2013 - X1 still does not index Outlook Conversation History items. And, the trick of workaround of moving the Conversation History items into a "standard" email PST no longer works. At this point it would appear that Conversation History items are totally invisible to X1.
AGlassman

Return to General Discussion